cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Sakamoto4
Journeyman III

5800x all core boost issue

Just installed my 5800x last week, temps are great so far under a 280 aio.  Seeing a problem when running cinebench R20 though.  While others including Gamers Nexus have reported all core boost as high as 4.53 GHz, mine is only boosting to around 4.5 GHz all core with PBO2 enabled.  My BIOS with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0 will not let me adjust the curve

optimizer for undervolting for some reason. I'm seeing that CPU power is in the red at 114W, I thought that could go up to 140W without too much trouble.  Is this expected behavior?

CPU: 5800x

Motherboard: ASUS B550-F Gaming

AIO: Phanteks Glacier One 280MP

Power Supply: EVGA G5 850

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
1 Solution
rumple
Adept II

You have to do the changes in BIOS, because the settings can be a pain in the butt to save and test with Ryzen Master.

Under light all core loads, I get 4600mhz all core see below.  Under full occt, small extreme, I run from 4300mhz to 4375, roughly.  Remember to credit professor twitchy.  lol

Full disclosure....I'm just a user.  I'm not AMD.   lol.   Here's the magic:   In BIOS, set PBO2 curve optimizer to Per Core, now set the first set of cores / CCD to all negative 30, and set the cores on the second CCD set to all negative 26.   Now find and set CPU votlage to offset voltage mode, and set the offset to negative 0.1v.  Find and set LLC power config to CPU LLC level 4.  Now that you have significantly lower voltage to the CPU, it should stay clocked up higher for longer, and give you higher benchmarks.  Just run OCCT on small data, extreme tests, to make sure you're stable.  Also take some time to look at the SPD data on your RAM,  and see what the FAST/SAFE timings are in the Ryzen DRAM calculator software.  You may be able to run the RAM at the FAST settings (lower CAS latency, RAS, trfc, etc), with a touch more voltage on the RAM.  Hynix will usually run 1.45v daily, and samsung will normally run at 1.52 daily, not sure about Micron and others.  Your score will go up by up to 10% after these tweaks.   Credit goes to Professor Twitchy.  EDIT - As for temps.  During mem test, 58 degrees. During all core light load, 75 degrees.  During all core heavy load, AKA torture test, it's 90 degrees, at the PPT/TDC limits, which on my 5900x are:  PPT200, TDC 150, EDC 200   Note that when you have the EDC/PPT/TDC too high, you're gonna push the CPU harder than needed due to the voltage/current relationship, so locking in 200/150/200 or slightly lower may help increase benchmarks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
rumple
Adept II

You have to do the changes in BIOS, because the settings can be a pain in the butt to save and test with Ryzen Master.

Under light all core loads, I get 4600mhz all core see below.  Under full occt, small extreme, I run from 4300mhz to 4375, roughly.  Remember to credit professor twitchy.  lol

Full disclosure....I'm just a user.  I'm not AMD.   lol.   Here's the magic:   In BIOS, set PBO2 curve optimizer to Per Core, now set the first set of cores / CCD to all negative 30, and set the cores on the second CCD set to all negative 26.   Now find and set CPU votlage to offset voltage mode, and set the offset to negative 0.1v.  Find and set LLC power config to CPU LLC level 4.  Now that you have significantly lower voltage to the CPU, it should stay clocked up higher for longer, and give you higher benchmarks.  Just run OCCT on small data, extreme tests, to make sure you're stable.  Also take some time to look at the SPD data on your RAM,  and see what the FAST/SAFE timings are in the Ryzen DRAM calculator software.  You may be able to run the RAM at the FAST settings (lower CAS latency, RAS, trfc, etc), with a touch more voltage on the RAM.  Hynix will usually run 1.45v daily, and samsung will normally run at 1.52 daily, not sure about Micron and others.  Your score will go up by up to 10% after these tweaks.   Credit goes to Professor Twitchy.  EDIT - As for temps.  During mem test, 58 degrees. During all core light load, 75 degrees.  During all core heavy load, AKA torture test, it's 90 degrees, at the PPT/TDC limits, which on my 5900x are:  PPT200, TDC 150, EDC 200   Note that when you have the EDC/PPT/TDC too high, you're gonna push the CPU harder than needed due to the voltage/current relationship, so locking in 200/150/200 or slightly lower may help increase benchmarks.

0 Likes

I finally found the curve optimizer.  Turns out there are two places to find Precision Boost settings on ASUS boards, under AI Tweaker and under Advanced.  After going into advanced, I was able to set it to negative 30.  Running Cinebench again, I am at 4700 MHz all core, 4.85 single core, no manual overclock needed.  Could probably mess with the Auto OC setting a bit, but I think I'm good for now.  Thanks!

0 Likes