Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept I
Adept I

Re: 5600x / WHEA Logger 18 Cache Hierarchy Error / Kernel Power error 41

Jump to solution

My system is similar like yours. I have ryzen 5 5600x, corsair 16gb 3600mhz, Asus b550-f rog strix, 650w psu. I am able run both occt and occt memory test without crashes (XMP/DOCP enabled, PBO disabled) so i think one of your hardware must be defective?

Im no expert but from my experience, whea 18 error is not always from cpu. It could be from any other part. I had this issue on my rx 5600xt gpu (green screen reboot when playing total war games). I swapped to nvidia gpu 2 days ago and so far, no more whea 18 crash. I dont know if this fixed the issue, will have to see in 1/2 weeks.

from what i've gathered around this forum, the one with faulty CPU (and got the new one through RMA) also get whea 19 error. Do you get whea 19 error too?

and does the processor core always show the same number (number 4) on the whea 18 event log? If yes, maybe try to disable that core and run occt again. 

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hello :)

I have read some posts over several forums and you are right, this errors are not exclusivelly CPU errors.

Today I have tried to change the GPU. I use a Geforce RTX 2070, and I changed it to test the system with an older GTX 970 I have on a little server. The problem persisted. 

I also tried to disable the external audio card I use to record vocals, guitar etc. The problem persisted.

Do you get whea 19 error too?

No, I have never had the WHEA 19 error.

Does the processor core always show the same number (number 4) on the whea 18 event log? 

No, the processor ID changes every time the error pops up.

Right now my biggest suspect is the CPU, then the MOBO and last the RAM (I applied memtest and gave me the error I posted in the OP).

Any advice is welcome :)

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hmm showing different core ID on every error might be a good indication that the problem is not from cpu. Usually when cpu goes bad, it starts from one of the core acting up (unless the manufacturer botched up the architecture on your unit). I could be wrong tho, as i said im no expert at this.

whea 18 error is tricky to troubleshoot as it doesn't tell much and can be triggered by pretty much anything (hardware, bios, power failure, etc). Best bet is to swap each component to rule out the problematic/okay hardware. You ruled out gpu and psu it seems, so i guess your next move would be to test your cpu in other motherboard?

edit: this thread might interest you https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/just-bought-a-new-build-ryzen-5-5600x-gt-cpu-failure/td-p/42...

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thank  you for the recomendation. 

I already saw that Post and read all the comments. I tried everything related to BIOS changes or CPU/RAM configuration. BIOS updated to the last version, I even tried to go back to versions where people said they stopped haveing the issue anymore, but no results.

I have read that Gigabyte use to release the BIOS updates a little bit late, so maybe that is the fix.

Hearing that it may not be the CPU is a little bad news for me, but I already ask for a RMA. 

I do not have another motherboard to test my CPU unfortunatelly.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Well, for anyone having this issue, I just RMA the Ryzen and the Motherboard, so...

Or the processor was faulty, or the mobo version or the mobo itself was faulty.

Not very much help, but it is something.

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
0 Kudos