cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Marcus2012
Adept II

5600x WHEA error reboots at idle CPU? RAM? MOBO? BIOS?

Hi everyone

This is my first AMD build and I was having an issue.  I was hoping someone could help please?  My build is

ASUS B-550F Gaming Wi-Fi
BIOS 2423
AMD 5600X
EVGA RTX 2070 ultra XC
EVGA 750GQ PSU
Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16

The problem I have is that I get reboots (no BSOD) when idling. The most apparent example of this is playing CSGO (FS windowed) and then tabbing the second screen and walking away. CSGO at this point is lower frame rate and CPU usage. Then upon reboot I get the following WHEA error.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

This means very little to me but I understand this is a more than common and can potentially be a few things. Most people tend to RMA their CPU and this solves their problem (I can do this if needs be but I can still return to store).
Before I do that though I wanted to be sure that it wasn't anything else. e.g.

RAM speed. 3600MHz is technically out of spec (too fast?)
Motherboard BIOS settings (all set to docp settings)

As there was no BSOD at all I was confused so I began to see that maybe it was Power Supply Idle Control which others had mentioned. I understand this is because at low loads the PSU thinks the computer is sleeping and kills power? I have now set it to typical and can idle with CSGO...for now.

I have the option to change my CPU in store (they have been very accommodating) but do I need to? Should I test longer? The thing is I've never known how to "simulate" a proper idle short of just walking away for hours and this doesn't seem to trigger it. it's almost like it has to go from real high load to nothing for it to happen.

If anyone can offer me some advice it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone

33 Replies