Did you mean: 

Processors

MaxGriner
Adept I

5600x TPM makes bitlocker crash

Hi all,

I have big issues with my new 5600X.

system:

Windows 10 Pro (tried both danish and english, and 2 different install medias, no change)

MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk wifi

AMD 5600x

Samsung 980 Pro m2

g.skill cl16 3600

gtx 1080FE

corsair rm850x

I want to use the AMD TPM which is integrated in 5600x. However each and every time i enable bitlocker, after reboot it goes directly into disk repair and analyse loop. i have installed windows more than 50 times with different tweaks to try to find the culprit.

I have tried all available MSI bios versions (1.35 - 1.40 - 1.53beta - 1.50 stable)

Bios is set to:

UEFI mode (CSM disabled)

Secure boot enabled

TPM enabled (2.0) (in device manager, it says AMD TPM 2.0 Manufacturer version 3.51.0.5)

I have tried with newest windows drivers (windows update) i have tried with MSI chipset drivers, and i have used native AMD x570 chipset drivers. no change in outcome. Windows is pathed to newest version 20H2.

no matter what i do, upon enabling bitlocker, it requests restart to start encrypting, and it goes directly into disk analysis and repair loop, which cant be saved.

when bitlocker is not enabled, system runs stable, cool and generally no issues at all.

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue, its killing me that i cant get it to run. system is brand new, and its build on reasonable good quality parts i would say. as mentioned i have reinstalled windows pro more than 50 times now with different configuration tweaks to try tin find the root cause, but its the same issue each and every time.

thanks

Max

0 Likes
10 Replies

If you are using firmware TPM (CPU) then you need to have AMD fTPM setting enabled in BIOS. 

Found this MSI Forum Thread with the same motherboard and processor (unless this was you) TPM issue: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/ftpm-activated-in-uefi-but-windows-10-does-not-allow-bitl...

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160828.png

seems to be more of a BIOS issue than CPU issue. I would open a MSI Support ticket and open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form and see what they both suggest.

Found this old AMD Thread where another User is having issues also with the 5600x and TPM found that by downgrading the BIOS it started working.

So, in my opinion, it seems to be a BIOS issue.

FYI: From what I have read firmware TPM (fTPM) is not as secure as having a TPM Module installed in case you want to go that route if you can't get firmware TPM to work you your motherboard.

Your Motherboard does an a TPM Module connection on it.

EDIT: The BIOS nomenclature of the Motherboard you posted doesn't correlate with the BIOS nomenclature of MSI Support BIOS versions.

Screenshot 2021-02-09 163203.png

I don't see BIOS versions 1.40 or 1.50 or 1.53?

Hi Elstaci,

first of all thanks for your inputs, its appreciated.

MSI uses once in a while bit differente ways to label their bios'es. when it was beta, they called it 1.53. therefore i assumed it was the syntax. however you are right, it would be 135, 140, 153 and 150. i am currenlty on newest non-beta version (150):

Bios version.jpg

Also TPM is enabled, and its running UEFI mode only:

UEFI mode.jpgAMD TPM Enabled.jpg

Also i have a case open with MSI, and also a forum post on MSI forums allthough noone has replied yet. I am in dialogue with MSI support, but still hanging in level 1 support, so going through the standard questions, which is of course fair. Hope to get through to level 2 engineers soon.

Thanks again for any inputs!

Hi all,

So I got the solution from AMD. The reason the fTPM is not working is because its an AMD Ryzen cpu Even though AMD Ryzen has integrated firmware TPM (fTPM) its not supported. -Meaning if it doesn't work, its just bad luck. (and also states that AMD fTPM is rubbish if they refuse support on it)

Here the confirmation from AMD support that it doesn't work because its a Ryzen series CPU:

Ryzen not supported.JPG

I must say that it sort of confirms that this is both the first and last AMD cpu i have purchased. yes its fast - but its seemingly really bad in all other areas I think I will stick with Intel again going forward.

Thanks all,

Max

0 Likes

Thanks for the Update.

That is something that is useful to know for the future.

First time I hear that regular Ryzen doesn't support software TPM (fTPM).

That is something that the Motherboard under it Specs or in its Manual for AMD TPM should mention or Note.

You can alway purchase a TPM Modules which are not expensive and use that on your motherboard's TPM connection. It is considered to be safer than using fTPM with the CPU.

Hi Elstaci,

I fully agree, I would have appreciated that it stated so when I turned it on in Bios. (that it might not work as its not vendor supported).

I already ordered a MSI TPM (MS-4136), but I couldn't find one in Europe, so had to order from the states, and it takes a while and also adds shipment and import taxes (meh), so it ends up in around 100-120 dollar. But its not all bad, as you mention I also read somewhere that it should be more safe.

Thanks,

Max

Hi all,

just to conclude this topic. I have meanwhile narrowed it down to be the CPU which has a defect. The reason i can conclude this, is that is has now been tested in 2 completely different builds (all hardware has been replaced besides the CPU, and error is still there). Therefore i have created a RMA request with AMD for a replacement.

I have tried with 2 different motherboards:

MSI MAG Tomahawk X570 Wifi

ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Gaming-E

I have tried with different memory (Both QVL approved):

G.Skill TridentZ Neo

G.Skill Aegis

I have tried with different disks:

Samsung 980 Pro M2

Intenso Sata SSD

I have tried with 3 different TPM's

AMD fTPM (firmware) -which i found out was not supported, so i ordered discrete TPM's after suggestion by AMD Support

MSI MS-4136 TPM discrete module (used on the Tomahawk)

Asus SPI-TPM discrete module (used on the Rog Strix)

I have installed Windows 10 Pro with 4 different medias in 3 different languages to rule out media issues. I have also followed all whitepapers on Bitlocker configuration from Microsoft. I currently run Bitlocker on both my Work PC's (with TPM), and i have used Bitlocker for the last 6 years in my company. Based on these analyses i have concluded that it has to be the CPU which has a bug/defect since it crashes everytime i enable Bitlocker on C:.

I have created a Warranty RMA with AMD. does anyone know how long it usually takes to have the CPU replaced?

thanks all,

Max

What a bummer.

First you got off tracked when you found out the processor doesn't support fTPM and then you continue to have issue with a TPM module installed.

Depends on various factors how long before you receive a replacement from AMD. If AMD has a replacement at hand to send out, how busy the RMA Department is, AMD possibly testing your returned processor, Shipping to your location, etc.

Several Users here at AMD have needed to RMA their 5000 series CPU for various reasons.

Thanks for the inputs elstaci.

Yeah was quite some deroute i took but i believe i have exhausted other possible failure points, which is only fair before shipping it off to AMD.

I will see what they get back with on the RMA ticket.

Wish you all a great weekend ahead

Max

To be clear, the AMD response you received is crap. The Ryzen series DOES support fTPM just fine. See this, my post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ly88ar/amd_ryzen_5600x_and_ftpm_firmwarebased_trusted/

You have a flawed piece of hardware somewhere, but AMD support apparently is flawed too. Sorry.

Thanks echoniner007,

they didnt say that fTPM was not available, just that it was only supported (so that you can complain if it is faulty) on the pro Series. 
I have tried with new motherboard, new ram, new ssd disks, different discrete TPM modules, therefore i strongly believe it must be the CPU which is faulty. I will send it in but havent heard from AMD Rma team since i created the warranty Rma last wednesday. Thinking of sending it in to the retailer instead of amd directly but not sure whats best.

0 Likes