cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

arionpza
Journeyman III

5600x Temps

this is my first time using the AMD products, i bought 5600x  and i have no idea with the temps with this cpu.

when pbo and cpb is auto i have idle temps in 60-77 and spikes and when gaming reach 90-95

when i disable the pbo and cpb temps stay in 55-58 and stable no spikes and gaming just reach 75-80

is this normal on ryzen 5000 series?

i use AIO Cooler MSI MAG 240r, and my specs is 

MSI B550 gaming plus

Corssair Dominator 3200mhz

Corssair RM850

msi 3070 gaming trio

case : msi sekira 500x 

thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies

Try MSI support forum, someone there should help with Bios settings for that board.

I idle 28-31, up to 70-75 in games.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

did u run on stock? or u config the bios?

0 Likes

Config. bios.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Amd Ryzen processors will run like wild horses constrained only by temp, current and power.

The processors are EXTREMELY good at keeping within the specified Thermals.

The only thing is AMD thinks it is okay to let these run up to 90C for 105W TDP processors (5950x)

If you turn Core Performance boost off and/or PBO off,  the processor will run cool.

However you will see a substantial performance loss.

The best way, that I have found is to keep Core performance boost enabled,   PBO set to Advanced

Run Ryzen Master, and note settings for Max Temp,  PPT, TDC and EDC.

Go into BIOS and set PBO Limits to Manual.

Type in the same settings you saw in Ryzen Master,   

Set Thermal Throttle temp to Manual.

Then set the new field that shows up as "Thermal Throttle Temp"   to a Max temp value you desire in Celcius

The Ryzen processor will adjust Frequencies, core dispatch, Hyper Threading, and voltages (1000 times a second) to keep within the Thermal, Current, and Power Loads you specify.  

It does a great job of this, without losing much performance at all.    Try it.  I think you will like it.

0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

There's something wrong with your idle temps, check for background processes in Task Manager to see if anything is causing the CPU load to go up.  If not maybe there's some other mobo setting that is set to not allow the CPU to idle down properly.  Is it the latest BIOS?

My 5800x which is the hardest Ryzen 5000 to cool, in a 30C room is idling around 42C using an air cooler.  And I have PBO and CPB turned on but no other messing around with voltages and stuff.

Under heavy load these CPU's try to run as fast as possible all the way up to power and temp limits (for 5600X it's 95C, for other Ryzen 5000's its 90C), so thats normal.

I've found that the CPU boosting causes the most power consumption and temp increases by far.  If you disable CPB, the boosting is disabled, but you can also disable boosting in Windows power management, just set Max Processor state to 99% instead of 100%.  Then enjoy much lower temps and power usage under load (you lose a bit of performance tho).  And great thing is you can creeate a separate power profile and create a batch file to switch to it whenever you want.  Or have it switch automatically when runnig games for example.

But anyway those idle temps are def too high.

0 Likes

I agree with the prior poster that the idle temps ARE way too high.

I missed that.  Sorry.

One thing to watch for,  sometimes windows screws up the Power Plan.

Go : Control Panel ==> Power Options ==> Go to your current active plan and click change plan settings

click change advanced power settings ==> expand processor power management 

expand minimum processor state ==> examine what it is set to,  twice in 4 builds Windows defaulted to 90% for minimum

Don't let that happen to you.

0 Likes

5600x and 240 asus tuf aio, Suprim x 3080. 

59c on average playing Squad, max 64c. Fans never max out, keeping noise at bay.

Gpu 66c on average.

Using Hwinfo.

0 Likes