Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Jumu
Adept III

5600x and b550 might be tricky for RAM to work

Hello!

I updated the bios to 2006 and it seems when docp is activated, i get random restarts. Without it pc seems stable. Windows memory test doesnt show any abnormalities. I tried looser timings and lower to 2800mhz, its a bit more stable, but still crashes and boots. Cpu hits 80 celsius while gaming.

Do i have to buy different memory kit, cause ryzen or asus board doesnt work with this memory? 

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 5600x, Asus Tuf gaming B550-plus, Suprim RTX3080, 16gb Corsair (cmk16gx4m2d3000c16). Sticks are in the right slots. PSU 750 w MSI gold.

BIOS- 2006, 20.3.2021.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Stable at 2800mhz cl16 and 1.41V. This is good enough... So if you have similar problems, try increasing dram voltage.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

I Bought new memory for my system:

Kingston fury renegade 3600mhz cl16/32gb. (KF436C16RB1AK2/32)

It works straight with the docp profile! No need to up the volts or anything!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
40 Replies

try run this for 24 hours if you are pbo2 tweaking.... else need some time trouble shoot it.........

https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I'm currently only intrested getting it stable.

0 Likes
Hurt
Adept I

Did you try to enable DOCP, but disable CPB (Core Performance Boost)?

0 Likes

Yes, i tried only docp.

It seems that older bios was able to do that (docp on, other overclocks disabled), newer one is causing crashing.

0 Likes

Not D.O.C.P., but CPB (Core Performance Boost).

On my board's BIOS, this option is in "Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Core Performance Boost". Try to set it from Auto to Disabled for testing. Your CPU will not go in boost mode (e.g. 4,6GHz instead of 3,7GHz for a Ryzen 5 5600X), but just for testing. You can leave D.O.C.P enabled.

0 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, i'll try that. If it works that way, what is to solution or what needs to be replaced?

0 Likes
kurdtnz
Adept III

Was your RAM on your motherboards QVL list?

0 Likes

It wasn't on the qvl list. I've heard that it shouldn't be a problem. There are only a few options on that list.

0 Likes

I'm also troubleshooting with asus, they are looking into it, for two weeks now... 

0 Likes

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

with XMP profile - cold boot after disconnecting from electricity. If disconnected for 1-3 hours, it sometimes starts normally. If disconnected overnight - will not start and  Mobo Q-codes are 0d or IF.

If XMP is disable - there is no problems with cold boot after disconnecting from electricity.

MemTest - no errors AIDA - no errors. No CPU overclocking. The system is stable.

Asus Technical support can not explain what the problem is (mayby CPUs memory controler).

XMP profil is 3597Mhz 18-19-19-39. If I set timmings manualy: 3600Mhz 19-22-22-43 everything is OK.

What do you think, can it be a CPUs memory controler issue?

CPU: 5600x; Mobo: Asus Rog Strix B550-E; BIOS: 2006; 

RAM: Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3600C16 ver 4.31 from QVL; GPU: Asus RX470-4G-gaming;  OS Disk: Corsair MP510 480MB; PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-550 Platinum

0 Likes

I'm not sure whats going on. Local pc store said they had one similar pc, in which they replaced almost all parts. Finally they got it work with a beta bios update. They said that ryzens are tricky with memory... 

I would build my system on intel if i could do it again... If your system is working that good, don't change a thing. Maybe try bios update like six months from now, let it mature a bit.

0 Likes

The point with the beta BIOS update is interesting. There's one available for my mainboard, but the manufacturer of my PC (bought it as complete PC) said that I will lose warranty if something goes wrong during the update (don't know if he meant general BIOS updates or because of the beta update) and I should send the PC back to Germany (I'm located in Austria) so that they can fix the issue ...

For sure my next system will be an Intel one as well!

0 Likes

Bios updates are reliable and don't brake anything and it should not void warranty from the rest of the system. But to be safe, you could sent your pc back to them for repair. Please get back to me, if they tell you what was wrong. Good luck! 

0 Likes

To be fair, BIOS updates are not hazard free at all, if done incorrectly or if a power cut happens during the update, it can totally brick your board, forum after forum are full of threads where people have done just that. Granted, it is a lot easier and safer nowadays with less problems but even with people who have been building PC's for years, BIOS updates can still give them the shivers   To be honest, with your case, it still sounds like a RAM problem. It is true, Ryzen's are so picky when it come to memory, only advice I can give is always make sure the RAM is on the motherboards QVL compatibility list.

0 Likes

I ordered some RAM modules that are on the compatibility list of my mainboard and they will arrive today. I'm eager to try them out.

Yeah, BIOS updates aren't without any risks of course, but I think it shouldn't make any difference if you try a "stable" BIOS or a BIOS flagged as beta - but the manufacturer of my PC thinks different as it seems ...

But I really don't want to send the PC back just to make them a simple BIOS update ...

Let's see if the certified RAM modules are changing anything today.

Using RAM modules that are on the compatibility list of my mainboard didn't help as well

Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming Wi-Fi

Compatibility list: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

Test RAM: G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZN

So last hope (before sending it back) would be the beta BIOS version 2401 (instead of the latest "stable" one - version 2006 - that I've installed now): https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_bios

0 Likes

You listed the Asus Tuf gaming B550-plus as your motherboard in your first post but the link in the last post you posted is a different motherboard!      Wait, sorry, my bad, I got people/motherboards confused. 

0 Likes

It's AMD and poor bios problem. Low quality CPU:s might play a part here also. 

If i were you, i would send it back to the shop.

0 Likes

Sounds like motherboard, I would check the heatsinks AND examine the RAM slots for pin wear it bending I've been seeing used stuff being PACKAGED AS NEW, ALSO i don't USE ASUS ANYMORE... MSI was the ONLY brand with 5000 series bios out the box.

MSI B550 Nitro aka gaming plus but with my name on it. 
HAD 5000 SERIES BIOS FROM FACTORY...

So far NITRO's winners are...

MSI Motherboards... kicked ASUS B550 Rog Strix with a 8pin6pin MSI is only a 8pin

out the box.

5800x 29521 MSI

5800x 29034 ASUS

RX6700xt   28k passmark

RX6800  31k passmark

RX6900xt  34k passmark

RAM MICRON 100% satisfaction rate... how the heck in this day in age when people just don't like to just don't like.

CL16 3600Mhz MICRON LPX RGB...

PowerSupply Apevia ATX-PM1000Watt 80+Gold $84 buy 2 these 6000 cards pull 100+ amps and CPU can pull almost 200amps.. 20% more performance without changing a setting...

CASE Corsair 4000DAirFLOW

AIO Corsair... 120mm just get double thick 120mm Fans with over 100cfm each and u can out perform a 240 until 5ghz...

WD NVME PCIE 3.0 1tb

Sandisk SSD 1tb

WD 4tb HDD

Perfect PC no problems BREAK IN BREAK IN BREAK IN....

ok

0 Likes

Copy that Bnitro...

0 Likes

Id be very wary using an Apevia PSU and calling it a 'Perfect PC.' The internet is literally littered with posts and videos of them frying peoples PC's, they are notoriously bad and outright dangerous power supplies. 

0 Likes

It's not motherboard issue. It's common knowledge that AMD has problems with RAM. 

I found this from Youtube, titled "AMD Ryzen memory issue fix - tutorial". He has found similar remedies for better stability like me.

Bios updates use to be more scary, not nowdays they are. Good boards you can flash back to the working bios. Everything you do wrong can ofcourse damage your system.

IF IT DOESNT BURN UP ITS HOLDING BACK.

also I've yet to burn something up with a power supply unless internal short, water, sweat or something else happened, so stop lyin and stop fryin ur stuff saying its bad stuff... then they throw it on ebay with scratched up screws and folded up needle nose marked backplates saying its never been touched... then get pissed that it doesn't flash.. so I know who I'm designing FOR.

0 Likes

youtube "AMD Ryzen memory issue fix - tutorial"

Hm, this video is 3 years old. Do the suggested fixes / bios settings still apply to "modern" systems (e.g. 3200MHz DDR4 RAMs)?

0 Likes

Watched the videos. Doesn't provide more insight than I've already tried.

Different RAM Speeds, Timings, Voltages, even lowest RAM settings - except for the 2 exceptions that it file-exctraction of 7z files works on Linux at 1.45V DRAM Voltage ant that Star Citizen starts sometimes with 1.45V DRAM Voltage, I still don't have any clue.

With CPB disabled, everything works fine (regardless of the RAM settings, even with 1.35V).

0 Likes

Also with the latest BIOS update (2403 from June 19th), the situation stays the same. So it seems to be a hardware issue (Mainboard / CPU)

0 Likes

In my case (cold start issue when XMP enabled) the new bios 2604 has solved the problem. Before that only timings 19-22-22 at 3600mhz did not cause the cold boot issue.

0 Likes

Sorry. In my case (cold start issue when XMP enabled) the new bios 2403 (not 2604) has solved the problem. Before that only timings 19-22-22 at 3600mhz did not cause the cold boot issue.

0 Likes

I have noticed that the problem with the cold start (after disconnecting from the power supply for the night) occurs when the XMP profile is enabled and the USB keyboard is disconnected. I usually use a Logitech bluetooth keyboard. When I connect the keyboard with a USB cable, the computer starts up fine after disconnecting it for the night. If I disconnect the computer from the power supply for a short time (e.g. for 1 hour), even without a USB keyboard connected, the computer starts normally. When there is no USB keyboard, it shows the following q-codes (Asus B550-E gaming): 14-> 15-> C8-> C2-> 21-> F2-> F9

4 and 8 pin CPU power supply are connected (PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-550 Platinum),

Bios 2403,

RAM: Corsair / CMW16GX4M2C3600C16 ver 4.31 (Samsung B-die), from QVL

0 Likes

you need the beta bios agesa 1.2.0.3b or 3a from asus...... disable c-state should be  fix

else temporary fix is change to other usb slot

0 Likes

Thank you for your replay.

One question:

"change to other usb slot" -  what do I should change to other usb slot?

0 Likes

i means plug in other usb socket

0 Likes
Jumu
Adept III

I gained stability from updating bios to 2403. 1h45min of playing and 30min asus realbench stress test and no problems. DOCP activated and core boost on, so it boosts as it should be. Hopefully it remains this way.

0 Likes

Still getting crashes sometimes...

0 Likes

In my case with latest BIOS I can use XMP profile (corsair 3600 cl18) with no problems whith cold start.

But if I apply XMP and even very smal undervolting with PBO (boost: +0Hz, curve optimizer: -2 for 2 best cores and -5 for the rest) ther are always problems with cold boot (even if there are no errors in the OCCT tests; even with dram voltage 1,5v and soc voltage 1,13v)

So i decided to set DRAM to 3200 (cl 17 in bios, but 18 in cpu-z) with smal undervolting, so that I do not have a problems any more.
In my opinion the results that can be seen in youtube videos are not achievable at home.

I agree with you, mostly not achievable. They have sent Special samples for reviewers.

I managed to get it somewhat stable at 2600mhz cl18 and dram voltage set to 1.39v... (should be 3000mhz cl16). Getting tired of this...

Waiting for intel 12th gen.

0 Likes

Stable at 2800mhz cl16 and 1.41V. This is good enough... So if you have similar problems, try increasing dram voltage.

0 Likes

I Bought new memory for my system:

Kingston fury renegade 3600mhz cl16/32gb. (KF436C16RB1AK2/32)

It works straight with the docp profile! No need to up the volts or anything!

0 Likes