cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

devoureros
Adept I

5 minutes and 30 seconds in to testing using Prime95

No matter what limits I set in the motherboard for power, I have even tried using the Ryzen Master, my PPT will just go crazy and over heat the system and shut it down. I am talking about it going well over the 1k watts that is normal for it. It will just start going crazy and keep going. This takes less than 5 seconds after it hits the 5:30 min mark. It still does the same thing while gaming, but takes about an hour and half of non stop gaming.  I will be going for 5 minutes and 29 seconds with a peak of only 43C with all cores at 100%, then it just goes crazy. The same thing with gaming. If I get over 50C it is rare, and is only for a second or so. That is until the power go through the roof. I going to add a few pictures and several core temp logs, a few are from before I went crazy adding more cooling to my tower.

I am going to run another test, just to try and get a better log for you all, but I stop them before it shuts down. I am at 24c right now, that is not much above my room temp.

When this new test is done I will add the csv log to this post.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Cooling: 6 50 to 75+ CFM 120mm case fans, the Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm AIO, 1 RAM cooler, two smaller RAM coolers over my NB's and VRM.

GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Super Sea Hawk, hybrid with AIO cooler.

RAM: G.Skill 32 GB 16x2 C16 3600MHz

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi

PSU: Corsair CM750x (old, but running great, just waiting for something to come back in stock)

OS: Clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build  19041.264

8 Replies
devoureros
Adept I

Here you can see the temps just jump.

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Do you have PBO turned on?

I have tried it with and without PBO. The last csv that I posted in a reply was with everything reset to out of box, other than the XMP for my RAM.

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

I can't think of anything apart from PBO that should be able to change the PPT limit like that.

Even then I have no idea why it would trigger it after 5 min 30 sec.

If your motherboard bios has the options you could maybe try setting PBO to advanced and set PPT limit etc to the proper values and see if it sticks to them.

I think it maybe the VRM issue that seems to plague the MSI MPG motherboards. I am going to try and return this to Amazon. MSI was not help, they just said to RMA it, and I would have to ship it to them and be without a MB until they either repaired it or replaced it.

0 Likes

Have you spoken to MSI support? They should be able to help troubleshoot if it is a board or cpu issue. 

Very odd situation you have. I rarely jump to thinking it is a bad CPU, but if I had to make a guess that would be it. 

Yes, via support ticket. They are not using phone support right now. they just said to RMA it. As I replied to Fyrel, "MSI was not help, they just said to RMA it, and I would have to ship it to them and be without a MB until they either repaired it or replaced it. "

I am on the phone with Amazon right now trying to get it taken care of.

0 Likes

I know how that goes with MSI I am waiting on my board to come back too. The second time, the first board they sent back was DOA. I thought that might get me faster service on the next one but nope. 

0 Likes