cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

VitalBodies
Journeyman III

4 Ryzen computers all hitting EDC of 100%?

Greetings, 

I have four Ryzen computers (5800x, 5900, 5900 and 5900x) and all hit 100 EDC in Ryzen Master during 3D rendering. 
Windows power plan was at balanced and raised it to performance yet the same EDC of 100% holds true? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

No, motherboard wont make a difference if you're not overclocking.

In addition to thermal and power limits, Ryzen CPU's have maximum frequencies that they won't exceed unless you manually overclock.  You're much more likely to see this max frequency on a single threaded workload than a heavily threaded workload because with a heavily threaded workload, you'll hit the processor's power or thermal limit (since all of the cores are doing a lot of work) before you hit the frequency limit.

So with a single threaded load, you might see one of the cores hit, for example, 4.8Ghz, but with 3D rendering you might see all the cores at only, say, 4.5Ghz.  This is normal.

I wouldn't read too much into Passmark results, at least not for the purposes of buying hardware. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

Is there a problem?  Things are working as designed.  These 105W TDP CPU's all have the same fused (pre programmed) EDC, TDC, or PPT values, Windows power plans have no effect on the actual values, and Balance and High Perf plans allow the CPU's to boost up to their limits.  So depending on the kind of load, you can see the CPU's hit one or more of these limits.

If you want to change the actual values, this can be done in the BIOS or thru Ryzen Master - the new values will override the fused ones and so you can lower or raise them depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Thank you for your comments. 
I am not knowledgeable enough yet to know if there is a problem or not. 
The computer renders fine though. 

During 3D rendering (no OC)  I am seeing numbers in RM hovering around:

Temps of 83 of 90.

Frequency of 4500 on all cores of the 5800X on an Asus ROG Strix MB. 

PPT 91%. Of 142 watts. 
CPU Power 110.5 watts

SOC at only 5%? 
TDC 88 of 95A

EDC 100% of 140A 

On the frequency gauge at 4500 the gauge is only just over 50%? 
Does that mean anything? Or mean the frequency could go that much higher? 

0 Likes

Everything looks fine.  SOC is in watts, not % - 5W is pretty normal, I haven't ever seen it go over 7.5W.  Maybe if Infinity Fabric/memory are overclocked, it might go a little higher.

Don't read too much into the size of the frequency bar gauge, that's just the way it looks, your CPU will not boost to 9Ghz lol.

0 Likes

I think my concern was the frequency meter being around 50% and the seeming limiting factor of the EDC. 
Made me wonder if I needed a higher power MB to make full use of the CPUs without OC-ing. 
My simple goal is 3D rendering which tends to be an “all cores at near 100%” endeavor for hours at a time. 
If my mis-concerns are not real, well, it is nice to know that. 
I appreciate your support. 
Do you think there is an advantage to a higher power MB for the 5000 series of CPUs like the 5900 5900x 5950x for 3D rendering? 
I notice on Passmark, many of the fastest systems use a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra MB. 
Is the handling of power what makes those fast? 

0 Likes

No, motherboard wont make a difference if you're not overclocking.

In addition to thermal and power limits, Ryzen CPU's have maximum frequencies that they won't exceed unless you manually overclock.  You're much more likely to see this max frequency on a single threaded workload than a heavily threaded workload because with a heavily threaded workload, you'll hit the processor's power or thermal limit (since all of the cores are doing a lot of work) before you hit the frequency limit.

So with a single threaded load, you might see one of the cores hit, for example, 4.8Ghz, but with 3D rendering you might see all the cores at only, say, 4.5Ghz.  This is normal.

I wouldn't read too much into Passmark results, at least not for the purposes of buying hardware. 

0 Likes