Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Desperado_3d
Journeyman III

3990x Black Screen Problem

Hi there,

I was hesitant to post this question before, but now I really need your help.

I bought 3990x and it runs normally. When I installed the hardware I didn't install a fresh copy of windows 10 (migrated directly from Intel CPU). So I had Ryzen Master freezes the moment I run it.
When I turn on Precision Boost Overdrive from the BIOS or Ryzen Master (If I was lucky and fast enough to turn it on before it freezes) and run Cinebench just for testing, I immediately get complete black screen and unresponsive PC, not even the restart or power button work. So I have to switch the PSU power button off and on to turn the PC on again.

I thought it was because I migrated directly from Intel without reinstalling windows, so I did that. I have a fresh windows copy now. But when I run Cinebench I get the same problem.
Ryzen Master doesn't freeze anymore so it is convenient, but the Cinebench problem when running PBO is still there.

My system is as follows:

Windows 10

CPU: 3990x

GPU: RTX 3090

Memory: CFD 16gb X 2 sticks (there are 3200Mhz but they always run at 2400Mhz)

PSU is 1000 W

Do you guys have any idea why I'm getting the black screen on cinebench when PBO is on?

Cheers,

Sevan

0 Likes
5 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Probably your GPU is crashing.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Desperado_3d, you MUST install a fresh copy of W10.  The old copy knows little about you current processor.  BTW, your processor has quad channel memory controllers.  By only using dual channel memory you have cut your memory bandwidth in half.  Memory speed defaults to SPD speed.  You need to try XMP profile in BIOS to attempt 3200 MHz.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
alicanyildiz
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. 3990x 128GB ram. RTX 3090 - MSI trx40 Pro wifi Motherboard.. When I enable PBO from AMD Ryzen Master or Bios, I cannot render anything. 3ds max, cinebench .. Black screen. and the system freezes. So I have to switch the PSU power button off and on to turn the PC on again.

0 Likes

You probably do not have the same problem.  I suspect with ZERO information that your PSU is too small.  I recommend at least 1000W.  I run 1250 Watts with my 3970X with only 32GB of memory.  If you really want some help then post all your system parts and a Ryzen Master (RM) screenshot while running Cinebench R23.  Please do replace your W10 if you do not have a fresh copy with this build.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

@Desperado_3d wrote:

Hi there,

I was hesitant to post this question before, but now I really need your help.

I bought 3990x and it runs normally. When I installed the hardware I didn't install a fresh copy of windows 10 (migrated directly from Intel CPU). So I had Ryzen Master freezes the moment I run it.
When I turn on Precision Boost Overdrive from the BIOS or Ryzen Master (If I was lucky and fast enough to turn it on before it freezes) and run Cinebench just for testing, I immediately get complete black screen and unresponsive PC, not even the restart or power button work. So I have to switch the PSU power button off and on to turn the PC on again.

I thought it was because I migrated directly from Intel without reinstalling windows, so I did that. I have a fresh windows copy now. But when I run Cinebench I get the same problem.
Ryzen Master doesn't freeze anymore so it is convenient, but the Cinebench problem when running PBO is still there.

My system is as follows:

Windows 10

CPU: 3990x

GPU: RTX 3090

Memory: CFD 16gb X 2 sticks (there are 3200Mhz but they always run at 2400Mhz)

PSU is 1000 W

Do you guys have any idea why I'm getting the black screen on cinebench when PBO is on?

Cheers,

Sevan

First off are you running the latest bios for your board and the latest chipset driver in Windows?

You can test if power is an issue buy running OCCT from ocbase dot com. Watch for dips below 12v. You can run HWINFO to see as test is running what it is doing while it is running as well. Watch Ryzen Master as well. This software can also check your GPU and other components in addition to the Power Supply. 

Also is your memory on the QVL list for your motherboard? If not and even if it is, it is possible that your memory is not getting the correct timing set by PBO. Talk to your ram maker about what the correct timing should be and set them manually. If you still have an issue test one stick at a time. You might just have a bad stick of ram. 

Running OCCT while testing the ram individually is also a good way to test that. 

If none of that bares any fruit. I would talk to the support department of your motherboard. They should be able to offer some help in diagnosing what component they think may be at issue. 

You can also contact AMD support here if you feel you need to: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

0 Likes