Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ncoghlan
Newcomer

3970x Potential Fault?

Hi there,

I just bought the parts for a new render system and after building the machine today, I've had no luck booting up.

CPU: Ryzen 3970x
Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 CPU Cooler - 360mm
MB: AMD Creator TRX40
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz
SSD: Firecuda 520 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive (ZP2000GM3A002)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Platinum '8 Pack Edition' 2000W

On first power-up, I got the error Code 60 (referring to CPU and memory). I tried adjusting the Ram in every slot, trying single slots and also trying another set of Ram from another machine (also Corsair Vengeance but 2x16gb) to which the problem still existed. I also tried removing and remounting the CPU - checking for any bent pins or dud looking buts on it but all seemed to look as it should, I still get the error code 60.

I tried flashing the BIOS as per the manual, downloading first the 1.00 update (the flash worked as indicated by the LEDs). Then Powering up I get error code 00 (referring to CPU issues). I tried unplugging all the cables, the RAM and resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for a minute, then repowering to the same error code 00.

I then tried updating the BIOS to 1.10 and repeating the method above, still to no avail.

I've checked power cables and fan cables and as far as I can see, everything is plugged in correctly and working. I'm wondering what other steps I can take to try and solve this or am I at a stage where I should be considering returning the CPU/MB as potentially faulty?

Thanks,
N

0 Likes
2 Replies

The latest BIOS on the MSI website is version 12 which will be worth trying.  

Support For Creator TRX40 | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

Andy

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

ncoghlan, 60 is DXE (Driver Execution Environment ) Core is started.  It sounds like you have done most of what is possible.  I would suggest checking PS voltages with a DVM.  I suspect the 00 code means nothing, even American Megatrends says it is unused.  I suspect you are aware your processor supports Quad core memory, requiring at lease four sticks to run full memory speed.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes