cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

alonzotg
Adept II

3960x thermal tolerance?

Hey, I'm running 45 threads continuous on my 3960x on top of minimal desktop load. It is driving my thermal solution to 77c according to the little display on my mobo. Is this reasonable? clock is holding 4072 mhz. I need the machine to hold this load nonstop for the next several months.... I cut some of the plastic tabs out of the radiator housing on my case to get better flow but still, I'm kinda worried by this number, I'm used to seeing temps more around 60c on my previous machines. 

0 Likes
5 Replies

The 3960X has 24 cores and 48 threads, something you wouldn't see previously unless you were using a Xeon or other server class hardware. Still, as the maximum temperature is 95*C, 77*C 24/7 is perfectly fine.

0 Likes

Most dual fan 280mm class water coolers should be able to keep a 300W CPU cool.

What are you using for a cooler?

0 Likes
alonzotg
Adept II

My previous build had a 360 mm EKWB cooler loop. I am now using a Heatkiller 4 block with the new CPU, other components retained. I'm not completely happy with my thermal paste application but it seems to be working, mostly. 

0 Likes

I use  MX-4 and apply it so thinly that money is a mile thick

0 Likes

I figured you had to be packing some serious cooling to keep that beast cool. You could always try to manually "overclock", trying for 4.2 or 4.3ghz on all cores with a lower voltage. To quote Anandtech on their 3970X, they were able to get 4300mhz all core on 1.35v and 4200mhz on 1.3v, both times resulting in higher performance, lower power consumption, and lower temperatures than with PBO active, not surprising as AMD is very aggressive in the voltage department. They were using a Thermaltake Floring 360 in their setup.

Even if you were able to shave off 25w of power consumption, assuming 24/7 use and 15¢/kWh, that's about $8, which at current prices is a Wendy's Big Chicken Bag and money left over, not to mention quite a bit less heat thrown off.

0 Likes