cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gwinterborn
Journeyman III

3960x temperature

I recently assembled a new PC for 3D rendering and media creation. It is the first computer I've ever built myself. My knowledge regarding hardware is pretty much limited to understanding concepts like threading and the like so I know how to buy hardware for rendering. I don't know a lot of other technical information about computers, so here I am.

The components are as follows:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Cube (default fans)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Designare TRX40

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x

CPU Cooling: NH-U14S (+ Extra Fan)

GPU: NVidia Titan RTX

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX, 256GB (8 x 32) DDR4 3200, running at XMP 3200

SSD (for boot and storage): Sabrent 2TB Rocket

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X3 DAC

Power Supply: Corsair AXi Series, AX1600i

UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System

During operations in Blender that push all the cores to full load, and around 4466MHz, the CPU temperature can reach as high as 92-94 degrees after 5-8 minutes of rendering. The temperature increase seems to happen more quickly during GPU renders, even though the GPU doesn't seem to reach these temperatures.

Increasing or decreasing the fan speeds of the CPU cooler, or the case coolers, seems to have very little affect on the temperature increase.

While experimenting with Blender's texturing and render settings, coming from a background of other software suites, I noticed renders taking the CPU temperature as high as 94 degrees during an 7-8 minute render.

Interestingly enough, similar load renders in Cinema 4D (same 100% load, same MHz), with the same resource demanding effects and ray bounces, top out at 85 degrees, even if the render goes upwards of twenty minutes. The GPU renders don't have the same affect as Blender's GPU renders, but I suspect this is because Cinema's GPU renders barely use the CPU at all.

My question is, either of an IT support person from AMD or an equally knowledgeable pro-user, especially with 3D rendering experience (but whoever can help is fine, I just don't find that speculation helps), are those temperatures to be expected? I've attached the blender project in question for anyone who wants to run through the render with similar hardware.

I've read the temperature ceiling for the 3960x is 95 degrees. Still, I'd think almost reaching that ceiling, even when rendering, is probably not optimal? I've never before monitored the temperature of a CPU while monitoring, so i have absolutely no frame of reference.

Googling this situation turned up a lot of guessing and speculation. I'd like more solid answers.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Reply

AMD recommends only the specially designed Wraithripper air cooler, or, preferably, high powered liquid cooling due to their high TDP.

https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

0 Likes