cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Togmit
Adept I

3960X System Random Idle Reboots Have Replaced Nearly EVERYTHING

Hello everyone, after much troubleshooting over the past several weeks I am hoping someone can help. I have a new system that I built back at the beginning of March, after running for about a month I started to have issues with random reboots. All these reboots happen at idle or near idle conditions and have not happened at all during strenuous work. My system has no issues when running cpu-z stress test, working with 8k video footage in Premiere, or gaming. I constantly get the infamous Windows Kernel-Power Event ID 41 with no bug check code. Here are some things I have done to troubleshoot:

Updated to latest chipset drivers from AMD site. Installed newest motherboard BIOS. Installed all Windows updates. Updated to latest Nvidia Studio Driver (clean installed). I have also checked my ram using Memtest 86 and after running multiple times (once for 4 passes over 25 hrs) I have no errors. I have also tried all the Windows fixes for this issue (disable fast startup, power plans, etc). I also purchased two different UPS units and verified that my system isn't loosing power from the wall. Nothing is overheating, even under full load my CPU maxes out at around ~83C and stays stable there even when stress testing. Idle temp never goes beyond about 50C. I contacted AMD and RMA'd my CPU, I have also RMA'd my motherboard through Asus and after a few days I started having the same issue with the new parts as well. I have also tested my known-good old Nvidia GTX760 GPU, GTX1070 from my old system, and newly purchased RTX3060 and had the same results with all of them.

Two motherboards, two processors, and 3 graphic cards and I still have the same issue. I don't have another PSU to test but my newly purchased Corsair HX1000 powers another system with no issue (although that system isn't as power hungry). Even though I am not convinced that the PSU is an issue I do have another one on order to try. What am I missing here? I am not new to building system and have built dozens in the past 15 years... I have never seen anything like this. I have never been so frustrated.. this issue seems to be power delivery related but at this point I don't know what else to try. One last bit of info, other than enabling the XMP profile on my memory I haven't done much in the bios. I am running memory at 3200 mhz with a 1:1 fclk ratio. I am not overclocking other than the memory XMP profile or using PBO... my full system specs are below. Thanks!

AMD 3960X
Asus TRX-40 Pro
Corsair Vengence LPX 64GB 3200 (4x 16GB sticks) CMK32GX4M2B3200C16W (on mobo QVL list) 
Fractal Design S36 AIO
Corsair HX1000
2x Samsung 980 Pro NVMe's 
2x WD Caviar Black HDD's

0 Likes
5 Replies
Togmit
Adept I

After having some further discussion on another forum I will be swapping my PSU. We shall see how it goes; if any AMD employee sees this post I can provide my previous support ticket numbers. 

I read a post on this not to long ago, cannot remember where.  It was an older post but seems relevant.  The problem in that post was that the silicon lottery was a bit bad for the poster and they had to eventually do an offset on their voltage so the power would never get so low that their cpu would freak out and crash.  

But, equally as useful, I have seen many posts saying that disabling C_states in the bios eliminates this error also.

Since C_States are probably easier to try, look up how to turn them off for your board and see if that helps you out. 

0 Likes

I have seen some similar posts also, I have also seen a post where the PSU used was the issue... something about it not being able to provide enough stable voltage to the processor under light load conditions. Apparently in older BIOS versions there was an option for "Power Supply Idle Control" or something to that effect that allowed the system to stay above the lower power usage level where many PSUs start to shut down to save power. Apparently Ryzen chips don't like this as they use higher voltage under light loads... I did experiment with disabling C-states and I think it could be a solution. The downside to running with C-states disabled is that my processor doesn't boost above it's 3.8ghz base frequency. Hopefully the change of PSU's will make a difference for me... surely I couldn't have received 2 processors with the same exact issue..?

0 Likes
Richard288
Journeyman III

Check if you haven't got spider web in the socket?

0 Likes
fhricp
Adept I

SOLVED: very similar problem happened to me with 3900X processor on Asus TUF X570 Plus (WiFi). I think it was caused by a recent Asus firmware update over clocking the processor too much (turbo). My processor is rated for 3800Mhz. I noticed in Armory Crate it sometimes went to 4400Mhz. I changed the processor clock ratio from auto to 38 forcing it to stay at 3800 Mhz all the time. The system became rock solid.  I had previously tried many other things including new bigger PSU, memory, memory speed, Windows reinstall, and other bios tweaking.
CPU clock is pegged at 3799, but I'd much rather have a slightly slower stable system than a faster glitchy system. I am convinced the turbo feature of the chip is being tweaked beyond the designed performance envelope of the chip (in other words it's ASUS' fault), OR the chip has a flaw making it susceptible to glitching/resetting when clock/voltage is dynamically changed too much (in other words it's AMD's fault).

0 Likes