cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

esc952
Journeyman III

3950x Thermal Expectations with AIO and plenty of air

I'm running a 3950x with an NZXT Kraken x72 (360mm top-mounted and mounted using Thermal Grizzly Condutonaut Liquid Metal) in a Lian Li 011 Dynamic with 3 side-mount 120mm hi-speed intakes, 3 bottom-mount 120mm hi-speed intakes, the 3 x 120mm NZXT fans output (through the radiator) and an 80mm output fan mounted top-rear of case.  FWIW, I'm also running on an Aorus Elite and using a PowerColor Red Dragon rx590.

This 10-fan (plus VRM fan) setup moves more air than a jet engine...and sounds like one too.  With no OC at all, even set to Performance fan profiles I'll sit about 40 C at idle and mid-70s C during a blender benchmark test and have momentary spikes into the 80s.  I have not tried Prime95 Torture test yet.

My intention is to OC this to 4.3-4.4Ghz all-core.  However, I'm very leery of thermals if they are that high on a non-CBO 3.5ghz base now.

Any thoughts on what I should be expecting?

0 Likes
1 Reply
sdugoten
Journeyman III

I have similar temp on my 3950X.  Around 46C when idle as you see below.  And then it hit around 77C when running Cinebench R20.  Prime95 only make it hit around 70C or so.  And i have PBO and auto overclocking turn OFF.

My cooler is Corsair H115i Platinum on Quiet profile.

pastedImage_1.jpg

I found that thermal paste might make a different as I saw it here

Guru3D Thermal Paste Roundup 2019 - AIO cooling for i9 9900K@5.0 GHz 1.35V 

So, I went ahead and order Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut today and will see how it works with my H115i and 3950X.