cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

springbokwhite
Journeyman III

3950x relatively high temps

I'm running a Noctua NH-D15 with my 3950x and temperatures are hovering at around 50-70 degrees when just doing everyday computer tasks (CPU usage around 3-20%) and it'll easily hit 95 degrees and start throttling whenever I run anything that can take advantage of all 16 cores (like Cinebench). CPU speed also constantly hovers at 4.20 - 4.30 ghz regardless of the workload.

Is this normal behaviour for a 3950x? For reference I'm using Ryzen balanced power mode in windows

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

springbokwhite, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Also post all your parts.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
springbokwhite
Journeyman III

I updated the chipset drivers and it looks like the problem is fixed now, idle temps are still around 50 degrees but in all core workloads the CPU will throttle down to 4.01/4.02ghz and stay below 80 degrees so the problem should be fixed now. I've attached my Ryzen master screenshot if anyone is still interested.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
mrpdaemon
Journeyman III

I'm also running 3950x with NH-D15. My idle temps are around 38'C and 100% load temps are around 65'C for most loads and 85'C for prime95.

Your idle temps seem high. Do you have good airflow in your case (how many case fans do you have installed)? You may need to reapply your thermal paste to get better thermals.

0 Likes

I'm honestly not even sure what's going on with my CPU anymore. Any sort of load (5-10% utilisation) will cause the CPU to work at about 50-70 degrees C; and according to HWinfo none of my cores ever go below 2.8ghz regardless of what my power plan is and what the minimum processor state is set to.

Prime 95 causes my CPU to sometimes jump to 93 degrees C but it generally stabilises at 86 degrees C at 4.05ghz on all cores.

I have both fans on my NH-D15 and the three case fans that came with my case (Corsair 680x) 

0 Likes

I'm in similar config, but have lower temps ( at least at full load). 

Case: Corsair 750D (2x140's in the front pulling in, 1x140 in the rear pushing out)

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi (latest bios, everything at default with exception to memory timings for 3600 cl16 gskill ram and case/cpu fans set to 100% all the time (cpu fans run at 1500rpm and case fans around 1100rpm)

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

NH-D15 *both fans following airflow of case fans)

I've never seen my cpu go over 75 at full load (Cinebench R20)

Using Ryzen High Performance Power setting.

I would 1. verify directions of fans to make sure they are all pushing airflow in the same direction (pulling air in from the front, and blowing air out of the back).  2. Play with the fan speeds, maybe test them at 100% to see if it helps. and if that doesn't help 3. Try Repasting and reapply your noctua.

Also what is the ambient temps in your room?  I live in a very hot area where its in the 100's all summer and my room can easily be in the 90's/100's if I don't have the AC on blast. When I don't have the AC on the idle and max temps are higher.......but not too much..... 

0 Likes