cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

methox
Journeyman III

3950x high temperatures in IDLE (alround 50 celsius degrees)

mment on the forums, I thank you in advance for your help if it is necessary for you to give them the exact version of chipset microcontroller or bios do not hesitate to ask me, thank you very much again, I read yo-After trying infinite settings and fans, with fans in a half-curve configuration of the fans and the pump at 80/100%, the cpu package is usually kept between 50-52 degrees,-After trying infinite settings and fans, with fans in a half-curve configuration of the fans and the pump at 80/100%, the cpu package is usually kept between 50-52 degrees,
I think it's a lot to be in idle, I have all the microcontrollers updated to the latest version as well as the motherboard bios, I tried to change
The box, although Lian Li is not exactly a closed box, just as I had planned to buy the 280 Aco Alphacool EISBAER Extreme, but really the Ryjuin is not a bad year either,
I would like to know your opinions if you think it may be a fault of any part that is defective or is that you simply buy a 16-core toaster, I have seen reviews with this cpu less than 40
degrees with an air cooler and I'm starting to not believe the things I see xD What do friends think? Exchange cpu? Box change? Of aio? , I've been testing for more than 1 week
that I have decided to comment on the forums, I thank you in advance for your help if it is necessary for you to give them the exact version of chipset microcontroller or bios do not hesitate to ask me, thank you very much again, I read you-After trying infinite settings and fans, with fans in a half-curve configuration of the fans and the pump at 80/100%, the cpu package is usually kept between 50-52 degrees,
I think it's a lot to be in idle, I have all the microcontrollers updated to the latest version as well as the motherboard bios, I tried to change
The box, although Lian Li is not exactly a closed box, just as I had planned to buy the 280 Aco Alphacool EISBAER Extreme, but really the Ryjuin is not a bad year either,
I would like to know your opinions if you think it may be a fault of any part that is defective or is that you simply buy a 16-core toaster, I have seen reviews with this cpu less than 40
degrees with an air cooler and I'm starting to not believe the things I see xD What do friends think? Exchange cpu? Box change? Of aio? , I've been testing for more than 1 week
that I have decided to comment on the forums, I thank you in advance for your help if it is necessary for you to give them the exact version of chipset microcontroller or bios do not hesitate to ask me, thank you very much again, I read you-After trying infinite settings and fans, with fans in a half-curve configuration of the fans and the pump at 80/100%, the cpu package is usually kept between 50-52 degrees,
that I have decided to comment on the forums, I thank you in advance for your help if it is necessary for you to give them the exact version of chipset microcontroller or bios do not hesitate to ask me, thank you very much again, I read you
SETUP

case : lian Li pc-011 dynamic
motherboar : asus prime pro x570
cpu : ryzen 9 3950x (STOCK)
rams : gskill 32gb 16x2 3200cl4 (b-die)
psu : evga supernova 1200 p2 80+ Platinum
ssd : adata xpg sx8200 pro (1tb)
aio : asus ryjuin 240mm (push and pull)

thermal paste usage : Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut applied with the pea technique

FANS CONFIGURATION

SIDE
(intake aio)
PUSH into radiator x2 Noctua NF-F12 IPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
PULL into case x2 Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM

SIDE
(alone fan)
Intake x1 NF-S12A PWM

BOTTOM
Intake x1 Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM

Exaust x2 Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
DESCRIPTION
-After trying infinite settings and fans, with fans in a half-curve configuration of the fans and the pump at 80/100%, the cpu package is usually kept between 50-52 degrees,
The box, although Lian Li is not exactly a closed box, just as I had planned to buy the 280 Aio Alphacool EISBAER Extreme, but really the Ryjuin is not a bad aio either,
that I have decided to comment on the forums, I thank you in advance for your help if it is necessary for you to give them the exact version of chipset microcontroller or bios do not hesitate to ask me, thank you very much again, I read you
0 Likes
9 Replies

Guru3D and KitGuru, pictured below, top and bottom, respectively, show that with a Corsair H150 and H100X, it's not unusual to have an idle temperature on the higher side, which isn't a big deal at all given the thermal max. Also, ASUS' AI Suite is horrid at measuring temperatures due to the poling rate, see very bottom, so I hope you are using Ryzen Master, and it's not unusual for Ryzen temperatures to jump around 10*C every few seconds as background things spike a core for a second.

0 Likes
nunyabzness
Adept II

Methox,

My configuration follows:

Phanteks Enthoo 719 case

Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme

G.Skill 3600 16-16-16-36 4x16GB

Custom Loop:

EK 480mm XE rad and EK reservoir (running ~1.5L fluid in total)

Noctua PWM-3000 fans throughout 8x120mm 2x140mm: 140s are blowing down over the VRM and block from the top, Rad is front mounted with rad fans blowing outward to front and 4x fans bringing in fresh from side.

Smart fan roughly linear from 20% below 30c to 100% at 60c

Alphacool block

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut compound (spread via business card method)

All voltages stock/auto, "most" parameters stock, except enforcing XMP and memory voltage at 1.35. Haven't done any subtiming tuning yet...

System is running Hyper-V/VBS and a couple of low load VMs under Windows 10, so nothing is ever truly idle, but it's close.

Idle temperatures are in the low 30c range and at full load (Prime95 continuous with 2 workloads of 8 cores each), I get to the high 50c range on average over many hours. Ambient temperature in the house is low 70s F. HWInfo shows all cores clocked at ~4.3 GHz, with some variance. My primary goal here is long term stability...

With that said, and realizing I built for more headroom to bring in a water cooled 3xxx when Nvidia finally gets around to it, it seems like you're a more than a little high at idle.

Based on your initial statement, you haven't ramped up core voltage or attempted to overclock to squeeze out more performance or for stability?

Early AMD BIOS had a bunch of problems with over voltage and thermal issues with the 3900x, even at idle, long before release of the 3950x. You seem to indicate that you have updated to the latest...

Assuming your air flow is solid, I'd start out making sure that your AIO is running a performance profile for the pump, vice a quiet profile, I'd consider increasing the ramp-up of your fans, at least those driving the AIO rad and I'd consider popping the AIO off and verifying that you have a solid, but thin, layer of paste covering the entire processor. As you likely know, the AMD chiplets are spread out more than they would be for an Intel Core i processor... From everything I've read and observed, the 3950x is easier to cool than previous generation 8 core platforms.

If this doesn't solve the problem, recommend that you use a tool like HWInfo64 sensors to capture the running settings initialized by the BIOS to ensure that they aren't, in fact, applying excessive voltage. There are several settings that I locked down on my board to bring stability from boot to boot.

If you don't get the issues solved by the weekend, I'll post my own readings to give you a set of numbers to compare to...

0 Likes

Under Prime 95 load:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_1.png

Idle (~1 min after turning off Prime95):

pastedImage_3.png

Interestingly, the core voltage seems to be way too high for idle...

Hopefully, this will help.

My core 0 is always alround 13w i just testing now windows power plants for ryzen. Wicht are you using?

core0.PNG

0 Likes

I've used both the Ryzen Balanced (in use currently) and the Ryzen High Performance. Honestly, I haven't seen much difference between them.

You might also want to consider loading the latest release of the X570 chipset drivers direct from AMD. The latest revision was dated 1/16/20. I haven't run delta scans to see what was updated...

Also, you should make sure that you're not running "several" monitoring tools at the same time. This includes CPU-Z, Aida Extreme, Corsair's ICue, etc. This probably includes some of the ASUS tools, but I don't know the specifics of those tools. Some of these tools poll frequently enough to forcibly wake cores that should be sleeping at idle.

0 Likes
xardalodin
Journeyman III

hi 

asus rog strix 570 motherboard

3950x processsor 

64 gb ram

a huge be quit cooler  2 fans  

open air box. liam li , forgot to check hight of cpu cooler. 

and my mother board thinks my temps are 40C idle and 55 60 , gaming I think

how I figured this out is by manualy controling the fan speeds . and checking temps in bios

easy to tell when fans are running 100%.

but AMD ryzen Master program says degrees 10C higher,  50 idle and 70 under stress.

to me it looks like miss communication.  havent found any answers 

0 Likes

Xardalodin,

Temps, especially idle, are probably higher because RM is waking up cores to do its stuff. Fewer sleeping cores = more heat. I'm surprised to hear that it affects temp on the system load side... Were you stress testing different loads? Different stress tests/benchmarks will cause different temperature profiles.

0 Likes

hi 

no clue what your answering , dont know what temps 3950 should have, mine are 40 in bios idle and 50 in amds program, and the fans increase in speed on what the motherbord says.

and yes I was stress testing in amd ryzen master program, when I realised the fans where not increasing in speed at 70C , strange. should be on 100% at that temprature. 

so then set cpu fans on manual in bios to 60C = max fan speed, so now the fans turn on when stress testing.

so my drivers are not reporting the correct temp to amd ryzen program. FUN..

so currently ryzen programs thinks 59C , fans are running at maybe 30% whitch is 40

updated bios 8 to 14

so the cpus is running at 50C idle and 70C load and the WHOLE is 40C and 60C load , would like the fans to react to the cpus not the packaging. 

0 Likes
a68u
Journeyman III

hi

I use ubuntu linux with 3950x.

The temperature is 17 celsius degrees.  Cpu temperature keep 27c by ssh remote login. 

Cpu temperature keep 37c by  xfce local login .

Just by doing log in, cpu temperature will change. I use Noctua NH-D15 & three case fan.

I use ubuntu linux with 3900x too.

3900x 's temperature change is not as agile as 3950x's. Let's use 3900x .

0 Likes