cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

msy
Journeyman III

3950X and X370 won't boot Windows (only)

Yesterday I changed my Ryzen 7 1700X to a new Ryzen 9 3950X. It successfully booted to BIOS, booted to GRUB and successfully loaded Linux (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) without any problem.

However, when I tried to boot into Windows 10 (1909), I saw the spinning dots with the WIndows logo, but after that the screen went black. So I tried to hard reset my PC but it didn't accept anything. The only way to shutdown my PC was to turn off the PSU(!).

Booting from the installation USB drive containing Windows 10 1909 showed exactly the same problem.

My system setup:

Ryzen 9 3950X

GTX 1070

Asrock X370 Professional Gaming with the latest BIOS (P6.20)

2 SATA SSDs (for minimal setup)

Corsair H115i AIO

750W PSU

64GB (16x4) DDR4-3200

I don't think my new CPU is defective but I just can't figure out what is the problem.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
12 Replies
msy
Journeyman III

Today I switched back to my old 1700X and it worked normally. So, I think the problem is either the motherboard or the CPU itself. I asked my friend to test the CPU on his environment.

0 Likes

I would suggest using the latest non-beta bios, which is 5.80, and see if that resolves your issue, and also reset TPM in BIOS as well.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried the stable BIOS P5.80 but no luck. Windows still refused to boot with 5.80 BIOS.

However, I haven't tried resetting the TPM, I will try after my friend finishes testing the CPU in his environment.

0 Likes

Hey Did you ever get this sorted, I just ordered the 3950X and I have the exact same motherboard.

0 Likes

i have done lots of testing and if you have a 3950X you can afford an X570 motherboard which will make your CPU happy

this presumes your RAM is suitable too

0 Likes

I'm not sure how that adds to the discussion. I wouldnt be here asking msy‌ if he ever got it working on the X370, if I could afford a X570! Dude, that didnt anything to the convo why are you wasting your time.

0 Likes

In fact it made more sense than you did,Why anyone would buy a 3950x and NOT an x570 board is beyond me,and I don't mind wasting my time.

0 Likes

Why would anyone buy a 3950x and not an x570?

Because some of us bought high end over engineered flagship boards with their first gen Ryzen builds and dont have a need for PCIe4.

I just upgraded my 1800x to a 3950x on my Asus Crosshair VI Hero.  Runs like a dream.  I did a fresh install anyway, and actually ran into more problems that way, but it turned out it was microsoft bungling their Windows Updates as per usual.  Wasnt that fault of the hardware at all.  I tried some Patriot Viper DDR4 3600, but it didnt like to play nice with my combo, so im going to stick with my 32GB Flarex CL14@ 3466mhz.

Kudos to AMD for supporting a platform for this long.  The Crosshair VI Hero is/was an amazing board.  Best motherboard ive ever owned.  Had its issues at first until BIOS matured, but from an engineering standpoint, its an amazing piece of work.

0 Likes

As I wrote in the last post, I asked my friend to test the CPU in his environment (he was using an X570 mobo and a RX570) but he also couldn't manage to install Windows. So there was indeed a problem with the CPU I got and I returned it to the seller.

So honestly I'm not sure whether a 3950X is actually compatible with X370 motherboards (or specifically with X370PG), but at least it's on the vendor's support list so I think it's okay.

0 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply back. Dam, was hoping someone could confirm. I'm on 1700X and X370, I am quite sure I am CPU bottle-necked as Im getting the same 114-130 fps in most of my games on low settings and in Old games (Half-Life) I get <150 fps when setting fps_max to 240.

Not sure whats wrong with trying to save money by only buying the CPU and at least be able to use it on X370 till X670 comes.

0 Likes

Cant edit my previous post. I do not mean to necro.

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-3950x-motherboard-x370-taichi-or-agesa-faulty-fail-pri...

Followed this. X370 + 3950X, working on Asrock Bios 6.40. Needed to find PBO in the BIOS and agree to the agreement to enable PBO and full use of 3950X. Not crashing anymore on X370.

0 Likes

usually it's advisable to install windows fresh when you change processors

0 Likes