Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zeddman
Adept I

3950x--3400 memory--overclocking

Hello fello AMD,ers

I have recently upgraded and switched to AMD from Intel.

Over clocking was fairy easy with Intel , adjust the Multiplier, tweak the voltage a tad and away you go to get a mild overclock ,nothing to hardcore.

Ive left the CPU  at default and in the bios i have set the XMP memory to  "profile 1" which is 3400 and have left it at that. (that's the only profile there)

Looking at CPUZ ive noticed the 3950 sits at 4.1 pretty much all the time on idle, is this CPU running faster because of the memory speed, because from what i know shouldn't it be default 3.5?

gigabyte 570 ultra

3400 memory corsair

1080ti

750 psu

3950x

0 Likes
5 Replies
zeddman
Adept I

Im at work, ill post some more screen shots when i get home.

Whats the best informative or accurate software to use to gauge what im talking about?

thanks in advance.

0 Likes

zeddman, thanks for asking.  Please do not post or even run HWinfo and stuff like that.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  When you are at the Ryzen Master site, also DL the Quick Reference Guide (QRG).  It will explain RM and how to OC - RM is the official AMD OC application.  I strongly recommend you not install and uninstall any OC applications, including Gigabyte's.  Applications are what cause cores to run at higher frequency.  Right now my 2990WX cores are mostly well below 2000MHz while I browse and play music - they do jump around quite a bit.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes

Also the CPU is cooled with 280 rad in push/pull config.

Thank for the advice, sorry for the rookie cringey questions.

0 Likes

Thanks, zeddman.  RM looks fine and the cores are all running less that 1000 MHz.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes