Journeyman III

3900x X570 slow bios time

just built this system:

Ryzen 9 3900x

X570 Aourus Master

32 GB (4x8) Corsair vengence 3200

2 x 1TB Gigabyte 4.0 SSD (RAID 0)

RTX 2080 ti

With everything in bios except RAID (CSM Off) it takes 85 to 120 seconds to post. Tried different ram, no change.

Updated to the latest bios no change. Everything is turned off (XMP, Overboost etc.) Same thing.RAID Array is showing 4k read and 8k write????? Anyone have any ideas?

5 Replies
sgtsixpack
Adept I

I notice taking out USB sticks/hard drives speeds up the bios post bleep to the bios screen.  What is taking the time?  Getting to/past bios or bootinig into windows?  I heard hibernation actually speeds up the boot into windows (which should be fast with raid 0 SSDs.  Also have u got fast boot enabled in the bios?  I never tried it but obviously something to try.

0 Likes

Turn off hibernation/fast startup, it is enabled by defaults in Windows 10, and see if that helps.  While intended to help boot speed it often does the opposite as well as a lot of other bad things. You don't need it and it is easy to turn back on if you choose. 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html 

0 Likes

Another though is also unplug anything usb plugged into your system and see if that makes a boot speed difference. Some usb devices are known to cause speed hangups with the boot process. 

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Are you using GPT partitions for your raid array and UEFI boot mode?

0 Likes

All my media bar one USB stick (for compatibility reasons) is NTFS/GPT and the user manual for RAID on Gigabyte starts by telling you to disable CSM (compatibility select mode).

I have a 100% charged UPS and 3 additional cables.  I'm just about to set it up but the USB cable for auto-shutdown is in the post (I already have a USB cable I bought before seeing the UPS and it has two type A but an A & B are needed (bought an A to B adapter too)).  I have downloaded the autoshutdown software but I am waiting for a support ticket on which firmware (of 2) I need.  I tested the UPS by unplugging it and it gave a beep every 5 seconds till I plugged it back in.  I set it to 230v output because the box of my HX 850 Corsair says high efficiency of 230v vs 110v (which it does without a switch on the fly).

I'll plug it in but won't enable the write cache until I get the type A to B USB cable.

Edit: I thought this thread was about RAID, my bad.

0 Likes