Did you mean: 

Processors

jinroh
Adept I

3900x VDDCR (CPU Power)

System:  New System Build

CPU:  Amd Ryzen 3900x (latest drivers)

AIO:  Corsair 115i Pro

MOTHER BOARD:  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra (latest bio update F12e) (latest drivers)

RAM:  G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR 3200 (xmp activated)

EC_Temp2 Sensor:  26-28c

System1/System2: 31-34c

I have gone through and looked at several youtube videos and online post about this CPU and where to find it's sweet spot.

I'm not an overclocker, but rather use my machine for motion graphics, film, and editing...more for productivity.  And will be getting into 3D.

I installed AMD Master and Cinebench r20.  I left the cpu at default and the PPT, CPU POWER (VDDCR), SOC POWER and EDC (CPU) all went into the red.  The cpu at idle in default ran 40-50c and jumped up to 60-70c underload.

I started to undervolt the cpu to get the temps down and get the performance up as many have.

In the bios I have been able to get two settings that are stable.

1. Cores set to 4150ghz @ 1.2v (CB r20 score 7128) CPU Temp 40-50c underload

2. Cores set to 4300ghz @ 1.3v (CB r20 score 7443) CPU Temp 50-60c underload

But generally no matter where I try to set the vCore voltage, the (VDDCR CPU) seems to be the one that's hardest to get in the green via AMD Master and HWiNFO64.

At option 1 from above, the (VDDCR CPU) is still gets into the yellow around 83+ watts underload.  I've under volted it all the way down to 1.18125v and it still stays in the yellow.

At option 2 from above, the (VDDCR CPU) is again back in the red at around 105 watts peak underload.

I just can't seem to get the (VDDCR CPU) to stay in the green and I'm not sure where to make those adjustments as every manufacture has different terminology.

Just seeing if anyone can share anymore insight on this for me.  I appreciate any help and apologize for any info I may be leaving out.

Cheers!

-Jin

16 Replies
mccharle
Elite

hello,

chipset drivers are outdated on Gigabyte website (and also on most other manufacturers).

I suggest to use the latest from AMD website (2.04 from march and very soon 2.05 from may).

https://www.amd.com/fr/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 

or 2.05 found on Asrock website (https://community.amd.com/thread/253420 )

On my case I don't touch to Vcore but to Vref (-0.0625V). Earned few degrees and speed.

Regards

0 Likes
jinroh
Adept I

Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about.  I haven't dropped it down further yet..say, 4.0ghz @ 1.1v to see if this will get the VDDCR is the green, maybe the yellow.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!VDDCR_90w.png

0 Likes

Your PPT, TDC and EDC are only in the green because your motherboard has set such stupidly high limits on them.

3900x is a 105W PPT processor and it should go up to 142W I believe.

You have PBO enabled in bios?

0 Likes

Hi,

I do realize that the TDC and EDC, PPT are set higher than baseline.  Guess I can change those in bios.  I can see the limits being hit on Hwin64.

But my main concern is the VDDCR as if left at default settings the voltage to the VDDCR goes well in the 120w in cinebench.  And I’ve under volted it from 1.3v-1.2v at 4.3ghz-4ghz and the VDDCR is still in the yellow.

Now I’ve under volted at 4ghz @ 1.075v and ran aida64 and Occt both for 3hrs each, no issues.  And ran through intelburn.  And the VDDCR stays in the green under load through all benching.  Roughly 99w-101w.

I know I’m losing some performance, but I’m ok with that.

i do have PBO enabled.

0 Likes

Since you are manually overclocking and trying to stay within the CPU's power limit you should really turn PBO off.

To be honest though I'm not the best overclocker.

With my 3600x I found I got more of a performance boost by leaving everything at default and increasing my fan curve to slow heat build up than I could manage with overclocking.

4.3MHz vs 4.25MHz and a 30C cooler CPU

0 Likes

This is my rig at default settings with XMP enabled.

Default_With_XMP_CBR20_TEST_2020-06-09.png

0 Likes

Damn!

Yeah I don't think I would be happy with that either.

0 Likes

I absolutely see your point. I would be talking to AMD support about this issue, I assume it shows this a default settings too? If you do talk to them send a screen shot of default settings and don't mention deviating from defaults in any way as they may say that voids warranty. I think you may just have a lemon of a chip.

You can contact support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

or you could just start an RMA process and try another CPU here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib 

0 Likes

I thought this was characteristic of the chip?  As I built another system for my friend on a Asus board and his chip reacts the same as mine at default durning cinebench load.  Give or take a few degrees and watts.

Hard to believe we both got lemon chips.

But I’ll take your advice and send them the info and screen shot. 

thanks!

0 Likes

If you read through the forums you will see a lot of variance in the 3xxx series chips when it comes to temps and power. 

0 Likes

Should mention it varies board to board as well. 

You might find this thread interesting too. It illustrates how some boards are not following reference spec. 

0 Likes

I’ve tried to look over a lot of articles and it’s kind of a shot in the dark.  I know it’s a combo of the chip and board manufacturers to get this sorted.

Ive got good temps...just was concerned about the 105w being exceed via Ryzen Master at certain clock/volts.

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

How about trying what I do...  

1) Get Latest BIOS and AMD Chipset drivers

2) AMD Ryzen High Performance power profile in Windows (we don't want Windows playing with clocks and voltages).

3) Reset BIOS to defaults

4) Tune Memory, even if it is just XMP/D.O.C.P.

5) Enable PBO, but leave everything else at Auto (i.e. PBO without the Auto O/C)

6) Undervolt the Vcore with a negative offset (this will be a trial and crash process but well worth the effort)

I am working on a detailed "tuning" for 3rd gen Ryzen, but this is the basics.  I actually go a little further down the rabbit hole and do a Manual PBO, and tune DRAM with secondary timings, tertiary timings, voltages, and LLC settings (All based on the results from DRAM Calculator for Ryzen version 1.7.0...  Newer versions seem to be geared toward serious Memory Overclocking and I have yet to get stable results with the new versions)

QB

0 Likes

I have the latest chipset drivers...I had the earlier version and updated today.  Think that's why my last stable OC doesn't work anymore.

But this is with XMP on, everything set to auto...except.  I have volted it down to 1.2v and I increased the PPT, TDC, EDC (300, 230,230...respectively)

But I notice in Hwin64 the cores jumping around from 1.19v-1.50 (current), but he average for all is around 1.277v.  And under load, they are around 1.33v.  It doesn't show the correct voltage at the (SVI2 TFN) or VID (EFFECTIVE), but does at the Vcore sometimes.  But on CPU-Z it stays at 1.2v.  Strange.

Test_01.png

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

I'm guessing you watched Buildzoid's PBO setting video?  If not, I bet the person who led you to those PBO settings did, since those are the ones I use 

Anyway...  Individual core voltages bounce around and that is the way they work. SVI2 TFN is the SOC voltage and that relates to the Memory Controller...  VID (EFFECTIVE) is some sort of combo with individual core voltages and Vcore applied by the MB...  It's an interesting number, but not one to try and change.

So what load is being used in the above screenshot?  Are you still setting a core clock instead of Auto?  Is that idle?  You need to say what the screenshot is of for us to be able to help...  like this:

Manual PBO, Undervolted with a -0.13750 V VCore offset running Cinebench R20:

RM.jpg

QB

0 Likes

Gotcha, forgot to state that with the image.

But that last image is under load in CinebenchR20 with everything set to auto except VCore voltage and PBO.

i set the VCore voltage to 1.2v and set the PBO to the settings that Buildzoid suggested.  (300,230,230, scalar @4x for my board).

0 Likes