Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ghostthagod
Journeyman III

3900x Temps - Cinebench/Aida64

Hey everyone,

I am having some difficulty keeping my new 3900x cool. My CPU is hitting about 34-38c when at idle nad bout 58-62c while gaming, but I have a much more grave problem when it comes to stress tests and benchmarks. 

When I run Cinebench R20 Multi I am seeing temps of 85c with a frequency of 4.104ghz all core. And when I do the Aida64 benchmark the CPU hits 90-95c with around the same frequency although it throttles down nearer to 4.0ghz about 3 mins in. 

My main concern is - the temps seem to spike up instantly rather than getting hotter a gradual rate. I have re-seated the pump for my cooler at least 10 times, tried different thermal paste applications, and different high end thermal pastes like Kryonaut. Even with all this I can't seem to get my full load temps to normalize. 

I have even reached out to NZXT and am in the process of RMA'ing my CPU cooler because of temps. How can I fix this? Is this the norm for this chip? I have included my rigs specs below for reference. 

MY SETUP:

• 3900X
  • ASRock Taichi X570
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz CL16 16gb kit
  • NZXT Kraken X62 Watercooler (mounted as intake) 
  • 2 120mm exhaust fans (all fans swapped to Corsair Magnetic Levitation
  • 2080Ti Founders Edition
  • EVGA 80+ Bronze 750w PSU  
  • NZXT H500i Case

Thanks in advance for your help!

6 Replies
vinametal
Journeyman III

ok. When you are gaming is most used SINGLE core to manage the application.
But on benchmarks like cinebench we can choose multicore, so, using multicore the cpu gonna show your true power, more power = more heat. I am testing a long time and i get a conclusion, On 30º room, water cooler 240mm + dual 140mm intake i can get 85º, its normal because the cpu is powerfull, we cant compare with a old generation TDP rules. something like 72º.

So if you want keep low temps at cost 7% of process power. just disable boost core performace on bios. Using 3dsmax / corona 3d render i can get 60º maximun temp. Or 75 - 85º with boost enabled. If you use pc just to play video games, is not necessary change nothing. But pay attention when the multicore games arrive on market. A good deal is force the PWN of the cooler to spin faster x temperature. Do the same to your video card. Set 33% cooler enable at 50º. anyway, dont hurry, new hardware, new rules. The quality of AIO cooler / water cooler is the material, technology, not size of fans ok.

4.6Ghz *7051 points = 85º boost enabled.
3.8Ghz *6699 points = 60º boost disabled. ( no more fan excessive noise, accelerations )

normal days 20º room. 72º with maximum power. Coolermaster nano gel thermal paste.
When the environment back to normal, my core boost will be enabled again.

Ps* Use agesa bios ABBA. good lucky
Capturar.PNG

Is 40-45c at idle and 80c at gaming with stock cooling, 3 fans in and 1 out?

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Higher temps on the same cooler are normal for the 3000 series vs chips with the same TDP from the previous Ryzen releases.  The heat density is the issue, as the cores are packed into 7nm chiplets, and the rate that the heat transfers to the IHS (internal heat spreader) becomes more he rate limiting step.

That being said, the temps that you are seeing do seem to be a little high.  I noticed you mentioned Kryonaut, while a great paste, is intended for cooling in a refrigerated environment and will actually start to degrade at 80C.  Make sure you use a paste that is high temp stable.  

Noctua NT-H2 is a solid option and stable.  Make sure to apply it as per the recommendations for medium sized CPUs.

Noctua NT-H2: How to apply on medium-sized CPUs (e.g. AMD AM4, Intel LGA2011 & LGA2066) - YouTube 

Make sure to keep your pump at full speed if you have controls for that.  The faster you pump in cooler liquid the better your performance will be.

0 Likes
nickjackalson
Adept III

Hi

Temp jumps are normal because of instand voltage pump causing an fast temperature increase on die are, it's common since first ryzen, I had r7 1700 and it jumped 45C idle to 55C for 1 sec on desktop doing nothing

If high temperatures concerns you, try setting a temperature limit or PPT limit from BIOS

Because I didn't have PPT limit on my B350m-A primo mobo, I use a 70C limiting

Your single up to 4-6 core boost wont change but you may have some loss of performance in all core

For example, I was fed up with high temperatures on AIDA tests, hitting over 80C, so I get to BIOS and with 70C limit my CB R20 all core and single score had no hit, got up to 80W package power

But on AIDA stress test including all selection including GPU, RAM, FPU, CPU but not disk drives, I got 68W package power top

Try it, it's great

0 Likes

Where to find temp limit or PPT in ASUS bios?

0 Likes

Your temperatures are perfectly normal as synthetic benchmarks do give high temperatures.  

My previous Ryzen 2700x and current 3700x give similar results to your 3900x - fine in gaming but high during benchmarks.  

Gaming will never push the CPU as far as benchmarks so you have nothing to worry about.  

Andy

0 Likes