cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Horothar
Adept I

3900x stuck at AP initialization (code 07 from MSI motherboard)

Hi!

I am having some problems with my almost 2 year old computer.

This morning I've turned on the computer and it did not manage to even POST, no BIOS, no screen footage, nothing.

My specs are: 3900x, MSI MEG x570 ACE, 2x Corsair dominator @3200Mhz, 2080ti, corsair 750W Psu

The EZ debug led light stays on for the CPU, and every single time the error code screen gets stuck at 07 (corresponding to AP initialization, on the manual).

I've tried the following:

• Clearing the CMOS (using the CMOS button at the back of the motherboard, using the jumper cable, and unplugging the battery for 10 minutes) NONE of them made any difference.
  • Switching around the RAM Dimms, between slots, using only 2 in different combinations, and using 1 in different combinations. No changes.
  • Switching GPU. Removed my 2080ti, tried with a 950, same error happens.
  • Re-flashing the BIOS through the Flash by USB. The pc turned on, flashed and restarted. Exactly the same issue happens.
  • Tried powering the CPU by using another PSU, but the psu i used does not have 16pin for the CPU, nothing changed but it could still be an issue of the PSU.

What should I do? I need to fix the computer asap as I work from home and I need to use it.

I don't know where the issue is coming from (could be dead CPU, or dead MB, even a fault with the PSU)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Okay so my components were reviewed by the retailer and they proceeded to do the following:

- Full refund of the motherboard. I bought an Asus Dark Hero to replace mine.

- Replacement of the CPU for a brand new one.

I cannot be happier with the customer service, there were 0 complaints from the retailer, they even sent me back some pieces from my AIO cooler that I forgot in the motherboard box!

Sadly, we won't know which was the issue with my computer, as I got everything replaced. The odds are it was a problem with the motherboard that had to be fixed through RMA.

Thanks for all the help during the process, its time for me to build my PC again

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Since it doesn't even boot up, to eliminate everything except the Motherboard, PSU, and Processor remove or disconnect everything from the motherboard except the Processor and PSU.

If the CPU Trouble LED light stays on then it is a good indication your processor or motherboard is defective. IF the CPU Trouble LED light turns off and the RAM Trouble LED turns on that means, at least, that the processor passed the BIOS test and some other hardware is causing the CPU Trouble LED light to turn on.

Now add one stick of RAM and see if both the CPU and RAM Trouble LED lights turns off and the GPU Trouble LED lights up.

And so forth.

Best way to check if your CPU is defective by installing the CPU in another compatible Motherboard and see if the same issue occurs. If it doesn't then you know it is something with your computer.

If you believe it is the PSU you can always get a multimeter and check the 12vdc and 5.0vdc output. Both should be within 5% tolerances.

@elstaci 

I've just followed your advice and the following happened:

• Turning on with ONLY CPU and PSU pluged in, the DRAM debug light turned on (CPU light is off)
  • Plugging one dimm to the first slot, the DRAM light turned off, but the CPU light turned on. The VGA light hasn't turned on.

So does this mean its a problem in the cpu?

0 Likes

Since the CPU Troube LED turned off that indicates that it passed the BIOS Test.

Since you installed one stick of RAM it could be a RAM issue causing the CPU light to turn on.

I read that in some MSI Motherboard that the CPU Trouble LED light would turn on when it really was a RAM issue.

Try using the one RAM Stick in different DIMM slots and see if it boots.

From MSI Support concerning when a PC doesn't boot up with video: https://www.msi.com/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_No_Display:

here is one of the steps they suggest:

Screenshot 2021-04-30 164028.png

0 Likes

@elstaci 

I don't have any other DDR4 dimms to test if the issue is coming from the ones I have.

I understand that if the CPU was the issue the debug LED would be ON at the same time as the DRAM one right?

I'll try what you suggested and come back with an answer.

Thanks!

0 Likes

If the CPU was defective the Trouble LED light wouldn't turn off and the the RAM Trouble LED light wouldn't turn on.

The CPU Trouble LED light would stay on all the time if the CPU was defective or it doesn't pass the BIOS Test at power up. The boot process would stop at that point and wouldn't check the RAM until the CPU passes the BIOS test.

You see BIOS first checks the CPU, if it passes the BIOS test, then it checks the RAM  Memory installed. If that passes the BIOS test then it checks the VGA (Graphics) that is installed and so forth.

Make sure that all power cables are securely installed and the CPU Cooler fan is working all the time when you power up.

You seem to have some other hardware problem rather then the CPU.

0 Likes

I would open a MSI Support ticket and see if they believe it might be your motherboard is defective or not.

0 Likes

Yeah it is probably my best bet, before that a friend of mine has similar pc parts as me, so I just drove there to test with different ram dimms/ motherboard, hopefully I find the issue!

I will update here soon

Well, I tested with a different PSU, that is totally discarded now.

And tested with a different DDR4 dimm, same issue still there.

I did not have the guts to disassemble my friend's CPU to test swapping as I had no spare thermal paste.

I'll open a ticket with MSI and hopefully they can guide me better! I'll update this post with further news.

Thanks!

Please keep me informed. See if they believe the Motherboard might have gone bad or they believe the CPU is defective.

You have a 3 year AMD Warranty on the processor if it is a purchased Retail boxed Processor and you are the original owner.

0 Likes

Will do!

I've ended up contacting the provider (I luckily bought the CPU and Motherboard at the same place) so they told me to send over both parts, so they can test them out and find which out one is faulty, replacing whatever is needed.

I'll be in contact with them, so hopefully I can update this with useful information!

That is a very good Retailer or provider to do that type of service for you. 

That should eliminate both the Motherboard and CPU as the culprit if both checks good.

From what it sounds like since the computer setup was running fine for over 2 years and then suddenly won't boot up sounds like a defective hardware.

Processors are pretty reliable hardware if it isn't defective from the factory or damaged by the User.

0 Likes

Okay so my components were reviewed by the retailer and they proceeded to do the following:

- Full refund of the motherboard. I bought an Asus Dark Hero to replace mine.

- Replacement of the CPU for a brand new one.

I cannot be happier with the customer service, there were 0 complaints from the retailer, they even sent me back some pieces from my AIO cooler that I forgot in the motherboard box!

Sadly, we won't know which was the issue with my computer, as I got everything replaced. The odds are it was a problem with the motherboard that had to be fixed through RMA.

Thanks for all the help during the process, its time for me to build my PC again