Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

davesc20
Adept I

3900x Random Freeze and Crashes in Windows

System Configuration

• Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5600 XT DirectX (triple fan version) , Radeon software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 obtained from AMD website, Bios version FA0  from Gigabyte
  • Operating System - Windows 10 Pro (also tried Windows 10 Home)
  • Display Devices - MSI Optix MAG241C connected via display port
  • Motherboard - AsRock X570 Taichi w/ Bios v 2.80
  • CPU - Ryzen 3900x
  • PSU - EVGA GA 850W 80 (80+ Gold Rating) 
  • RAM - Hyper X Fury 16GB 3200 (2x8GB),  model number HX432C16FB3K2/16... Specifically chosen as it was on my motherboard manufacturers QVL list. 
  • Cooler - EVGA CLC 280
  • Drive - 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2  (only 1 drive) Installed into the primary M.2 slot. 

Good morning!

I finished this build on Monday afternoon and ever since then I've been having problems with my system freezing in windows. Anytime I'm just navigating the OS trying to click on an icon or just browsing the web on chrome, the mouse will stop responding, the system will stay on whatever I was on for about 3-4 seconds, then it reboots itself. Often times when it reboots itself, I have to turn off the power via power supply to get it to boot into windows. These freezes never happen in bios and oddly enough they haven't happened when I ran a few games (albeit not long gaming sessions but probably 30-40 mins).  

These issues started on Monday right after I finished by build and started installing drivers in the system for my hardware. On this day the system ran fine for a few hours before the issues started... This caused me to try a few things. All on clean windows installs. The first thing I did was erase my hard drive via bios and install windows home to see if it was a problem with windows pro. Again, worked for a few hours then after driver installs crashes again doing non CPU/GPU intensive tasks. The second thing I did was install windows again, this time I didn't touch the setting in bios to boost memory clcokspeeds to 3200mhz,  I left it at stock 2400, in addition I disabled PB and PBO to see if many it was an issue with temps... Even though the system ran at a cool 30c-35c on idle compared to the 35c-50c idle temp fluctuations this didn't work crashes happened again. This time I only installing only chipset drivers, gpu driver, audio driver (onboard audio), Wlan/lan drivers. Worked again for a few hours and started crashing! I tried 3 more things at this point. 1 was flashing back mobo bios to 2 versions back and installing chipset drivers from about 2 versions back, no luck. I tried installing drivers for chipset via windows update instead of amd (i think it uses the second to last version as) but no luck. I disabled automatic driver updates in windows and used the latest AMD chipset drivers... No luck! last but no least, and what has brought me the most success until this morning was disabling windows hardware driver updates and NOT installing the AMD chipset drivers... So basically no chipset drivers, stock bios settings no RAM overclock... It worked all of yesterday from 11am when I finished this clean windows install until I started watching some tv at about 11pm. I even got an hour of battlefront 2 in and about 2 hours monster hunter world. Enter this morning, the PC has been shutdown for 8 hours, I start it, and the computer doesn't boot into windows. It keeps cycling through debug codes and restarting but no windows boot.  I have to shut it down via psu  about 3 times before i finally get a windows repair prompt (at which point it says there is nothing to repair if I attempt) and click restart. This morning when it finally booted up into windows it did the freeze thing twice...  once immediately after I put in my pin and another while I was typing up this message on AMD forum... and now had to retype it on my laptop : ) . At this point I've wiped my hard drive and installed windows about 8 times to try all these different configs, I've mixed and matched/messed with settings, I even undid the cable management job I really proud of, took the whole thing apart  put it back together again (used new thermal paste on CPU, but I've had 0 luck getting any of this to run how it should...  Any help would be greatly appreciated and please note that atm I don't have any spare parts to try different hardware combos as I've already spent a pretty penny on this.  I also combed through these forums vigorously for the past 3 days and though I've been able to find similar issues, I have not been able to find a solution. 

Also note the thing that happened where it didn't boot into windows this morning after being shut off for 8 hours happened every time the system was left off for more than 1 hour - 1 hour 30 minutes regardless of what config I tried. 

Update: This morning I realized I had a regular SSD in my laptop... I made the sacrafice and popped it out, erased everything, then installed in the PC in question. Note I also removed the M.2 drive that I had previously installed... As usual everything was initially going great so I decided to shutdown to see if it will boot into windows properly after an hour or so of being off. I shutdown at 3:00pm came back at 4:00pm to turn the computer on and it did the same thing it was doing previous. The AsRock logo comes on screen, then it goes black and never boots into windows. It just cycles through powering on and off until I shutdown on PSU and then hit the on button. At which point windows prompts me to repair/restart... I restart then it boots into windows. I've yet to experience a crash with this SSD installed but it will only be a matter of time IMO, so still looking for advice/potential fixes... When it inevitably crashes again, I will update my post again... Extremely frustrating!

8 Replies
maazerguy
Adept I

This is similar to my problem, I believe it is the gigabyte 5600xt (gaming OC version?). I have gone through so many things attempting to fix it, haven't found a definitive way yet. However, if it is the 5600xt, for me I have found it is temperature related, when the card is idling in the 30's (not sure which component, but in GPU-Z the memory, clock, vrm etc all usually idle similarly) it will lock up the system. As to why this is, I think its driver related, since it doesn't do it before a windows boot or in safe mode, or with the driver uninstalled. But this also doesn't seem to happen on any other brands cards so I really do not know at this point. My temporary fix was to reduce my case fan speeds which works on warm days, but sometimes I have to leave like a very light game running in the background (I use Mindustry) to keep it slightly warm.

Still holding out for some drivers that fix this

Interesting... so since my post I picked up an ASUS x570-E motherboard because i was sure I got a defective one... That seems to have solved random freezea once into windows but my issue with cold booting has not gone away... I have to power on/off till I get windows repair and click "restart" to actually boot into windows now... going into bios and waiting about 10 minutes also gets me into windows without a problem (interim preferred method). As of right now if it is sleep/hibernate/shut off for an hour or more it won't boot properly the first time. From what you're telling me I feel like issue is my GPU or PSU. Also messing with c state and idle power settings in bios didnt do anything.  I was hopeful that would be the solution.... This has been such a pain troubleshooting!

Edit: So... Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I can confirm that this is 100% GPU related now. Taking maazerguy's story into account I disabled my GPU in the device manager let it sit powered off for an hour, booted fine. Thought it was a fluke, let it sit idle for 3 hours... booted fine once again.  Taking this into account, is there anything I can do to fix this on my end or am I at the mercy of gigabyte on this one? I got this GPU with plans for upgrading later this year anyway, but its just such an annoying problem to have :/ 

0 Likes

Sounds about right, I have to do the same thing on boot, and I have swapped PSU's, I had a Thermaltake SMART 600w 80+white, swapped with a new Antec NeoEco ZEN 600w, it wasn't only to attempt to fix my problem but it worked out that my old second PC's PSU needed replacing so I put the Thermaltake in it. 

Anyway since the summer weather has started here, the random freezes don't happen as often, but on cold boot it will usually fail. Before the 5600XT I had a GTX 970 in there for a month or so with no issues, I used DDU before installing 5600xt of course.

My specs are:

Gigabyte b365m ds3h

i3 9100f

HyperX Fury 2x8GB

Gigabyte 5600XT Gaming OC

XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB - os drive

Antec NeoEco ZEN 600w (80+ Gold)

(few other sata hdd/ssd)

just in case anyone else views this

Ooph... well I ALMOST got a rmx 750 to try and fix issue... glad I didn't pull the trigger on that, lol. I ended up finding quite a few reddit threads discussing our same problem (mostly cold booting issue), so atleast now I'm happy to have pinpointed the problem. It's still a bummer though since I'm way out of micro center return window and technically the card isnt defective so don't think rma'ing/getting a the exact same card will fix the problem =/. This was the last damn thing I thought would be causing the problem since the card performance really well when I do game. Had I known would have just exchanged for a 2060 super or something... In anycase, I wrote gigabyte support last night since I assume this is their issue. I'll keep you posted  and let you know what they end up telling me. Hopefully they are aware of the issue and working on a fix... found out they recently removed the f0 bios update from their support page for these cards... also pissed to find out they just released a revision 2 version of this same cars ;/  . All that seems to do is make the memory speed 14mbps instead of 12mbps out of the box. Instead of having to flash bios like we did. 

just an heads up, gigabyte just released new  bios updates for this card and... It seems to have solved all of these issues! I ended up updating to the F3 bios but I think the version you use depends on what bios your card came. Think this thread can be closed out! 

I just noticed that too, currently testing with the F3 but probably too early to tell yet. I am hopeful and thankful to Gigabyte though, if this works out I will get the higher memory and fix my issue, previously I couldn't use the FA0 bios without it crashing, was on the F2 instead

Good luck man! As of right now (i updated last night) did a boot after being shutdown for 2 hours and booted flawlessly... Shut it down over night for 8 hours and flawless boot in the AM. In addition, I was having issues with Microsoft connect showing a black screen when I mirrored to my Samsung TV and that was resolved as well. Gonna test out sleep and hibernation over the next day or so, but I really don't care as much about those since I normally  shutdown anyway. 

All in all I'm very optimistic and hope it works out for you as well as it has for me! 

How do i go about updating the bios on my card to the f3 

0 Likes