cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Billy4fr
Adept I

3900x overheats and shuts down during the first start up of each day

My PC has developed a start-up fault where the CPU 3900x overheats to 110 degrees and shuts down on the initial start up of each day. Once I restart the system everything runs great circa 50 degrees gaming to 74 degrees cinebench 23/prime 95 hits 80 otherwise idle is 36-40. Obseved via Ryzen master

CPU at stock settings and windows balanced or AMD balanced power settings

Asrock phantom gaming X570

Gigabyte 1660 supers

GSKILL ripjawes 32GB at 3200 XMP

Arctic freezer 2 240 AIO

0 Likes
1 Solution

Remove the computer side panel and start the computer. When it shuts down, do you observe all the fans and lights working especially the Radiator Fan?

It is possible your Radiator fan might be defective and gets stuck the first time you power up and unsticks when you power up the second time.

Turn power off and manually turn the Radiator Fan and see if you notice any sort of resistance.  You shouldn't feel any resistance and it should spin freely when you spin it with your finger.

Could also be a defective pump on the CPU. Need to see if the pump is working when you first power up the computer. If the pump isn't working no liquids is circulating thus the processor will overheat very quickly.

Sounds like you may have a defective AIO CPU Cooler. I would contact the AIO Support and ask them if you need to RMA the AIO.

The maximum operating temperature of 3xxx series processors is 95C.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

hi ,

did you check if your cpu fan is spinning at first start ?

0 Likes

All fans are working

Remove the computer side panel and start the computer. When it shuts down, do you observe all the fans and lights working especially the Radiator Fan?

It is possible your Radiator fan might be defective and gets stuck the first time you power up and unsticks when you power up the second time.

Turn power off and manually turn the Radiator Fan and see if you notice any sort of resistance.  You shouldn't feel any resistance and it should spin freely when you spin it with your finger.

Could also be a defective pump on the CPU. Need to see if the pump is working when you first power up the computer. If the pump isn't working no liquids is circulating thus the processor will overheat very quickly.

Sounds like you may have a defective AIO CPU Cooler. I would contact the AIO Support and ask them if you need to RMA the AIO.

The maximum operating temperature of 3xxx series processors is 95C.

oh haven't seen the AIO , but yeah as said elstaci could be a somethink with the AIO not working at first start , maybe you can check with the wreath stealth you might have with your cpu

see elstatic reply

My son also suspects AIO. I have changed it out for stock air cooler and had no observed problems but was not using ryzen master at that time so not exactly sure what the temp ramp was. I have the arctic freezer back on and it was ok for 2 days and then same thing. I adjust the pipes so that liquid stays in pump overnight and no problems today... 36 degrees during startup. Will run a few more days like this which if no fault then its the AIO. I will confirm that 100% by swapping back to air cooler and observing ryzen master.

Thank you

Replaced the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 with the stock AMD Wraith Prism air cooler (for second time) and monitored startup temps via Hardware info (quicker than Ryzenmaster). 

34 degrees during start up, to 50 normal running under gaming load and nearing 80 for Cinebench23.

I have contacted Arctic and will seek a refund or at worst a replacement. Happy enough with stock cooler for Ryzen 3900x, performance is ok and not quiet as Arctic (silent) but not a problem either.

Thanks for the replies

Billy & Matt

Those seems to be normal temps for the Wraith Prism.

Sounds like the pump on your AIO was not working or working intermittently.

Nice to know that the shutdown temperature of Ryzen processors with a Maximum Operating Temperature of 95C is 115C.

0 Likes
Billy4fr
Adept I

Moving away from AIO as CPU temp went to 100 degrees today starting up the system on stock cpu bios settings. When I set set frequency and voltage on Ryzen (4300@1.35v) and restarted then <40 degrees. Resey cpu to bios default via ryzenmaster and restarted for 40 degrees. So when the cpu is controlled via Ryzenmaster, fixed MB bios settings or AsrockATuning the fault so far has not been observed and that's what I will be watching via HWInfo the next few initial startups for CPU overtemp. 

?CPU did not shutdown with 100 degrees showing on Ryzenmaster.... It does at 115 degrees observed last week