Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cdx
Journeyman III

3900X doesnt boost more than 3.8ghz

Hi everyone, 

My AMD 3900x processor remains at a base clock of 3.8Ghz no matter what i do to it. The only time it will increase is when i go to Ryzen Master app and it will auto boost to 4.3ghz constantly at that speed... until i restart my pc, it goes back to 3.8ghz completely and doesnt auto boost up. 

My friend who has a 3600x processor PC, the processor will overclock itself during heavy loads and goes back to base clock when the PC is in idle. Please help.. this problem has been plaguing me for a few months after launch..

0 Likes
10 Replies
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Sounds like Core Performance Boost is disabled in bios.

Mine was doing Exactly the same thing.
I loaded the boards optimised settings, then set XMP to profile 1.
Set 'Control Performance Boost' to auto, There is then PBO, Performance Boost Overdrive, which has 'Auto, Enabled, Advanced' options. I chose advanced and am now achieving 4.3 across all cores and my highest core has hit 4.595

0 Likes

Really appreciate the comments. I truly apologize for the extremely late reply... Was out of the country for this period of time.

Please refer to the imgur link in this reply for my bios configuration.
https://imgur.com/a/EBBr4Yt

Sorry for missing out on some critical information haha...
Here are my MOBO details.
- AMD X570 MSI Carbon Edge Wifi
- 3900x 12 core processor
- BIOS version E7893AMS.150
- Agesa 1.0.0.4
- Chipset 1.11.22.0454
- Aftermarket AIO cooler (H150i pro rgb cooler)
- 32GB 3200mhz Corsair RAM
- Ryzen Master Latest Version - Creator mode (default mode)
- Fabric Clock 1600 (XMP Enabled)

Tried some other forum fixes, uninstalled dragon center, but to no avail ):

Updated to the latest chipset and bios version and running ryzen balanced plan. However, even when my cpu is running on idle, it stills runs on 4.1 - 4.35ghz constantly and it doesn't go back to around base clock like 3.8 - 3.9 ghz.

Disabling PBO and enabling PBO in Bios does not even fix high temps (fluctuate at around 58 - 65 degrees on idle) on idle clock speeds. Highest core hit was 4.5ghz when using cinebench R20 (Is this normal? As the adv clock speed is like 4.6-4.7hghz?).

Can anyone share on how to optimize the performance of my PC (sorry its my first time building a ryzen system so kinda of need some advices haha) and make my core boost faster when running intense applications and decrease the core boost when PC is running on idle like 3.8 - 3.9ghz? (like how intel CPU works if PC is running on idle)

Really looking forward to some replies.

Truly appreciate it!

#3900x temperature‌ #ryzen 9 3900x #max boost #temp issues

0 Likes

Is your bios AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 B? As that is the very latest check here
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 
Do you have 'Core performance boost' disabled or enabled? On my MB there is the choice for advanced and that then allows you to enter up to a 200MHz max boost for the clock, I believe that if you enable that and set it to 200MHz that can keep your max boost holding for a longer period

Also what is your specific bios verssion?

0 Likes

Yes im running the latest AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 as stated in CPU Z but does not have "B"

It's enabled in Core Performance Boost, but i only have two options - auto and disabled as stated in the imgur screenshot link...

What is ur Motherboard brand n model? My bios version is "E7893AMS.150" which is the latest.

0 Likes

I Now use this power plan as it is supposed to be the better

1usmus Custom Power Plan for Ryzen 3000 Processors Download | TechPowerUp 

0 Likes

i have the Gigabyte x470 Aorus gaming 7 wifi with bios F50 which has the AGESA 1.0.0.4 B revision

0 Likes

Does ur processor go back to base clock speed when idle? Or does it fluctuates at 4.1 - 4.3ghz even on idle? 

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

cdx, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply and stop using HWinfo and any other application like Command Center or whatever.  Do a Clear CMOS and then get the RM screenshot.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes