Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

killbot
Journeyman III

3900X core speeds in-game

Hey all,

So I upgraded to the 3900X a few weeks ago and have noticed while playing games such as Arma 3 / DayZ and having Ryzen Master open - the peak speeds are all over the place during gameplay. For example it bounces around more often around 1500-2500Mhz and sometimes into the 3000Mhz range. When I feel lower performance and frame drop in-game, I look over at the Ryzen Master and can see it's reporting peak at like 1500-1800. Anytime I feel performance degrade in-game the Ryzen Master is always reporting low peaks and smooths out when it bumps up but it's very sporadic.

Feels like I might not have something enabled that should be. Currently the Ryzen Balanced Power plan is used, and this is paired with a MSI X570 Carbon Pro and 3200MHz (32GB) Crucial which I have boosted to 3466.

Is there a proper way to get the CPU to boost at much higher speeds on a normal basis, and at a higher more constant rate? I noticed the fluctuation in other games as well, but more noticable in Arma / DayZ where they heavily benefit from single core performance.

- thanks

0 Likes
8 Replies

Arma and Dayz are very GPU intensive so the CPU doesn't work all that hard, especially with your high end 3900x.

My 3700x also has fairly low CPU usage in Arma but the GPU is very taxed.

Andy

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Could definitely be the GPU as I only have an RX480 8GB atm. I've already ordered a 2080 Super to pair with the 3900X that I'll have next week.. so hopefully it does help iron out the sporadic FPS.

0 Likes
omegaflare
Journeyman III

"Feels like I might not have something enabled that should be. Currently the Ryzen Balanced Power plan is used, and this is paired with a MSI X570 Carbon Pro and 3200MHz (32GB) Crucial which I have boosted to 3466."

Select the high performance plan and report back. Maybe that should address your issue. I don't use balance plan because I get low performance in-game.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Switching to high performance did seem to raise the overall peak speed that Ryzen Master reports. Balanced the peak was between 1500-2500MHz. High performance seemed to at least steady it around 2000-2500MHz. Are you running it in Creator / Game mode and did any other tweaks in the Ryzen Master?

0 Likes

I don’t use Ryzen Master. I rarely have any issues with the CPU when in high performance mode. 

0 Likes

Nope. 

0 Likes
nickjackalson
Adept III

do a cinebench run and see all core boost, if still 2500MHz, you have a problem

other than that games don stress CPU's with more than 8 cores using lower end gpu's as GPU is the limiting factor

I played mass effect 3 at 60fps locked with 10% CPU load on a ryzen 1700 stock, not eveh hitting 3200MHz

0 Likes

I have Ryzen 2200G atm.

0 Likes