Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cross313
Journeyman III

3900X Core Speed Fluctuations

Build: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4049.06 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR 
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (Corsair Hydro H100i for cooling)
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi (BIOS: 7C37v16) - using default settings

Corsair CX750M

16GB G.Skill 8192 MB (DDR4-2137)

XFX Raw II RX 5700XT (driver vers. 19.12.2)
AMD Chipset Drivers (1.11.22.0454)
Windows 10 Home  x64 (latest version) - Power Saver plan.

I've been noticing through CPU-Z and Dragon Center (and even Task Manager) that my Processor core speeds keep fluctuating all over the place from the 2.2Ghz to the 4.5Ghz and it won't stay locked to the stock 3.Ghz I am trying to run. 

I am currently keeping myself on the power saver plan due to the fact that it keeps my processor at a constant 2.2Ghz as I am afraid the constant fluctuations are going to cause some kind of damage to the chip.

Monitor tools used are the ones listed above, the only ones I keep on constant are Dragon Center and iCue; however for troubleshooting I've had them off and only used CPU-Z to try to get what I hope are accurate results.

Any ideas on what's going on with my system?

0 Likes
1 Reply
cross313
Journeyman III

So apparently the speed should fluctuate from what I've been reading. However,I am still very confused and a bit concerned that this keeps trying to OC itself to around 4.2 when I am playing a game and it's causing the temps to go up - granted within the acceptable range, but I am wanting this to run at the stock 3.8 settings like it had been doing up until yesterday.

I for the life of me can't figure out what happened here.

The only way I can fix this is by change the Windows power setting under Processor Power Management > Max Processor State - I have to change it from 100% to 99% and if it acts up again, I have to revert back to 100% then change it again to 99% in order to get the CPU to stabilize back to around 3.7Ghz.

0 Likes