Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

michael__01
Journeyman III

3900x cannot boot with both ccd enabled

Hello,

my computer stopped working after about 2 week or running fine, it suddenly crashed and could not boot windows after that. after some troubleshooting and testing various elements, i was able to run a full memtest and boot to windows by disabling one CCD in the BIOS, changing the BIOS setting for CCD to "one" from "auto" . is there any way for me to test the other CCD as it always default to CCD0 ? i do not have a spare motherboard or CPU to try.

motherboard : gigabyte x570 aorus pro

RAM :  2x 8g g.skill 3600mhz

CPU : 3900x

Michael

0 Likes
10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

michael__01, I think Ryzen Master will do that for you.  I suggest you contact AMD Online Support, they can help you with an RMA if needed.  Sorry, John.

0 Likes

Thanks, yeah i started a support ticket but holiday period is a bad time for support

0 Likes

What cpu cooler are you using??  a 3900X really should have a liquid cooler with a at least a 280mm-360mm radiator if you are overclocking. The stock cooler is only good if you keep the default cpu frequencty or a very mild overclock of no more than 3.9 GHZ at full load. If this is not the issue than call AMD and arrange for cpu replacement.

0 Likes

Hello, thanks for your reply, there was no overclocking, everything running at stock setting. i am using a noctua nh-d14

0 Likes

michael__01, Ryzen processors do a very good job of protecting themselves by reducing frequency and core voltage - throttling.  Ultimately it will shut down to prevent carnage.  You are correct about AMD weekend coverage and especially now.  Did you try RM?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello, yes i tried Ryzen master unfortunately it can only disable CCD1 and if i try to disable core by core it says it cannot disable partial core. i also think the cpu have good fail safe but i am stuck with just 1 cpu and 1 motherboard so i cannot test motherboard or cpu independently. if the motherboard had failed it would not post nor boot on only 1 CCD i think ?

0 Likes

michael__01, suspect you are correct about MB failure.  AMD should guide from here, I think.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

thanks for the suggestions

0 Likes
michael__01
Journeyman III

Hello all,

i was able to get a replacement CPU from my reseller. it boots without issue now.

0 Likes

Great, thanks, michael__01.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes