Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

FD89
Adept II

3900X Bad 3DMark (time Spy) Score and temp

Hi,

I've finally finished my build and I've made some bench test to make sure everything is fine. 

It's seen my CPU struggle to get the average score on 3Dmark (around 12 000). I'm actually hitting 7300-7500.

Preset config with Ryxen Master (Auto OC, gamer mode automatic overcloacking) 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/54202747?

The cooler i'm using is the Noctua NH-D9L.

Any idea of what is wrong or if it's normal ?

Thank you all!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Good news, after doing many test, dismounting the cooler, changing thermal paste, fan etc I've find the problem.

When you use Ryzen master and use gamer mode , it disable half of the core but you can't re-enable them after putting everything into default setting. You have to uninstall the software and re-install it and reboot to solve this.

Thank you Pokester for you help, I've found by your tests I had a heat issue, now it solved by tightening the cooler srews a little more. But the Noctua NH-D9L is not the best solution for this power hungry CPU.

If other facing this issu, look at your task manager the actual core count you PC is using.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
19 Replies

It would be hard to say without seeing all your numbers. First thing I would recommend is to don't use Ryzen Master to make changes. So reset Ryzen Master to default settings.

Next thing is make sure Windows is fully up to date and malware free. Likely you already have this covered on this new build. 

Then reboot to your bios and set everything to defaults. Reboot and run your benchmark for a baseline. 

Then go back to your bios and don't use auto or game clock. Just enable PBO and if your settings for PBO has motherboard control option choose that.

Then enable XMP/DOCP whichever your board has to operate the memory at full speed. 

Reboot and benchmark again.

If you don't see an improvement something is going on, look at your temps as maybe you are throttling. Use Ryzen Master you want to make sure you are under 85-90 for sure under load. 

Report back with full system specs please if you need more help. 

When creating a new discussion, please provide as much detail as possible describing your issue, including the steps to reproduce the issue.

Below is an example of the essential information to provide when posting a new discussion.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • Radeon VII
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • If a laptop, Make and Model of the Laptop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909 Build
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 20.10.1
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • One line for each display device connected
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • Asus X570 Prime Pro BIOS 2802
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Seasonic Focus 750W Platinum
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL14 2x8GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing, and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
  • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
  • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue

0 Likes

Thank you very much! I'll do thoses tests and I'll let you know.

About my config , let me know if you need more information.:

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • GTX 3080 EVG 3080 XC3 gaming Ultra
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit version 10.0.19042
  • Driver version installed
    • Nvidia 457.51
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • LG LG 32GK650F-B 2560-1440 144Hz (Freesync disable for the benchmark)
    • Connected via Displayport
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 3900X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • Gygabyte X570 AORUS Elite Wifi + BIOS Version F11
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Seasonic Focus 750W Platinum
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • Patriot Viper 3200Hz Cl16 (PVS416G320C6K)
0 Likes

Probably nothing to worry about but both that processor and your GPU are higher end parts and pull a good bit of power. 

While you have a quality PSU is is at the bare minimum for the GPU.

I am concerned that if the power is dipping it could affect performance.

You can test the system CPU & PSU & GPU together OCCT from ocbase dot com. Se if by chance you are going low on the power. 

Worth ruling out anyway.

Watch the temps too in Ryzen Master when you are running that test. 

Thanks for the specs I can look up what settings you have if need be now in the MB manual if we don't gain traction with the current suggestions. 

0 Likes

I've put everything to default setting and enabled XMP, but i dont finded the PBO option in my BIO's.

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/15927632

I'm actually running OCCT test. Actual temp under the test : 82-88 deg Cel, 4193Mhz, 1.36V

0 Likes

Those temps are getting hot. I bet you are throttling and that would most certainly explain the low score.

Either you have inadequate cooling, bad air flow in the case, defective cooler or fan or just bad installation. 

Open the side of the case and run the test see if that helps temps much, if so you may just not be getting enough cool air in and hot air exhausted out. 

Make sure your cooler looks properly mounted. Maybe go ahead and pull it off and reapply good thermal compound again. 

Your board may call the PBO something else I am going to look at that. Regardless you don't want to enable that until you get temps under control. I am pretty sure with temps you have the auto oc you had was making you throttle for sure. 

Check that mounting pressure on that noctua mount make sure it is equal maybe it is not sitting flush?

0 Likes

Here is on how to enable PBO on another Gigabyte board, I am trying to figure out more as it is apparently different than how other makers are simply doing it. Will edit with more info

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbrrse/idiots_guide_to_pbo_and_xfr_with_gigabyte_x570/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Z7bJJcCNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ismHAZAHAUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8z_wTStcf8

EDIT:

Looks like your board is calling core performance boost.

the link to your manual. https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-aorus-elite-wifi_1002_e_v1.pdf

I'd watch those videos as several are saying there are a couple places you can change these settings. 

Don't do any of that until you have the temps under control. 

0 Likes

I'm running a 3900X and using Noctua DL-D9L 

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B00QCEWTAW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've already reapplied past (Noctua H1) ealier in case of.

I dont where you saw the 5600x then ? :P

I've opened my side of case and now the temp is slowly lowering. Actually with OCCT running in backgroup I'm at 76-78degc

Do I have to stop the OCCT wait until it end ?

Again tkank you for your help !!!

0 Likes

sorry that info was me looking up thinking I was looking at what you said and it was jut the generic thing I posted. I could not get it fixed fast enough but is now.

0 Likes

Do my Noctua is enought for Cooling my CPU ?

About my housing, i'm using a NZXT 510, per the review it's a well ventilated housing. I'm running it with the stock fan.

0 Likes

@FD89 wrote:

Do my Noctua is enought for Cooling my CPU ?

About my housing, i'm using a NZXT 510, per the review it's a well ventilated housing. I'm running it with the stock fan.

Since your temps came down to normal range under load with the case open I think your cooler itself is fine. 

It at that point is likely just air flow issue through the case. You might want to check that on the front you definitely have the fans pointing in and on the back going out. 

I have gotten cases with pre installed fans where they mount them backwards LOL. 

0 Likes

@FD89 wrote:

I'm running a 3900X and using Noctua DL-D9L 

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B00QCEWTAW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've already reapplied past (Noctua H1) ealier in case of.

I dont where you saw the 5600x then ? :P

I've opened my side of case and now the temp is slowly lowering. Actually with OCCT running in backgroup I'm at 76-78degc

Do I have to stop the OCCT wait until it end ?

Again tkank you for your help !!!

Nope you can stop it if you want but you won't get the report if it doesn't finish.

If you are dropping that much with the case open I think you have solved the cooling and thus throttling question.

Yes you have a case air flow issue.

Make sure you have good air flow in and out.

This would be a good video to watch. There are many more out there too to watch if you need more guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6F2eccMec

If you aren't sure feel free to take a few pics of your setup and maybe we can figure out something better for your setup.

0 Likes

I've stopped the OCCT test. Finally the temps is going between 76-80 (under OCCT test, after opening the case) and after running another bench, the results still crappy. I remain in the 7000 ish bracket.

0 Likes

Here some pics 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/sXX1fQR

I,ve just checked in case of, Hopefully the case fan seem to be correctly mounted hahah

0 Likes

Keep that case open until you figure out how to keep those temps down. It however could still be that it is just throttling enough to bring the temps down. 

You might talk to Noctua support. They may be able to help diagnose that the cooler is working as it should and what are the best settings in the Bios for controlling that cooler. 

At that point if you are still getting this performance your motherboards support department could likely help you diagnose if they think you have a board configuration issue or if they think maybe you have a bad CPU.

If the latter is the case and you are still in your return or exchange period, then do that. And try again, hopefully with better results. 

If you have to RMA it, you can do that here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

Thank you for your support, I'll push further with gigabyte to see if it could be a motherboard issue.

You are very welcome. Please report back what you figure out. 

Also though seriously ask Noctua. Sometimes a fan does not spin as fast as it should and they know what RPM it should be.

Also make sure you are on the right fan header on your board. Make sure that fan header if configured for air cooler not radiator in the bios.

Gigabyte could help you with the fan config on that board too. 

0 Likes

Good news, after doing many test, dismounting the cooler, changing thermal paste, fan etc I've find the problem.

When you use Ryzen master and use gamer mode , it disable half of the core but you can't re-enable them after putting everything into default setting. You have to uninstall the software and re-install it and reboot to solve this.

Thank you Pokester for you help, I've found by your tests I had a heat issue, now it solved by tightening the cooler srews a little more. But the Noctua NH-D9L is not the best solution for this power hungry CPU.

If other facing this issu, look at your task manager the actual core count you PC is using.

0 Likes

You are very welcome. I hope it brings you years of trouble free computing!

Take care!

0 Likes

We used to have a thread with 3DMark Benchmark numbers that you could look up...

Gone.

0 Likes