Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

justanother3900xowner
Journeyman III

3900x all cores Cinebench behaviour

Hello AMD and community,

I am the owner of a 3900x. My concern is with my core boost clocks as well as PPT, TDC and EDC values as reported by Ryzen Master when I run Cinebench Release 20. The Cinebench test is executed without any programs running in the background.

As we can see on the image here, my 3900x clocks run around 3982 MHz and its PPT, TDC and EDC values are in the red zone, that is at 100%, 95% and 96%. These 3 variables seem to be a bottleneck.

At the moment, I'm concerned with the fact that my CPU can't seem to hit 4200 to 4300 MHz boost-clocks on all-cores with these Cinebench tests when reading Ryzen Master values (clock values as reported by HWInfo might be a bit higher actually).

Could AMD people and/or other owners confirm that these values for PPT, TDC and EDC when running Cinebench on all-cores is typical and standard behaviour? 

pastedImage_15.png

Here is my config:
3900x with  a Noctua NH D15 cooler ;

MPG x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi from MSI running BIOS version 7B93v11 (AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3a) ;

2 x 8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal running at 3600 16-16-16-36 ;

Windows 10 version 1903 ; I am running the AMD Balanced Plan

The only BIOS settings that are not "stock" are the RAM XMP settings. In BIOS I simply activated the XMP profile and my RAM sticks then automatically settled to said timings. Note that I am running BIOS version 7B93v11 (AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3a) because the 7B93v124 (ComboPI1.0.0.3abb) is a Beta version for my motherboard at the moment (Support For MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design |...).

Any thoughts on the subject are welcome. 

Thank you!

11 Replies
rodrox
Adept III

I only have a Ryzen 5 3600, AGESA 1003 ABB and the newest AMD chipset drivers, and all core boost speed on Cinebench R20 are around 4025~4050 (with a Deep Cool Gammaxx GTE air cooler / with stock cooler all core frecuency was way lower).

I can tell you is that your temps reading look fine, for 12 core CPU at all core load, so that shouln't be part of the problem.

On the other hand those red values do look like a somewhat BIOS/MOBO limitation.

As for boost frecuency on all cores, according to Silicon Lotery results, you don't seem to be very far from the average. I know thats not great news, take a loot at this article for more info: Silicon Lottery Reveals AMD Ryzen 3000 Binning Stats.

I really hope someone with more experience on that chip can help you, so you can get a work around to squeeze a bit more juice from your Ryzen.

Cheers!

0 Likes
kofin
Adept I

Hi,

I have exactly same configuration as you (Except power plan, I am using AMD high perf) and my result are same. So it looks like this is intended behaviour?

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

kofin‌ 
Thank you for your answer, kofin. 
So PPT, TDC and EDC values going at their maximum stock limits in Cinebench could very well be intendend behaviour. It makes sense : the CPU is asking for everything it can from the motherboard.

I also see you are able to achieve a Cinebench R20 score 100 points higher than my computer. That's about 1% higher than my highest score.

About clocks, do you also get like me around 4000 Mhz max on all-cores tests in Cinebench R20 and a max close to 4300 Mhz in single-core runs?

0 Likes

Yes, but clarification from AMD would be great.

Still I think it could boost further, because temp is alright and power delivery on X570 motherboards is quite good.

I am concerned about single thread. Because max boost clock is 4,6 GHz, but pretty much nobody is able to get there. I can get to 4,3-4,4 GHz. Temperature is not problem, power delivery is not problem, so why it does not reach 4,6 GHz? I do not know.

That beta bios will probably decrease actual clock, because it contains AGESA 1.0.0.3 abb, where AMD lowered optimal temperature.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_5.png

If you want to know more check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSoZAdk_E8&t=0s

3900x Max Boost Consolidated Testing/Results 

0 Likes
rapierarch
Journeyman III

Did you check the vrm temps. Apparently that board has terrible vrms that 's probably why your cpu cannot boost.

0 Likes

Hi,

where did you get that info about VRM?

Thank you

0 Likes

Hardware unboxed vrm test. MSI X570 Unify + $250~ VRM Thermal Test - YouTube 

And here is hardwareinfo.nl x570 comparison. It is in Dutch but google translate works Hardware Info 

here below vrm test chart on 3900x

pastedImage_6.png

0 Likes

Thank you for links.

I have tried to test it on my setup (Monitoring with HWinfo). I have been running Prime95 for 15 minutes and temp on VRM was only 72°C.

My lower temperature is probably caused by my CPU cooler as I am using Noctua ND-D15 -> better airflow over heatsinks on VRM

0 Likes

Here are my scores for my 3900x
On a Gigabyte x470 aorus gaming wifi 7 with 32GB (4 x 8GB Corair 3200 cl16 ram)full score R20 - 1.jpg

0 Likes
chevelle970
Journeyman III

Capture.PNGHere is my config:
3900x with  a Noctua NH D15 cooler ;

ASUS ROG Chrosshair viii Hero running BIOS version 1201 ;

G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB 2x16GB DDR4-3600 Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC running at 3600 16-19-19-39 ;

Windows 10 version 1903 ; I am running the AMD High Performance Plan

Latest drivers for everything...ryzen master, chipset, bios, windows, etc.

Running DOCP(XMP) in bios and been playing around with the PBO settings. I forget the exact setting, but it was level3(OC) or something which pretty much diabled PPT and TDC at 4000+ but EDC was 145. I was getting around a 7125 on cb20 with EDC maxed out and seeming to be the limiting factor. I set PBO to manual in the bios and set PPT and TDC to 4000 and EDC to 150 and cb20 hit 7219 again with EDC again maxed out. I'm just not sure how high I should go with EDC and whether or not I could just disable it(4000) so it doesn't max out. Certainly need to do some more testing and those values from HWinfo are not after a cb run. Those are after a cold boot with citrix workspace running in the background.

0 Likes

My best on R20 pretty much just using standard PBO with max cpu boost clock set to 200MHz was 7348

4.600-7348-4.475.jpg

0 Likes