Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

karsayor
Journeyman III

3800x temperature on water

Hello

I read a lot about new AMD processors last days and the fact that they behave like graphic cards, trying to maximize the performance by adjusting voltage and frequencies. Still, I think something is wrong with my setup or CPU.

It's boost frequency barely reaches 4.3 Ghz on a single core and Cinebench R20 Multicore score is at 4500... 

I have it (3800X) with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, 2x 16Gb  GSkill memory and a GTX 1080 TI Strix. CPU+VRM and GC are watercooled by EK waterblocks. I have one 360 and one 240 radiators.

When I try to stress my CPU, while gaming or anything else, it gets really hot, like 88° C. The GC in the meantime is at around 60° C. If I stress the CPU alone, temperatures are going the same level, after a few seconds of tests it's at 80-85° C.

I tried to raise fan speed and pump speed to the max, it barely changes anything.Obiously since CG is cold while gaming, it's not a loop / cooling issue.

I tried to reseat twice the monobloc it didn't help at all.

All settings voltages and so on are default settings. Latest BIOS and latest chipset Driver with either AMD Max Performance Power plan or AMD Balanced.

There must be something wrong !?

0 Likes
4 Replies

How do you know it is not the CPU block which is defective, because you should have temperatures no worse than mine.

Also, for reference, is my 3700X manually set to 4.3ghz 1.2v under AIDA64 FPU stress test (maximum heat generation) cooled with a Corsair H115i, and it levels out about 82*C.

0 Likes
karsayor
Journeyman III

If I lower the CPU voltage then of course the temperature is getting better. What concerns me is the following. I am supposed to get a boost to 4.5 Ghz on a single core, the most it makes is 4.3 Ghz with a voltage of 1.4 Volts.

I feel like my unit is defektive and trying to get the more voltage it can but it only heats up more, frequencies is still a bit low. I don't see the point of having a CPU that behaves incorrectly with stock settings and having to set everything by myself to achieve both frequencies and not an excessive temperature.

What are your cinebench scores on multi / single cores with your freq / voltage ?

0 Likes

I'd suggest asking in the Gigabyte forums and see if this is an issue with your motherboard, as some can't hit full boost frequencies even after the AGESA update.

Under normal usage. Has been as high as 5058 CPU and 500 single core with nothing running.

0 Likes

I could manage a much better result by just locking voltage to 1.225 and frequencies of all cores to 4.2 Ghz. Now I get approximately the same scores as you do, while maintaining temps at 82-83 at most.

Still I wonder what's wrong and why I have to lock the voltage back to get more or less the expected performance, which is not attained by default. It really feels like it's just sending more and more power to the processor and does the opposite of improving performances...

0 Likes