cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ken429
Adept II

3800X runs hotter that 2700X

What are other people experiencing with the 3800X on an X470 MB.  The Vcore jumps to 1.40+V every time there is a background task.    I am running the system with BIOS Defaults.  Does the 3800X do this on a X570 MB?  Under load it likes ~1.36V.  Also, with an old Swiftech Apogee XL water block in a  custom cooling loop the system runs IBT - 10 passes and reaches a max temp of ~72c.  That's 2 or 3c better than it was doing with an EVGA CLC 280 AIO.   I've got a newer Apogee SKF water block on order maybe that will cut the max temp another 2 or 3c.  I'm currently using MX-4 (2019) thermal paste.  I've got a tube of Grizzly that I haven't tried yet.  Comments please.

0 Likes
9 Replies

The short story as this is talked about in great length if you search the forums.

Make sure you have the latest MB Bios. Make sure you download the latest Chipset Driver from AMD and install it. Make sure you download the latest Ryzen Master from AMD and install it, this will give your the latest Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. Restart and choose that plan in your Windows Power Settings. If you then go to advanced settings for that power profile set the minimum processor state to 5% and this will help idle temps a bit more.

Know that yes Ryzen 3 runs hotter than Ryzen 1 & 2. Even though the fab is smaller and more power efficient, chiplets are smaller and create heat in a smaller amount of space and can be harder for some coolers to dissipate that heat on the new chips compared to the old. Many AIO blocks need revision as they don't align correctly with the new chiplet layout on the chip either.

Talk to support for your cooling solution to make sure you don't need a revised plate. Doing the steps above that I gave if you have not done them may help temps a bit.

MX-4 is good and I use it a lot.

The Spire CPU cooler will handle the thermal load fine

be sure you use a very small amount of thermal material < 1/2 of a BB worth

0 Likes

pokestar,

Yeah, I got all the latest stuff installed.  Probably the reason the Swiftech water block works a little better that the EVGA CLC 280 is because the copper plate covers 100%+ of the Ryzen 3800X.

hardcoregames,

I found that using just a small amount of thermal grease placed in the middle of the the 3800X is not enough to allow it to spread to all four corners of the CPU.  I tried the 5-point method and it seems to work much better.  Also, Grizzly thermal past comes with multiple spreaders and suggests (youtube clip) you make sure the entire CPU surface is covered with a thin layer of thermal paste.

Still waiting to here what other 3800X users are experiencing on thermal performance!

0 Likes

I used a tiny dot and I power down a lot so there is a lot of thermal pumping and when I changed motherboards I noticed my box had it spread out fine

0 Likes

Everyone has what they think is best for applying grease. I always spread a thin layer to all surface edges of both pieces then 3 dots down the middle additional and wiggle it around before tightening it down.

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Everyone has what they think is best for applying grease. I always spread a thin layer to all surface edges of both pieces then 3 dots down the middle additional and wiggle it around before tightening it down.

that is still 10x too much

gaps are micron level not miles

0 Likes

I have always been more than happy with my results. They have always been to the low side of average if not better. I have never had a CPU fail ever and I push them hard for many many years. Most of mine see service of about 10 to 16 years. I do tend to clean my coolers and put on new grease however, every few years. I think this is something many do not do.

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I have always been more than happy with my results. They have always been to the low side of average if not better. I have never had a CPU fail ever and I push them hard for many many years. Most of mine see service of about 10 to 16 years. I do tend to clean my coolers and put on new grease however, every few years. I think this is something many do not do.

MX-4 lasts over 10 years easily. Once the machine is thermally table it stay that way.

Apple recently taped out the TSMC 5nm line for next year's iPhones. Other reports suggest TSMC has made it to 50% yields.

I have gone through 3 socket AM4 motherboards so far.

0 Likes
wingnutt270
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue and it has NOTHING to do with your thermal paste.

Today I went from a 2700X to a 3800X, no other change in components.

With water cooling (240mm AIO)  my 2700X idled just below 30C and even when overclocked it never saw above the low 60s.

With the same cooling on the 3800X Im seeing idle temps in the high 30s low 40s and hitting low 70s on cinebench STOCK.

0 Likes