cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

myxcha
Journeyman III

3800x running at 50-60 degrees while idle

I just upgraded my PC build and using AMD Ryzen Master I am getting on average 55 degree temperatures while idle.

I thought it might have been thermal paste application but I removed it and reapplied it again but still getting the same temps.

I've tried most suggestions I could find online but still stuck with this issue. Is this a BIOS issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs

AMD Ryzen 3800x

AMD Wraith Prism Cooler (Stock cooler that came with CPU)

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max

AMD RX 480

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16

NZXT H510 Case

Screenshot of Ryzen Master below:

pastedImage_1.jpg

2 Replies

That's going to make it idle hot, but it's nothing to worry about. Even under liquid cooling and a much lower voltage (1.2v), idle temps around 35-40*C are normal simply because Ryzen processors can clock very low and change clock speeds very quickly, and there is always something that is going to spike a core for a fraction of a second which drives up temps.

I like my cpu's cool as I count on them lasting a long time. They typically migrate to other parts of the house as I get a new gaming system, translating to some being well over 10 years. That being said keeping the cool translates into keeping them running trouble free.

I find that the AMD coolers are just not good enough. I can tell you for about 35 bucks you can get a very capable cooler that will much better cool that chip. You don't need to invest in liquid cooling at all. I use a Cooler Master 212 evo my idle temps are in the mid 30's and under 100% load I don't  go over 73c. 

So an aftermarket cooler will likely improve your temps by 10 to 20 degrees. 

0 Likes