cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

aessari
Journeyman III

3700x issues - Temps, Voltages and Frequency (x570 Aurorus Elite)

Hello, I just recently bought a 3700x. My set up is x570 Aurorus Elite, 3700x with stock cooler firmly clipped on, Patriot Viper DRR4s set at 3466mhz cl16, with a geforce 970 for now.

Updated Bios, Chipset Driver, GPU Drivers. Ryzen Balanced Powerplan selected. While doing nothing except watching a video on Firefox, the temperature jumps between 50-60c. When trying to observe voltages (using Ryzen Master only) it never goes below 1,40v and usually stable around 1,45v.

According to task manager it never goes below 4.1Ghz. Just from browsing the internet. When I tried downvolting or disabling core performance boost it would report different results so it's not task manager being wonky (below 4.0Ghz, but then wouldnt boost above it).

When putting the CPU under some stress like streaming + gameplay it easily jumps to 75c and higher to the point that the case was hot on the outside after less than 2 hours of use.

Today morning (screenshot 3) I ran cinebench with the auto bios settings its supposed to work with and from 4,10Ghz and 1,45v it dropped down to 3,85Ghz at 100% usage. So did the voltage. But PPT, TDC and EDC got maxed out.

Screenshots:

1. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/240185276796764170/609535033828442142/unknown.png

2. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/240185276796764170/609535508753678336/unknown.png

3. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/240185276796764170/609690356614955019/unknown.png

I dont think this is normal, bunch of people are reporting those occurences. Please inform me what the normal behaviour should be!!!!!! I really want to know what Im aiming for - and what I can do to achieve it. Is it a faulty unit or whats causing these annoying issues?

0 Likes
1 Reply
xlox
Forerunner

hi , people think this is not normal because it doesn't have the same behaviour as their previous hardware (in fact it seems just an analysing problem of the numbers) ... but with the right tools , you can see their is nothing alarming

full speed clock 4.275Ghz , with 1.5V , in "idle" state, ok that seems weird but it's just a tool reporting, why not complaining to the maker of the tool , i explain, with that numbers in the same time you have a consumption of  5W ... so it isn't loaded at all... when the system is more loaded , the vcore decrease because of the load and because it need intensity, while clock decrease because of temps and intensity for same vcore but then it's what's called vdrop ... all of these are related

and i just saw that if not focusing on the tool the cpu idles better ... just a matter of tweaking at the end

your temps seems ok , but if you want to be reassured you can change your cooling system and/or decrease the offset in bios

i actually apply -0.05V offset to gain 5 degrees ,

at full load my cpu (3700x too) can up to 73° but it's currently at 29° (ryzen balanced power plan , my cooling system : h115i pro at "balanced" settings)

or you can choose to use the energy saver power plan when you don't need the full power of the cpu as it is efficient to work with (that wasn't the case with my last cpu that was really slowing down even for browsing web pages)

if your cpu clock goes down a lot while on load , it's surely because throttling because it's too hot, so better solution is to apply a correct cooling system ... don't forget you cpu overclocks itself , overclocking allways means more heat that's logical

there are several "solutions" to what people think is a problem

if you don't want to spend money with better cooling system : just go with throttling (that's what's intended to manage poor cooling system), or try undervolting with negative offset (maybe you will loose performance but maybe not so much as you thought)

if you have a little money go for a medium watercooling system to maximise the use of the cpu

people seems to forget that even it's 7nm , now they have more cores so temps can be expected be the same as previously while they had less cores , that's a choice not an issue at all

0 Likes