cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

deadlock542
Adept I

3700x Idling at ~75 degrees - Terraria runs at ~95

Edit 6: Going up top so that the solution is clear for my problem. I installed the Wraith Prism that came with my 3700x, and my thermals are well within acceptable limits again. I idle at ~45 degrees and topped out at ~65 in Titanfall 2. My cooler does sound like hell, but at this point, I'm not overly concerned. The problem was very clearly my AIO not being sufficient for the load I was putting on it. The next big test is figuring out how to actually change the colors of this cooler.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I just bought this processor and installed it this morning, and I can't fix these thermals. I'm using an NZXT Kraken 120mm AIO water cooler in a push config with a Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm fan. This is all situated in an NZXT S340 midtower. I used to run this exact same config with a Ryzen 5 1600 with no thermal issues. I reapplied thermal paste 3 times (I'm using Corsair TM30).

The rest of my specs are as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 3700X clocked at ~4.0GHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 8Gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 Gb, 2 stick

PSU: EVGA 500 BQ 80+ Bronze

MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk

Honestly these temps are unacceptable, and I can't find an answer I truly understand. I'm baffled that at 7% utilization in task manager I'm at 95 degrees. Please help, I'm terrified to try wireless VR.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit 1: I disabled PBO but am still at ~72 degrees idle. Nothing seems to get above 95 though, but I'll include a list of games and their average temps:

Risk of Rain 1: 82 Degrees

Risk of Rain 2: 95 Degrees

Apex Legends: 95 Degrees

Terraria: 95 Degrees

Titanfall 2: 95 Degrees

Google Chrome: 81 Degrees

None of the games that reached 95 ever went above that, they stagnated around 95.02 at the most. I'm unsure of why this is. I have yet to adjust my clock speeds, as I'm not overly comfortable doing that, but I will try it soon. I turned on game boost for kicks and giggles, and it just crashed repeatedly.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________Edit 2: I messed around with Ryzen master to try to lower clock speeds, but any time I hit apply and test, it thermal throttles and turns off my pc. I'm lost, well and truly

_______________________________________________________________________________________________Edit 3: I've messed around with underclocking again, with slightly more success. It thermal throttles less often, but it still isn't stable. The 95 degree cap seems to have gone away, as I got up to 106 degrees while playing Titanfall 2. I'm going to try the air cooler tonight or tomorrow if I can find the piece I'm missing, maybe I accidentally screwed my water cooler by accident.

Edit 4: Added the picture. You can't make this crap up. This was after a reset. I'm getting in contact with proper AMD support

Edit 5: I  went through the power plan and discovered that even on Ryzen Balanced, my CPU was still being forced to use at least 90% of its power at all times, so I lowered that to 1%, and am seeing significantly better thermals on idle, ~50 degrees. It's still not fantastic, but the improvement is more than worth acknowledging.

0 Likes
24 Replies