cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

darkjaden
Adept I

3700x (I´m lost)

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I decided to write here to see if anyone could help me.

I bought the Ryzen 3700x output and after waiting a few weeks I got it. Trying it, even with the new BIOS and balanced plan of Ryzen, I see that the voltages are very high at idle 1.4-1.5V, although then in load is usually 1.35v approx.

As I have always seen that these voltages are crazy, I decided to disable the Core Boost in BIOS and with the Ryzen Master, have a profile of 4.2Ghz at 1.27 V. Playing games for hours I had no problems. But Cinebench R20 gives failure in that profile (It does not turn off or restart)

What do you think?

*I add information, the motherboard is a x470 aorus gaming 7.

Thanks to all

0 Likes
14 Replies
rodrox
Adept III

When you said Cinebench gives failure, you meant it stop working ?, If so, then you may probably need a bit more power, try adding some more voltage, little by little, anything below 1,335volts should be more than fine with Ryzen CPUs, according to what AMD said, this are supposed to work with up to 1.5v - of course no one in they right mind will keep 1.5v for a long time.

Ryzen 7 3700X chps are suppoed to be better binned than the lower price models, but 1.27v for a 4.2GHz frecuency I think is way too optimistic.

Check out what Silicon Lottery find out on any of this articles:

Silicon Lottery Starts Selling Binned 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen CPUs | TechPowerUp 

Silicon Lottery Reveals AMD Ryzen 3000 Binning Stats 

I have two quesitons for you darkjaden, what is your CPU cooling solution (kind of cooler you are using)?, and also while runing Cinebench, what are your CPU temps (you can use hwinfo to check this (just make sure to reset the MIN/MAX/AVG values once the rendering strated) ?

Thanks and good luck !

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I have a liquid cooling kit (all in one) Enermax Liqtech II 360mm, I put screenshots for you to see what it says HWinfo

Idle/ Boost disable (3,6 Ghz Default):

idle+ no PBO.png

((I´m from Sevilla (South of Spain, my room is very warm in summer and it's over 30ºC)))

after cinebench (Config 4,125 Ghz // 1,31875 V All cores with Ryzen Master):

tras benchmark.png

*I don't know if it's a good chip or not, from what I see I think it's bad (?)

This is the image of the error that gave me cinebench with other profiles:

Captura Fallo cinebech.png

Finally, I would like to know why playing does not give me problems and is more frequency (4.2 Ghz) and lower voltage (1.27V)?

Thanks!

0 Likes

First of all, thanks for sharing the screenshots, Im kinda shocked that even with liquid cooling like yours temps gets up to 71°C (which is not bad for summer times at all). I just always thought that liquid cooling was way, way, way, better than air cooling (my super basic stock cooler wraith stealth - Ryzen 5 3600 -, on winter temps, its giving me 86°C on consecutive Cinebench Runs).

As for your last question: "... I would like to know why playing does not give me problems and is more frequency (4.2 Ghz) and lower voltage (1.27V)?"  Once again Im not an expert on overclocking, just someone that has been a PC technician for over 20 years, I believe that the reason is simple because while gaming, you are not stressing the 8 cores/16 threads at 100% load continuously.

When you play a game, the workload bascially travel (this is not the correct term) betwen your GPU and CPU, of course some games are more CPU bound while others more GPU bound, but for the big majority, most games wont stress your CPU at 100% all cores and threads (and usually, when that happends, it means that your CPU is probably bottlenecking your GPU and is time to think about change it).

In short Cinebench stress your CPU, all cores, all threads at 100% for as long as the render last, and the voltage is simple  not enough. Most really new games, for now, don't use more than 8, 10, 12, maybe 16 threads, but even if they do use 16, it wont be at 100% all threads at the same time (thats why, in this case the 1.27v its enough)

Thats why I think you can play games, but not run Cinebench.

You've helped me understand the matter a little better. Thanks a lot!

The temperature goes up a lot, then it stabilizes. This is due, I think, to the normal automatic ventilation profile, thinking to give less noise from the fans.

Thanks and enjoy the 8 cores / 16 threads beast you got :- )

"Ryzen 7 3700X chps are suppoed to be better binned than the lower price models"

Actually, since there is no Ryzen 7 3700 (non-X) the 3700X is the lowest priced 8-core and therefore gets the lowest binned 8-core chiplets. The very best ones are used to make Epyc. The worst ones go into the 3700X and slightly better ones go into the 3800X. Even better ones are needed for the 3950X, which is probably why it didn't launch in July.

Yes, but remember that 3600 or 3600X are basically 6 cores + 2 disable ons, so thats why I wrote that if they didn't made to 3700X, then 3700X is "supposed" to be better binned than 3600 or 3600X, not sure if I explaint it correctly.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

You are doing an all core overclock... You likely need to increase your vcore voltage to something like 1.35 to 1.4v, I wouldnt go over 1.4v myself.. 

These ryzen 3000 series cpu's run higher voltages than intel cpu's and even the previous generation ryzen cpu's.. but they also run at lower wattage than intel and previos generation ryzen cpu's..

0 Likes

Thank you for your response, the truth is that I am currently doing well as I have configured. I haven't had any problems to make an intensive use in games with those voltages.

In the same way, I am calmer knowing that high voltages can be given.

Thank you!

0 Likes

I was comin to work on the subway today, and it came ot my mind, if you don't feel confortable with more voltage, you can also try and lower 50MHz (in 25Mhz Steps) your CPU frecuency. This may solve the issue too, and 25 ~ 50MHz less shouldnt be a huge impact on performance at all.

So I will give it a shoot, istead of 4.2GHz I will try with 4150 MHz, performance wise should be very similar. If it works and its stable with Cinebench, try stepping to 4175MHz. 

Please let us know the results !!!

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

0 Likes
darkjaden
Adept I

Good, it's been a few complicated weeks, I'll quickly write (Maybe later I'll be able to put screenshots):

To have 4.2 GHz and hold Cinebench r20 I have to raise voltages to over 1.32 V and I think it can be dangerous over time.

First stable test: 4,150 Ghz at 1,31875 V ( Score 4916)

Second stable test: 4.1 Ghz at 1.25 V (Score 4827)

I think the second test is the most desirable, but I will continue with my profile of 4.2 Ghz to 1.28 V to play (so far I had no problems)

Thank you all for the answers.

Greetings!

Im not an expert on overclocking, but far as I know anything below 1.35 is super safe for Ryzen 3xxx cpus. Once again, Im glad you tried what I wrote.

On my motherboard I can set 4125MHz , maybe you could make this work at 1.27~1.285v, and honestly, on  gaming scenarios, you shouldn't see more than 3 FPS to 5 FPS diference (which will be inside the error marging).

Don't hate me for this but....keep in mind that just beacuse you don't see problems in game for now, it does not mean that all your cores are able to hit 4,2GHz all the time in games (actually they are probably there, fixed on 4,2GHz, its just that theres no much electrical current passing through all of them while gaming), most of them aren't probably working at 100%, thats why game don't freeze on you, and Cinebench do.

Once games get more heavy on the CPU side of things, you may encounter problems and then you will probably need to raise voltage or lower frecuency a bit.

Cheers

Hi! Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Don't worry, I don't hate you for it, as long as I don't get into trouble I have that philosophy.

Although I played Breakpoint beta at 4.1 Ghz 1.25V and it went quite well, there is hardly any difference with 4.2 . It's less voltage and I think the performance is very similar or even higher, I'll leave it there. For normal tasks I will continue to leave it in base frequency without the automatic boost.

Greetings!