Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cheezeartz
Adept I

3700X boost issues persist

Hey guys,

so I was very excited that the new chipset drivers where released.
Apparently, they fixed the boosting issues for a lot of people, however for me personally, they still exist.
If any of you could help me, I would be very thankful...

First of all, my setup:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X under a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon with BIOS Version 7B78v29 with AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab
16GB DDR4 3200 CL 16
Palit GeForce RTX 2070 Super JS

Software:
Windows 10 build 1903
latest chipset drivers from july 31st
latest ryzen master
ryzen balanced power plan

Now to my issues:

As stated above, my CPU refuses to boost properly. (images below)

To start of with Cinebench Multiscore, I get a max. all core boost to 4.075 Mhz, sometimes 4.1 Ghz.
This results to a score which is basically my CPU at stock when compared to all the reviews.

The real issue is my single core boosting behaviour, because it is REALLY weird.
One core boosts properly to about 4.2 Ghz, which is not that high all by itsels, however it drops down every few seconds to under 3 Ghz, stays there for a moment and goes back up to just over 4 Ghz.
This results in a terrible single core score with on average 460 points.

To demonstrate that this problem still exists in Games, I loaded up GTA V in 800x600 to show you that I only get around 90 FPS, with my cores not really boosting all that high.

My temps are all in Check, so where do I have my mistake?

I really appreciate your help guys!

Screenshots:
0 Likes
30 Replies
rebo7
Journeyman III

Very similar issues for me with 3700X and X570 Aorus Elite. Not sure about frequency dropping to 3GHz you mentioned, but surely my max boost on all cores is between 4.0 and 4.1 GHz. Other users get something like 4.2-4.3GHz which is still not as advertised.

CPU.jpg

0 Likes

Hey I got the same board and just wanted to ask if you ran into voltage/idle issues? I seem to be stuck above 1,4v and 4,1ghz while just browsing. (more here https://community.amd.com/message/2924713 ) 

Hows your system otherwise?

0 Likes

Hi there. Yes I ran into issues regarding voltages. I've discovered that Windows power plan has great impact on voltages, stuck voltages, CPU temperatures and even benchmark results. Try switching between Default Windows Balanced and Ryzen Balanced and see which is better for you.

0 Likes

With the new Bios, voltages and clocks are stuck at 1m4v and 4.25Ghz on the desktop, I will go back to the previous bios asap.

Power Plan does not impact this at all strangely.

0 Likes

With the new Bios, voltages and clocks are stuck at 1m4v and 4.25Ghz on the desktop, I will go back to the previous bios asap.

Singe core boost sucks, multi core boost works fine I guess...

0 Likes
sqwerty
Adept II

To clarify, boost clock is for single thread only. 4GHz to 4.2GHz is normal for multi thread loads (even lower for extreme load).

Your CPUs should hit 4.4GHz boost, the trouble is like you say that it cannot sustain it (even single core) if the load is relatively high making a static manual OC at 4.3 actually faster.

0 Likes
mcalin
Adept III

These new 3rd Gen Ryzen Processors act differently to the 1st and 2nd Gen, i find myself setting the Ryzen Performance Power Plan for bench-marking and switching back to Ryzen Power Saver Plan when just surfing the web or playing games, if game need more power then i switch to Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.

You can also edit the power plan in advanced settings, and change the minimum processor level to say 50% (down from 100% on Performance Plan.

Do not setting maximum processor usage below 100%!

Min-Max-CPU-State.png

Ryzen-High-Perf.jpg

Power-Saver-Plan.jpg

You don't need to restart windows after making changed, it affects the voltage within 5 seconds.

I have actually come to like this as i can tell my CPU when i want full power and when i don't, in summer i will be using power saver plans most of the day.

You don't drive your car at full speed all the time, unless your racing...

If you dont see Ryzen Power plans installed then you haven't installed the correct chipset drivers.

There is also one more problem. When using Ryzen Balanced power plan my benchmark results are significantly lower than when using Windows Balanced power plan. Why is that? Should't this be opposite?

3DMark Timespy - drop from 9600 to 9000 score

UserBenchmark - drop from "95% score, above expectations" to "91% score, way below expectations"

With Windows Balanced my idle voltages are good, just as with Ryzen Balanced, so is there any reason to use the recommended Ryzen Balanced?

EDIT: It seems that enabling PBO fixed the low results with Ryzen Balanced..? I don't know anymore. These new Ryzens act strangely.

0 Likes
jv8
Journeyman III

I also have similar single thread boost behavior (bouncing and slow).

My setup:

3900X with stock cooler

MSI X570 Edge w/ latest v1.2 BIOS (I believe 1.0.0.3a AMD microcode)

Win10 1903

Latest chipset drivers

Latest Ryzen Master

Ryzen high perf power plan

When I run an all-core bench I can boost to 4.1 GHz on all cores.  This is fine with me.

But single core benchmarks run at a slower speed!  It might jump up to 4.1 or 4.2 for very short period and then jump back down to 3.0 or lower.  It jumps back and forth.

Temperature is 52C.

EDIT:

I think this might be as designed.   I ran the Passmark CPU benchmark and scored at the top of the single thread list even while the boost was jumping up and down.  My guess is a core is boosted for a short time until it gets hot.  Then the new Win10 scheduler dynamically moves the computation to a cold core.  Eventually when the original core cools down it gets the process back.

Just a guess... but whatever.  As long as the benchmarks are good and the system is cool enough.

0 Likes
ghostryderflyby
Journeyman III

Same problem, Ryzen 3800X 4.5ghz max boost, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570 with F10c BIOS, AMD 09/27/19 chipset drivers, optimized defaults are loaded with XMP enabled on 32gb of 3600mhz CL16 DDR4. Windows power mode is set to Ryzen Performance mode, and I'm running game mode with precision boost overdrive enabled in Ryzen Master. I'm using a Corsair H100i Pro AIO cooler, and temps are never exceeding 70c, but the highest boost frequency I have ever seen the CPU hit in Ryzen Master, and that was for a micro second, was 4264mhz, with the normal being around 4215mhz during testing.

I've watched all the tutorials, followed all the steps, made sure everything is set as it should be to reach advertised maximum boost speeds (it should not be this ridiculously involved to enable advertised max boost speeds), and still the best it will hit is 4.2hgz. Where are my other 300mhz I paid for AMD??? This is a bit ridiculous. I didn't have to do any of this hocus pocus to hit max boosts on my Core i7 3770k.

Update: I ran Cinebench 20 multicore and single core and used HWINFO64 to check temps and mhz. On multicore test, the effective maximum on most cores was 4,167mhz, 4 out of 8 cores topped at 4,442 (split second) maximum, with that also being the maximum reached. Single core was again a 4,442 maximum with a 4,408 effective maximum, with temps peaking around 58c, far below thermal thresholds. Again, where are my other 100-300mhz AMD?

0 Likes
naman_4130
Adept I

For me the cinebench gives inconsistent results but for the most part my Ryzen 3700 is averaging around 4500 pts when it should go to 4700pts on multicore tests, also my clock speeds don't go past 3.95ghz on the multicore test. 

0 Likes
ghostryderflyby
Journeyman III

I'm still stuck using the 07/05/19 Gigabyte chipset drivers, as I can not get the AMD 09/27/19 driver to install (it hangs on "please wait... extraction in progress"), but I did re-flash my BIOS with the same 11/08/19 F10c BIOS. I loaded optimized defaults and enabled XMP.

I re-ran Cinebench 20, monitoring with Ryzen Master and HWiNFO64, and ran it in default mode, precision boost mode, and auto over clock mode. I had read several publications that said you are better to leave the Ryzen 7's alone and run them in default for best performance, and my testing proved this to be true.

Auto Over Clock-

HWiNFO64- most cores maxed 4,351mhz, one core hit 4,513mhz

Cinebench 20 score- 4906

Precision Boost-

HWiNFO64- 1 core maxed 4,391mhz, 6 cores maxed 4,442mhz, one core hit 4,519mhz

Cinebench 20 score- 4913

Default-

HWiNFO64- three cores hit 4,442mhz, one core hit 4,466mhz, two cores hit 4,491mhz, two cores hit 4,541mhz

Cinebench 20 score- 5002

All tests run using AMD Ryzen High Performance mode in Windows power and sleep advanced settings.

Maximum temps never exceeded 73.9c OC'd, and only hitting 65c at default. With a 90c thermal limit on the CPU, clearly there is some head room here, but overclocking reduces performance for some reason, even staying well below thermal limits??

So, I would say if you are overclocking and tweaking, you may want to go back to optimized defaults and default Ryzen Master settings. I'm guessing something wasn't set right in the BIOS settings the first go around, causing the missing mhz. Hopefully I can even eke a bit more performance out her, once I can install the new chipset drivers.

0 Likes

Atleast your chip is hitting 5K pts on cinebench, mine runs on stock settings and still gives me 4500 pts max

0 Likes

Do you have the windows power and sleep advanced settings set to AMD Ryzen High Performance mode? It defaults to balanced mode, and that might be where you are hitting a wall. Also, I found that even though I've never used Edge, it had 8 instances running in the background using memory and cpu cycles. I went into "background apps" and turned Edge and a bunch of other windows froofra off that I never use and re-ran Cenebench, and broke 5k.

Also, I was only hitting 4200mhz before. I re-flashed my BIOS to F10c (Gigabyte board) and set "optimized defaults" and enabled XMP again. After I did that, my system started hitting over 4500mhz. You might be facing a BIOS issue as well, and might try what I did.

0 Likes

I've tried closing as many background apps as possible (even going as far as uninstalling my antivirus), have fiddled around with the power plans (AMD high performance gives me 4500 pts as well), have downgraded my bios once, installed the latest bios twice and setting everything to default with AXMP on, I dont know what to do anymore now. Can it be a case of bad chip? I mean I need to know whether going for an RMA would fix this issue.

0 Likes

naman_4130, please do the following:
Uninstall MSI Afterburner and any other OC and monitor applications except for RM

Clear CMOS

Use AMD Ryzen Balanced, High Performance or Ultimate power plan

Post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) only, showing all information - do not cut off top, bottom or sides

Post your power supply specifications

Run Cinebench single thread

Do not OC at all

Tell us exactly what BIOS you are running and post the version and AGESA version as shown in CPU-Z MB tab

Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I found that the priority of the cinebench process in the task manager was set to "Below normal" which I guess caused the issue since window was not dedicating enough resources to cinebench, I changed the priority to "high" and now am. scoring 4700pts on stock settings. This is pretty weird, I mean why is windows auto setting the priority to below normal? But I think I might have to report back with the information you asked for if I face any other issues. 

0 Likes

naman_4130, I am trying to help you get to max boost.  Lots of things are important, but the most is probably having the AMD AGESA boost correction.  Be sure you are running the latest BIOS and please do answer my questions.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:My Cinebench R20 also has priority set to below normal.  This must be set by CB not W10.  I need to see RM when you are testing.

Referring to your previous reply:

1. I have uninstalled all other OC and monitoring programs (I had Dragon Center installed)

2. It should noted that I havent cleared the CMOS since I have not been able to free up enough time to open my CPU and use the jumper mechanism on the mobo due to the fact that there isnt a button on my mobo for the same. I'll report soon when am done with this.

3. Am using AMD High Performance power plan and have tested with the AMD Balanced power plan as well though it hasn't helped me much

4. You can view my PSU's specs here B700H | Power Supply - GIGABYTE India 

5. Running Cinebench on single thread gives me a score of 492pts

6. There is no OC going on and even PBO is off.

Additionally I've post Screenshots of rysen master when CPU is idle.(sorry if there are way too many images)Annotation 2019-11-24 204810.pngAnnotation 2019-11-24 204904.png

AGESA.pngRM 1 Cinebench Multicore.pngRM2 Cinebench Multicore.png

0 Likes

update: I'll be clearing the CMOS in a while but my results havent changed on cinebench (only changing the priority works but again I shouldnt have to do that in order to get a decent score)

0 Likes

I suggest reset the BIOS to optimal then enable UEFI so that windows will boot faster 

disable unused hardware is a good idea too

0 Likes

naman_4130, thanks for the screenshots.  I found  a discussion on Reddit including 1usmus and Robert Hallock suggesting installing the latest chip set drivers after installing the BIOS with the boost fix, so please go here and install the latest.  RM indicates you are being limited by PPT, TDC and EDC (all are red), so I recommend lifting all three.  In the last screenshot all readings are missing so please fix that so I can see them next time.  Please be sure you are running the latest available BIOS/AGESA versions.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thank you!!!! Downloading the recent chipset drivers have caused a decent bump in my score (around 4600pts), however, I still have the same bios i.e the latest one on my mobo. Also, I tried lifting PPT TDC and EDC but that causes the chip to heat a few degrees more than it was before. Also, the last two screenshots are in parts i.e the second last pic is part 1 of RM while CPU is under load with cinebench running and the last one is part 2 of RM with cinebench running, that's why you didnt see the reading are missing since I scrolled down in RM and took a screenshot again. I would also like to know what should be the boost clock speeds (on all cores) under continuous load with stock settings assuming the thermal are under control? 

0 Likes

couple of things pop up that need attention, AGESA BIOS 1.0.0.4 B is now widely available so update you motherboard.

with the new BIOS the CPU should operate much better

i suggest the default balanced power plan for 99% of gaming needs

0 Likes
ghostryderflyby
Journeyman III

Well hell. If anybody is rocking a Gigabyte X570 board, DO NOT update to the new 11/21/19 F10 BIOS they posted last night. I did and made the rookie mistake of not backing up my 11/08/19 F10c BIOS, which Gigabyte completely pulled down and replaced with the new F10 BIOS.

Long story short, my performance is borked now. On default it now only scores 4890 in Cinebench 20 (I was hitting 5002 on default), Precision Boost Overdrive only scores 4970, and Auto Overclock only scores 4944. Max mhz only hit 4,337 on every core on Default (it was hitting 4,442 on most cores on default), 4,442 on 6 out of 8 cores and 4,491 one core and 4,541 on one core on both Precision Overdrive and Auto Overclock.

Man I really wish I had saved that F10c BIOS. Grrrr.

0 Likes

On my MSI X570, the BIOS update improved my rigs stability significantly

0 Likes

I was rock solid stable on F10c and had great performance. Now on F10 I'm still stable, but took a pretty large hit on performance. They changed something in the final F10, and not for the better. I can't believe I didn't back the BIOS up. I never don't back the BIOS up. Really kicking myself right now.

0 Likes

Well I rolled back to F6b, as that is the most recent other BIOS available on the Gigabyte x570 downloads page. It's not F10c level performance, but it is a dang site better than F10. With F10, I lost 109pts on 3DMark Time Spy (9657 with F10C but only 9548 with F10). With F6b, I'm back up to 9637.

Cinebench 20 dropped from 5003 on F10c BIOS, clear down to 4890 with F10 BIOS. With F6b, I'm back up to 4983. I also noted all but one core hit 1.5ghz in HWiNFO64 with F6b, and with F10 they were only hitting 1.45ghz.

I'm still really wishing I had backed up my F10c BIOS before flashing, but reverting to F6b did get me back most of what F10 wiped out.

Regardless what BIOS I have tried, enabling precision boost overdrive, or auto overclock, always results in less performance than default. Which indicates something isn't optimized correctly in the firmware, or what would be the point in putting the effort into programming those options, if all they do is hurt performance.

0 Likes

I expect to see several BIOS updates over time to correct these and other problems

I recommend using the most current BIOS which is generally less flakey than earlier ones

0 Likes
jigzaw
Elite

Hi Cheezeartz

Just got my 3700X yesterday and just put in place of my 1700X with P5.80 Bios and later with P6.00

Setup:

Asrock Pro4 B350

G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3000C14-16GVK x 2

OEM Wraith Cooler

Windows 10 Home 1909

Radeon Pro WX4100

AMD Chipset Software 1.11.11.454 latest November release

I was surprise that my all core boost was at around 3967 Mhz and single core at 4316-4356Mhz

I use KeyShot and I have attached the images and shows my system behavior

KS8R73700X.pngKS8R73700XCPHWMon.png

0 Likes