Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cheezeartz
Adept I
Adept I

3700X boost issues persist

Hey guys,

so I was very excited that the new chipset drivers where released.
Apparently, they fixed the boosting issues for a lot of people, however for me personally, they still exist.
If any of you could help me, I would be very thankful...

First of all, my setup:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X under a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon with BIOS Version 7B78v29 with AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab
16GB DDR4 3200 CL 16
Palit GeForce RTX 2070 Super JS

Software:
Windows 10 build 1903
latest chipset drivers from july 31st
latest ryzen master
ryzen balanced power plan

Now to my issues:

As stated above, my CPU refuses to boost properly. (images below)

To start of with Cinebench Multiscore, I get a max. all core boost to 4.075 Mhz, sometimes 4.1 Ghz.
This results to a score which is basically my CPU at stock when compared to all the reviews.

The real issue is my single core boosting behaviour, because it is REALLY weird.
One core boosts properly to about 4.2 Ghz, which is not that high all by itsels, however it drops down every few seconds to under 3 Ghz, stays there for a moment and goes back up to just over 4 Ghz.
This results in a terrible single core score with on average 460 points.

To demonstrate that this problem still exists in Games, I loaded up GTA V in 800x600 to show you that I only get around 90 FPS, with my cores not really boosting all that high.

My temps are all in Check, so where do I have my mistake?

I really appreciate your help guys!

Screenshots:
0 Kudos
30 Replies
rebo7
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: 3700X boost issues persist

Very similar issues for me with 3700X and X570 Aorus Elite. Not sure about frequency dropping to 3GHz you mentioned, but surely my max boost on all cores is between 4.0 and 4.1 GHz. Other users get something like 4.2-4.3GHz which is still not as advertised.

CPU.jpg

0 Kudos
sqwerty
Adept II
Adept II

To clarify, boost clock is for single thread only. 4GHz to 4.2GHz is normal for multi thread loads (even lower for extreme load).

Your CPUs should hit 4.4GHz boost, the trouble is like you say that it cannot sustain it (even single core) if the load is relatively high making a static manual OC at 4.3 actually faster.

0 Kudos
aessari
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hey I got the same board and just wanted to ask if you ran into voltage/idle issues? I seem to be stuck above 1,4v and 4,1ghz while just browsing. (more here https://community.amd.com/message/2924713 ) 

Hows your system otherwise?

0 Kudos
rebo7
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi there. Yes I ran into issues regarding voltages. I've discovered that Windows power plan has great impact on voltages, stuck voltages, CPU temperatures and even benchmark results. Try switching between Default Windows Balanced and Ryzen Balanced and see which is better for you.

0 Kudos
cheezeartz
Adept I
Adept I

With the new Bios, voltages and clocks are stuck at 1m4v and 4.25Ghz on the desktop, I will go back to the previous bios asap.

Power Plan does not impact this at all strangely.

0 Kudos
cheezeartz
Adept I
Adept I

With the new Bios, voltages and clocks are stuck at 1m4v and 4.25Ghz on the desktop, I will go back to the previous bios asap.

Singe core boost sucks, multi core boost works fine I guess...

0 Kudos
mcalin
Adept III
Adept III

These new 3rd Gen Ryzen Processors act differently to the 1st and 2nd Gen, i find myself setting the Ryzen Performance Power Plan for bench-marking and switching back to Ryzen Power Saver Plan when just surfing the web or playing games, if game need more power then i switch to Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.

You can also edit the power plan in advanced settings, and change the minimum processor level to say 50% (down from 100% on Performance Plan.

Do not setting maximum processor usage below 100%!

Min-Max-CPU-State.png

Ryzen-High-Perf.jpg

Power-Saver-Plan.jpg

You don't need to restart windows after making changed, it affects the voltage within 5 seconds.

I have actually come to like this as i can tell my CPU when i want full power and when i don't, in summer i will be using power saver plans most of the day.

You don't drive your car at full speed all the time, unless your racing...

If you dont see Ryzen Power plans installed then you haven't installed the correct chipset drivers.

jv8
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I also have similar single thread boost behavior (bouncing and slow).

My setup:

3900X with stock cooler

MSI X570 Edge w/ latest v1.2 BIOS (I believe 1.0.0.3a AMD microcode)

Win10 1903

Latest chipset drivers

Latest Ryzen Master

Ryzen high perf power plan

When I run an all-core bench I can boost to 4.1 GHz on all cores.  This is fine with me.

But single core benchmarks run at a slower speed!  It might jump up to 4.1 or 4.2 for very short period and then jump back down to 3.0 or lower.  It jumps back and forth.

Temperature is 52C.

EDIT:

I think this might be as designed.   I ran the Passmark CPU benchmark and scored at the top of the single thread list even while the boost was jumping up and down.  My guess is a core is boosted for a short time until it gets hot.  Then the new Win10 scheduler dynamically moves the computation to a cold core.  Eventually when the original core cools down it gets the process back.

Just a guess... but whatever.  As long as the benchmarks are good and the system is cool enough.

0 Kudos
rebo7
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

There is also one more problem. When using Ryzen Balanced power plan my benchmark results are significantly lower than when using Windows Balanced power plan. Why is that? Should't this be opposite?

3DMark Timespy - drop from 9600 to 9000 score

UserBenchmark - drop from "95% score, above expectations" to "91% score, way below expectations"

With Windows Balanced my idle voltages are good, just as with Ryzen Balanced, so is there any reason to use the recommended Ryzen Balanced?

EDIT: It seems that enabling PBO fixed the low results with Ryzen Balanced..? I don't know anymore. These new Ryzens act strangely.

0 Kudos