Did you mean: 

Processors

IslamGhunym
Journeyman III

3400G Stubborn Instability on 3D applications

I built a system from:

ASUS B450M-A motherboard

Ryzen 5 3400G APU with Radeon Vega Graphics

2 x 8GB single rank of micron (Rev E) 3466MHz DDR4 memory (not the old Rev E ones)

the issue I am having is a random system reboots with no errors or warnings in WHEA logs in windows 10. reboots appears in random intervals after launching certain 3D applications like some games (not all games). for the first moment it looked like graphics instability. however using 3D stress tests will also causes reboots with no errors. I disabled PBO, but the issue was still there. the CPU IMC is what I blamed for such a way of crashing so I started increasing the SOC Voltage. I found that the APU could survive longer duration of tests without crashing and then I enabled PBO to get up to 1480 MHz graphic clock. I ended up setting the SOC voltage to 1.225V to eliminate this rebooting problem (using LLC levels increased instability so they were not useful). the APU later could survive all kind of 3D applications for endless time which I thought have fixed the issue. later I did memory stress testing for about 6 hours with OCCT to verify RAM stability which I had some doubts about it after increasing the SOC voltage that much. the memory was fully stable. after 2 days of using the APU rebooting started to appear again. I tried to go harder on the SOC voltage up to 1.25 with no success. the system was rebooting after launching a game for about 10 minutes. I got lost here and tried to disable CPU Boost so I was running only on base clock speeds and that seemed to fix the issue which made me blame the high boost frequency of the CPU. that what I thought..... I rebooted the system and enabled boosting again as it was before then tested the system surviving an 8 hours of gaming session on1.225 SOC Voltage which is weird considering I had frequent reboots in about just 10 minutes...... here I had only one variable I could blame which is thermals. I thought maybe higher thermals were causing IMC to crash so I almost burnt the CPU with higher temperatures about 90 degrees to see if it will crash and reboot, but it didn't as long as I didn't reach the thermal throttle point I could say nope it is not thermals. later in a matter of days reboots started to appear again and this time disabling CPU boost didn't fix it. I got lost. I felt like everything I was doing was a placebo and nothing is fixing the issue. I just want to know **bleep** is causing this stubborn instability!

I had some experience with Intel before and was new to AMD. I never had any problems tweaking Intel stuff even those old crap core 2 duos. usually overclocking a system extremely takes about 2 days and later the system would have no problmes for years, but I don't see this with this AMD CPU. as you can see I ran into painful moments.

0 Likes
0 Replies