Computer Type: Desktop

APU: RYZEN 3400G

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550M DS3H

BIOS Version: F13g

RAM: 2x8gb G-Skill F4-3200C14

PSU: Coolermaster 650W Gold

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO 20H2

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin Driver Version: 21.5.2

Description of Original Problem: Had a week of random BSOD's (with different errors each time) and boot loops after a crash. Eventually got through in Safe Mode, uninstalled every hardware driver, and reinstalled - everything was good as gravy for about a week.

When using anything that requires GPU utilisation (CAD, watching some YT videos, etc), I will get a random crash that keeps motherboard power on and the fan spinning, but nothing can be done - reset/power switch doesn't work, no video/audio output, etc. The only way to get the PC running again is to pull power for 10s and then it will boot. No errors are logged in Windows whenever it happens.

I have extensively tested CPU and RAM for stability and had no issues. This RAM/MB/NVME drive was used previously with a 2600 for 3 years with no issues. Problems arise when I do any sort of GPU tests, with the crashes immediately happening. 

I tried manually setting GPU voltage to 1.25 and it gives me about 10s of stability before the crashes continue.

Manually setting clock speeds to -anything- in BIOS result in crashes as soon as it's left the BIOS image screen.

Watching HWInfo while initially loading a GPU test, some weird behaviour occurs. GPU clock speeds get pinned at 1500mhz, with VDDCR_CPU voltage rising to 1.55v. A second before the crash occurs, VDDCR_CPU voltage drops to 1.137 (with nothing else changing) and then everything dies.

Suggestions?

0 Likes
2 Replies
kurdtnz
Adept III

It was always my understanding that B550 boards did not support the Ryzen 3000 series iGPU's but there are a few now that do but looking at your motherboards cpu support list, the 3400G is not on it.

0 Likes

Out of the dozen or so people, all familiar with AMD and in the IT industry, who I've spoken to in the last few days - why has nobody pointed this out to me? Hahaha.

I remember thinking about that when I first threw a B450 in here, but then realised it only had DVI out and I wanted HDMI. I swapped to the B550 and totally forgot about it.

FWIW if anybody finds this in the future - that board is not compatible with 3400G's, even if it boots and runs fine except for GPU usage.