cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BirdTech
Adept II

3 RMAs, 4 crashing while idle problems. WHEA-18 nightmare with 5900x. Looking for insight.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC)
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus FM Series 750w (SSR-750FM) 80 Plus Gold
Motherboard: MPG B550 GAMING PLUS (BIOS 7C56v17)
GPU: XFX R9 290X Black Edition (Only Used part in the system - Confirmed working fine in old build each time I had to send an RMA in)

It persists across every 5900x I've put in this system - Crashing while idle. It only seems to be stable when running a game or Blender. It does this no matter what BIOS settings I change around. Positive curve offsets, Power Supply Idle Control set to Typical, PBO and PB2 disabled, C-States disabled, PSS/Cool n Quiet Disabled. It does this while the ram is at stock 2133 with no XMP/DOCP or manual overclocks. The RAM has also passed several MemTest86 USB boot tests, the ones that take like 4 hours and cycle through a whole battery of tests 4 times. G.Skill also claims that these specific sticks are compatible with the B550 gaming plus.

I've RMA'd this CPU as my troubleshooting solution so many times because of a few things: The first is that I've mostly seen resolutions with this specific issue when people RMA the CPU. Sometimes they can tweak some BIOS settings, but largely I see "Sent the CPU off to AMD, replacement working perfectly". In fact, I've seen a few stories where people bought a new PSU and Motherboard and still had the issue, which is why I've held off on that move for so long.

The second major reason is that AMD has approved the past 3 RMA requests. They said they tested them and found them faulty each time. Why should I assume the other parts in my system are to blame if AMD says they found a problem in the CPU? The main reason I'm giving up and asking for outside advice is this Corporate doublespeak in the "RMA Passed" email.
"Disclaimer: The content of this email is provided for informational purposes only. AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of the content or of the information provided and reserves the right to change such information at any time without notice."
Which makes me feel like maybe it's more cost effective for them to send me a replacement without testing it. I really don't know at this point. I called my local trusted PC repair store to see if they had an AM4 CPU to test the system with but they don't. I'm considering buying a new motherboard and asking if they have other parts to test the system with. If I can't get a different CPU then surely a swap around of board, RAM, and PSU will determine if something's wrong. It's just such a hard problem to test in a reasonable amount of time. It took 2 days of off-and-on idle use for the problem to appear on this 4th attempt. How can I tell a repair shop "Yeah just browse youtube for 8 hours to see if it crashes"?

If you're going to suggest changing voltages, I've already tried positive curve offsets and honestly don't want to pump more electricity into a high-performance chip that people are undervolting for longevity's take.

0 Likes
36 Replies