cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

misterj
Big Boss

2990WX/W10 scheduler problem

Here is an interesting article on the latest W10 scheduler problem.  MS is working on a fix.  It provides a link to coreprio.exe (free utility) which is a temporary (and probably flawed) workaround.  I have tried it with significant improvement in Indigo Supercar Bench of about 65% (4.325 -> 7.254).  There was no improvement for the Bedroom Bench).  It did not help Cinebench.  All these test saturated PPT and TDC and I had to raise them to get these numbers.  Here is a screenshot of Ryzen Master:CB.jpg

Using this RM 'CB Profile', CB score went from 5040 to 5724.

I found in ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf this explanation for the '--%' always showing for EDC for the 2990WX:

EDC-TR.jpg

Any questions/comments?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
8 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

My system:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on

MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,

Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

I installed coreprio.exe a few weeks ago and didn't see much improvement in the indigo benchmark that I ran so I uninstalled it. Maybe I should have tested it more.  My PPT is 250w limit 700w, TDC 215 limit 380, edc 256 limit 450.  Is that too low?  It looks like you raised all yours?

0 Likes

Yes, cgorange, I raised all even the EDC which I do not know if it makes any difference.  I observed when they hit 100% and then decided to increase them or not.  I think 54C was about maximum temperature, so still have some room.  Please post a screenshot of your Ryzen Master (RM).  Use the camera icon at the top of the reply window.  If the Indigo Supercar Bench does not improve a lot (60%), then Stop coreprio, Restart system, Start coreprio and try again.  I found coreprio to be a bit dodgy but remember it is a third party temp fix.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Will whoever deleted all the posts below here, please PM me and tell me why it was done and how to recover the ones I really want to keep in the thread.  Why did all this happen without my knowledge or permission?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I am still waiting for an explanation for my lost posts.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

I was contacted by a moderator and it was explained that when the users I asked to delete their posts (as not relevant)  from this thread that a forum default setting caused many other replies to get deleted.  Sounds like a bug to me.  They are lost and gone forever, just like Clementine.

The part of this thread that got deleted discussed two hangs I saw while running coreprio.exe.  I removed it and my hangs stopped.  The author, Jeremy Collake, responded here blaming my system.  I had no other hangs before updating to coreprio version 0.0.5.2 or after removing it.  I installed it again yesterday and have run it since with no problems and continue to run it all the time.  A curious side effect its that I have run Indigo Bench 5 or 6 times and every time saw a significant performance improvement in both the bedroom and super car bench.  I see none of the random good/poor results.  I cannot explain it except for changes in W10.  I am now running W10 x64 1809.17763.348.  I was probably running 1803 then but cannot really say.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

There really hasn't been any resolution for this issue just band-aid fixes, one from a 3rd party CorePrio, the other from AMD themselves in the form of Ryzen Master's DLM.  But if you install the latest version of Ryzen Master you will see the DLM option missing as I mentioned here Updated to Ryzen Master 2.0.0.1192 lost DLM for my 2990wx . Seems like AMD moved on when they launched Ryzen 3000 last July, and they've definitely turned the page now that Threadripper 3 is out. 

I hear that Microsoft has been saying that Windows 10 is their last operating system and from here on there will just be updates. This is bad news in my opinion as it would mean Microsoft will never fix their scheduler as such a change I would think would require they rebuild Windows from the ground up. 

Many people last year mistaken May 1903 Windows update as resolution to AMD CPU issues, it was but it was a problem that affected all Ryzen CPUs CCX including Threadripper, but to date there's been nothing to address Threadripper's specific NUMA core issue.  AMD in their sly way redesigned Threadripper 3 to work around NUMA limitations which is why X399 and TR4 socket have been made obsolete. 

There is truth to this. A resolution to the 2990wx issues on Windows will probably never happen. That said, I don't hold AMD or Microsoft at particular fault. The 2990wx was a novel architecture, so we shouldn't have been surprised there were novel scheduling problems. I don't think the number of affected users and applications are sufficient to ever be impetus for a scheduled fix from Microsoft, especially given the risk inherent in any change at that level. And, as you note, newer AMD processors don't share this issue, so now the world is moving on.

For my part, I am grateful for the opportunity to offer third-party solutions wherever possible, though obviously can only do so much.

0 Likes