cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pheidian
Journeyman III

2990wx benchmarking inconsistent?

I wonder if anyone else has the similar issue. I'm running 2990wx benchmark and comparing it to the office double xeon machine. at office I get pretty consistent +-50 points results every time, but with Ryzen I jump +-600 points at some times, just pressing run cpu test again after low score and it jumps up 500 points or so. I'm puzzled why the speed seems to vary so much...

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

pheidian, I have a 2990WX but do not know what the "2990wx benchmark", is.  So, please tell me and maybe a link and I'll try it.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Post your HW specifications.  Here are mine:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, Aquantia 10 GbpS Ethernet NIC, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-

Mine is very consistent when running benchmarks.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
pheidian
Journeyman III

Sorry, I forgot to say. What I ment was Cinebench R15. I'm running currently a bit weird config on the ryzen, since my Lightwave 2015 cannot run on 64 threads, so I have to park 8 cores, to run on 24 cores and 48 threads (64 threads normal use crashes the Lightwave 2015 instantly on launch, or when opening image editor, this way it's stable).

I've configured the settings currently with 24 cores so, that I get optimal 4200 points in Cinebench. Anyway, when I first run Cinebench, I usually get 3700 points, then around 3900, and then after 3 or more runs in a row I get the 4200 ballpark where it should be with this config. It was the same with original setup with 64 threads as well (getting way lower results at first, and faster after multiple tries).

I've got Ryzen 2990wx

1000W psu

MSI X399-E Gaming motherboard
32 gig 2666Mhz memory (Kingston cl19 DDR4)
GTX 1060 6gb
Windows 10 pro 64bit

I'm wondering if it's the memory speed that I have lower? Or something else. Anyway, the benchmark is not consistent at all no matter how I configure my Ryzen to run...

0 Likes

pheidian, with no screenshot of RM, I can only guess.  My wild guess is that your cooler is not adequate, but I do not even know what cooler you are using.  There are four quantities that will cause throttling - PPT, TDC, EDC and temperature.  I doubt it is the memory.  Are you interested in determining out why your system crashes on 64 threads?  Do other user users of Lightwave 2015 have the same problem?  Here is my RM Profile to run CB:

pastedImage_1.jpg

Please notice I have increased the limits on PPT and TDC.  EDC is broken for out processor but AMD says they will fix it.  Here are the processor specifications:

pastedImage_2.jpg

Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: I ran Cinebench 3 times :12250, 12263 and 12205.  PPT pegged at 250 Watts (RED) and TDC went to 91% of 300 Amperes.  Score would be better  if I lifted PPT limit

0 Likes