cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lilith5th
Adept II

Re: 2700X random freeze

I wouldnt worry about the ram or the CPU frequency (dont bother reducing it)

keep the ram at stock speed (3200), since I'm running mine at 3000 attm, and no problems.

I'm 99% sure the problem is caused by voltage "deficiency" in the system, and would happen no matter what speed you are running your system at.
Since ryzen is dynamicaly changing the voltage and frequency, the freeze most likely happens when it undervolts it self.

Loadline calibration seems to do  the trick for me, and at one point I even tried overvolting my cpu/dram to narrow down the problem to voltage.

keeping my fingers crossed it works for you.

I'll test if the "powersaver" mode or "balanced" works for me in a few days, when my workload is reduced.

P.S. except for the "performance" power mode, when you installed the chipset drivers, you should get "ryzen power preset" or smthn like that. You might give it a test as well... but I didnt have more patience to test it thoroughly so I stuck with the "performance" mode.

0 Likes
sob0
Adept I

Quick update: I leave my cpu and ram frequency at stock [auto boost, auto vcore\ ram@3200].

I rise the LLC to lv5 (highest) and I switch to performance mode.

At the moment I haven't got any freeze issue.

I am sure too that the problem is the lack of vcore, specially when from idle the cpu boost only 1 core to 4.3.

I will test this setting for a week, than try a different power plan (usually I prefer balanced windows rather than ryzen balanced 'cause it give me less vcore spikes at idle, and most important the cpu stop going up and down from 29°C to 45°C, than back, and again and again [...] with no workload).

I'll come back with my results.

Thank you again.

sob0
Adept I

Happy to say that LLC5 and High Performance work for me for now.

Before these changes my computer froze up 5\6 times a day at idle.

I even undervolted my cpu with a negative offset of -0.1V and it's rock solid.

This morning I wanted to try to change the powerplan to <balanced> and my system froze up after 20min (settings: min cpu 5% - max 100%)

So for me high performance works so well.

Maybe I can try 2 more changes:

- switch to a lower LLC and see how it behaves

- switch to Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and test it (maybe with min cpu at 100% like in high perfomance)

0 Likes
lilith5th
Adept II

in the meantime, I've disabled "core performance boost" in bios. - just as a precautionary measure, and hopefully will allow me to clock the CPU at 4Ghz at all cores.

I have switched to Ryzen Balanced for the past 2 days. There has been no crashes, but the PC wasnt being used a lot, so it hasnt been properly benchmarked.

personally, I hope to end up using the "powersave" features, since the PC is on 24/7, as a media/asset library, and the power bill adds up eventually.

as for "balanced" power plan, I think thats the only noticable difference in "Ryzen Balanced" -  the min CPU usage is differently configured. (Ryzen is 10%). So by just adjusting that variable to 10%, even the windows default power plan should work. - but I'll get to testing it eventually.

I've also contacted my distributor about warranty, and return policy, and considering switching to threadripper. I only hope that TR doesnt have these problems as well.

0 Likes
bravomike
Journeyman III

I have same problem, but with Ryzen 5 2600. I solved my problem after 2 months.

I made some tests and discovered some errors/bugs.

Error 1- (standard cooler box) the Ryzen 5 2600 standard cooler box was overloading the CPU against the socket causing freezing. When testing with the a6 9500 cooler box the freezing has stopped.  I put the standard R5 2600 cooler box and tightened the screws less, just the one needed to keep it firm and the freezes stopped.

Error 2- (Driver AMD for chipset) However, when I installed AMD drivers for my chipset and selected the "AMD balanced plan" option the freezes came back. I unistalled AMD chipset, and selected the option "high performance" and the freezes ceased. I did this with A6 9500 (buy to update bios) because of the constant freezes, but after select high perfomance and put R5 2600 the freezing stopped.

But...

Error 3- (Updates for Windows defender) Any other likely cause of freezing is Windows Defender, after a few days of normal use, when updating the windwos defend the freezes returned, so I uninstalled the updates and disabled Windows Defender and windows update.

After doing all this I'm using for 4 days and that does not present freezing, I did tests leaving 12 hours on and there was no freezing. Stress tests in aida64 and apparently without errors.

I thinks solved my problem of freezing.

Other problem that  I have read in forums.

1- Cpu defective, only AMD can attest this

2- Update the version of Windows 10 to the latest

4- Incompatibilities of memories

5- SSD / hd defective

6- Outdated Bios or Bios Error

0 Likes
sob0
Adept I

As I wrote before, I swap to high performance and all the problem are gone.

I tried ryzen power plan, balanced power plan, none of these worked.

Seems like my cpu can't handle to drop vcore under 1V. (Maybe a faulty cpu?)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

0 Likes
lilith5th
Adept II

I just tried tinkering with power plans, and realized that Ryzen Balanced is actually min processor state 90%..and not 10... which is absurd.

I then came across this article; But I expected thing to change since April '17....

Ryzen Power Plan Update: Min. Frequency 90%, Disables Core Parking | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds ...

0 Likes
lilith5th
Adept II

amd ignores the issue. Reddit, and this forum are littered with these sort of problems, and AMD hasnt made a public address on the issue.
It's obviously a power setting issue, since even the "Ryzen power plan" aims in that direction, and on both my and @sob0 case, the Loadline calibration fixes it.

samx
Adept II

Did you guys manage to fix it? I'm having the same issue with my ryzen 1600 :/ always cashing on idle :/

0 Likes
lilith5th
Adept II

1) manually install latest chipset drivers and bios (from board manufacturer),

2) set power mode in windows to "Performance";
3)In your bios setting, set your

CPU VCORE Loadline calibration  

VCORE SOC Loadline calibration         

to high/turbo/extreme

(except for power mode "Performance", you could try "Ryzen Balanced", but I havent had the chance to test it properly)