Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

samfi
Journeyman III

2700x on a Asus Strix X470F motherboard

Hi,

I bought this combination a few days ago. Switching my old z170 and i7 7700k.
Swapping the board and cpu and connecting only a empty SSD (sata), and 1080Ti.
Installed latest bios and installed windows 10.
Problems so far:
-Corevoltage above 1.5 volts
-Random blackscreens and system hangs where I really have to pull the powercord from the PSU.
-Qleds, without changing something in the bios, they turn orange or white or nothing at all.

knowing that the same parts worked perfectly 8 hours before in the intel combination.

What's with the Vcore? +1.5 is unreal, no?
Can't find any info about voltages stated by AMD.
What are the weird system freezes?

Tips on this board and CPU are welcome.
Hope I can read them before CPU is burned.

Thanks

0 Likes
9 Replies

Update the BIOS.

0 Likes

First thing I did when firing up de PC.
So I was running lastest BIOS rev.

0 Likes
walterc
Journeyman III

hi, I have the same problem with a b350 strix-i. I changed the power supply the displayport cable disconnected useless peripherals and updated the bios ... nothing to do. keeps crashing at random, even in idle. first, with the 1700x I had no problem.

today I asked for the replacement.

do you remember the batch number?

0 Likes

Hi Walter,

I first installed the latest Bios.
Then I try to gather as much info as possible and start to swap parts.
2 different 1080ti's, a 980ti and a 580 for GPU's.
Ram: Corsair 3000Mhz LPX cl15 16gb 2*8 kit, but I also tried a set G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB.
PSU: Corsair RM650X and a Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W Platinum.
I even switched monitors, 1440P 144Hz and a 1080p 120Hz.

All of this didn't do any good.
Badgenumbers I don't know, but if you can tell me how the number looks, I can look it up.
Made pictures before RMA the stuff.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

This may be an issue with the core performance boost.  The system will boost to a higher vcore if only two threads are populated, as the heat can be safely dissipated.  Try disabling the core performance boost in the UEFI.  Also, disable any RAM XMP profile, and see if you have improved stability at stock settings.

It could be a solution but, in my opinion it is not. we are talking about a feature that should work at default, manageable with an original heatsink. Damn, if i have to disable the core performance boost i was holding the 1700x. if we talked about precision boost overdrive i'll give you reason

0 Likes

I don't think the high voltages in PB2 are a problem.  When boosting just two cores, the TDP at that voltage is still well within the dissipation abilities of the stock cooler.  As for the strange crashes, I would again trying disabling any XMP profile on the RAM and see if the crashes resolve.  If they do, you can try manually entering the timings and see if the system will be stable. 

If the system is unstable with XMP disabled, I would try to disable the core performance boost.  Mostly this is just troubleshooting to nail down where exactly the problem is.

I would like to know the problem to me too. I already tried the ram at 2133 c15. yesterday I played safely for 2 hours made an half hour of occt with @default bios and no problem. today, after 10 minutes, in idle, everything is blocked. I will be stubborn but turn off the core performance boost does not seem an acceptable solution .. I just have to change the mb ... I repeat that with 1700x I've never had problems

0 Likes

I changed my AMD setup for another brand, sorry AMD, and that one worked without hassle.
Finetuning okay but messing all up, no.
Also, the original cooler, which looks very nice, worked fine. But mounting my AIO liquid cooler was also a big nono.
The cooler didn't fasten well. There was a amount of play and the heat dissipation was not even near the original cooler.
But not all things are bad.
I installed a similar system today, for a coworker, but with a Prime board.
System runs butter smooth. No tweaking necessary.
Same numbers and figures as I had written down, all without problems.

0 Likes