cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

guftabi96
Newcomer

2700X high temperatures with several coolers.

Last summer i bought a Ryzen 2700X and a MSI X470 Gaming Pro motherboard. Back than i noticed that my temperatures are high (80+) with my ID-Cooling SE214x cooler so i bought a Scythe Mugen 5 rev B. Temperatures were still high with this much better cooler. With pbo it still went up to ~85 celsius. When i checked the heatsink it wasn't hot at all, just a little warm on the bottom half. Because of that i thought that maybe i have software problem and i waited. (tried manual voltage, at 1,36v with 4ghz there was thermal shutdown).

After more than half a year and after several software, chipset and bios updates my temperatures were still high so i changed my cooler because i thought that maybe the Mugens base not connected well with the ihs. (it wasn't perfectly flat, but as i read it's normal that some coolers base is not totally flat).

My new cooler is an Alpenföhn Brocken 3 but the problem is still here. Without pbo, on stock settings it reaches 70 celsius while the fan is spinning at it's maximum rpm. (and the vcore is only 1,23v, so pretty low).

If I enable the pbo, it reaches 85 celsius. (vcore is 1,33v). And the heatsink is the same as the Mugen 5: the bottom half of it is a bit warm, and the upper half is like when the computer doesn't run. My vga-s heatsink is definitely much warmer even in idle (the gpu is 45 celsius).

If i manually set the vcore to 1,31v and the cpu's clock to 4ghz, it reaches 84,5 celsius. If i try something like 1,36 or more volts, my computer shuts down after it is nearly reaches 100 celsius. Both the Mugen 5 and the Brocken 3 is a much better cooler, that should handle these volts.

I also tried to use the stock cooler which comes with the cpu, the results are the same. With pbo, it reaches 85 celsius.

I don't know what should i do. I think that maybe the soldering on the processor is not perfect.

Of course i mounted all of the coolers properly (you can't even mount wrong these coolers). I used good and perfect amount of thermal paste. Not too much and not too little.

Of course i tried different programs to monitor my temps: Ryzen Master, Aida, HWinfo64. All of them shows me the same.

Airflow in the case is good (i had also an overclocked AMD FX system with an overclocked R9 280, and never had thermal problems).

Thanks for the help in advance.

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

guftabi96, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  RM is the only valid reporter of CPU Temperature.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Temperatures are the same. I can do the rest later (without pbo, with manual voltage etc.) when i have time. But they will be the same with Ryzen Master like this:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

guftabi96, your processor specifications:

pastedImage_1.jpg

85C is your maximum temperature, so you are against the wall.  I am unfamiliar with most of your coolers.  Are any of them water?  Please plug all fans directly into 12 Volts.  I would suggest you try to get rid of the RED TDC.  You have reached the default limit (114 Amperes) but hopefully you can change the limit in the BIOS.  I would raise it in BIOS then use PBO to raise it in RM.  I would suggest you do a Clear CMOS, then set the TDC in BIOS then run and get another screenshot.  This time click on the RM window and use Alt-print screen.  This should capture RM only.  What software are you running for load testing?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

None of them water, but both the Scythe Mugen 5 and the Alpenföhn Brocken 3 are very good mid tier coolers. They both should easily handle this cpu, even on higher vcore, like 1,4v.

But as i said, my coolers heatsink doesn't get hot. When the cpu is running at 85 degrees for like an hour, the heatsink is still slightly warm but not near as hot as it should be. The heat transfer is bad. That's why i think that the soldering is bad on the IHS.

I had an FX cpu before, the heatsinks were much hotter even though they ran a lot cooler than this Ryzen.

I tried not even cmos reset, but all the bios updates which were released for my motherboard.

I use Prime95, but it can reach these temps from other stress tests and programs as well, for example Battlefield V.

0 Likes

guftabi96, I suggest you contact AMD Online Support and see if they will provide an RMA.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes