Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

technomancer
Adept I

2700x cpu stuck on heatsink

my ryzen 2700x is stuck on the prism cooler

I have been soaking it in alcohol, used q-tips soaked in alcohol to get thermal paste off the sides, also tried credit card and floss.

I also bought the ArctiClean 60ml Kit and it didn't help.

before all the cleaning. (idk why the forum rotated the image the cpu pins are looking up)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329924458724982784/584042648780931123/IMG_20190531_183250.jpg

after the cleaning (again cpu pins look up)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/339711015984037888/585515938061746297/IMG_20190604_200930.jpg

0 Likes
7 Replies

Generally other Users tries to run the CPU so that it heats up and then try and remove the CPU Cooler.

But since the Ryzen came off the Motherboard socket it is best not to try and put it back without risking damaging the processor by bending its delicate pins.

This Wiki shows how to heat up the CPU with a Heat gun. Seems like you did the other methods mentioned in the article: How to Remove a Processor Fused to a Heatsink: 7 Steps 

Try applying heat to the actual CPU Cooler heat sink and not the processor and see if you are able to twist it off once it the heat sink gets fairly hot to the touch.

can I get the heatsink too hot and damage the cpu?

btw before i tried to remove the cpu it was on bios and the processor was about at 50 c when i shut down the computer

0 Likes

no need to get it red hot. Just hot enough to loosen up the dried Thermal paste. Apply heat for a few seconds to the Heat sink copper tubing (about 1" Inch away) and try carefully and slowly twisting the processor by it edges. Keep heating the copper tubing until the processor finally comes off. 

Make sure the heat is not applied directly to the Processor or you might damage it.

NOTE: Doesn't matter now if the Thermal Paste was working fine or not. You removed the Processor from the Motherboard socket when you removed the CPU Cooler. The point is moot now.

I believe you need to install the Ryzen Processor with the Orange Frame to prevent the pins from being damaged during installation.

If you failed to remove the processor then it is best to take it to a computer repair shop for them to remove it safely.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

technomancer, I have no suggestions for you, but please tell us what thermal paste you used.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

the one already on the cooler when I bought it a year ago

0 Likes

technomancer, thanks much.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

the heat gun approach is hit and miss when the thermal material has failed

I use arctic mx-4 which lasts longer than any hardware I own  and it is good at its job

0 Likes