cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Journeyman III

2600x vcore 1.5 volts HELP!

Hi,

I just recently switch from Intel and bought a Ryzen 2600x and Gigabyte x470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING for streaming and editing.

When I installed Ryzen Master I noticed that my vcore voltage is jumping from 0.7 to 1.45 and sometimes higher like 1.5 volts. (in CPU Z the voltage is always 0.2 or 0.3 volts higher though).

Tried to adjust this in bios but you can't really do much in this bios. So i left it at stock.

I did a bios update and now it seems to jump only up to 1.45. When I open the bios sometimes it still jumps up to 1.5 while in bios but when I'm in windows it doesn't do that.

The interesting thing is when I stress test with prime 95 the voltage stays at 1.35 all the time in ryzen master (in CPU Z 1.38).

I can adjust voltage on Ryzen master to 1.3 but then it just stays at that and doesn't decrease. (cpu z 1.32). After restarting the PC it's back to standard settings.

My questions are:

Is this voltage damaging the CPU?

How can I set the voltage so it would decrease when not needed and increase to 1.3 under load?

I read something about XFR increasing voltage for a brief moment is that it? A lot of people seem to have this voltage issue.

Is it bad to run the system at 1.3 volts all the time?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Journeyman III

up

0 Likes
seahawkshunt
Adept II

"Is this voltage damaging the CPU?" No, this is normal voltage for your configuration. The ~1.5v is to guarantee stability, this voltage is only applied when only 1 or 2 cores are being used and the voltage is only for a brief time (think microseconds). As the cores scales up for use the voltage will scale down accordingly.

e.g. 1 or 2 cores active=~1.48v, 3 or 4 cores active ~1.4v and so on until 6 cores 12 threads active ~1.35v.

CPU-Z is great but not to monitor voltages. Try HWmonitor or HWinfo64, this will give you a much better idea of actual voltage and watts being used during load and idle. Also there are 2 different readings, the CPU core voltage (SV12 TFN) and VDDCR CPU. This will differ ~0.50v during load. The CPU SV12 TFN is the voltage you want to be looking at. Ryzen master and CPU-Z read the VDDCR voltage and at load it is higher than actual voltage on SV12 TFN.

"How can I set the voltage so it would decrease when not needed and increase to 1.3 under load?"  Make sure you have C-states enabled in your BIOS/UEFI this should allow vcore to drop to ~0.750v during idle (for any configuration, stock or under/overclocked). 1.3v is not enough vcore for XFR2 and precision boost to work, so if you want 1.3v max on vcore you need to turn off core performance boost and precision  boost overdrive (BIOS/UEFI AMD CBS options) and manually overclock.

"Is it bad to run the system at 1.3 volts all the time?" No it is not bad, as long as the system is stable at the clock you set . Undervolting will result in lower performance, unless you are lucky and can run higher clocks at lower voltages than stock which would be 4.25ghz@~1.45v (your stock config with XFR2 and performance boost).

Best of luck o7