Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

siz
Journeyman III

2600X defective PCIE lanes?

Hello,

I have an extremely frustrating problem. When using PCI-E 16x Gen 3 for my Nvidia Geforce 1060 I experience stutters/dpc latency all the time in Windows, not to mention in games (dxgkernl.sys, ntskrnl.exe, nvlddmkm.sys). Forcing PCIe x16 Gen 1, it works fine

Here is a video demonstrating it: PCIe 3.0 - det hakker med tydelig latency - YouTube​. With PCIe Gen 1: PCIe 1.0 - Det kører som det skal - YouTube

First I thought it was the motherboard (ASRock Fatal1ty AB350M Gaming), so bought a new Asus ROG Strix X470 F Gaming, but have the exact same problem. Then I tried a Radeon HD4890 and R9 380 without stutters, so naturally the graphics card should be the culprit!

However, the graphics card works fine without stutters in my old Intel i5 i2500k, Asrock z77 itx system (PCIe Gen 2) and my brothers i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (PCIe Gen 3)! The systems are both running Windows 7 64 bit. To be sure, I installed Windows 7 64 bit today, but I have the same issues on Windows 7

System:

• AMD Ryzen R5 2600X
  • Asus ROG Strix X470F Gaming
  • G.SKill Ripjaws V F4-3200C14D-16GVK
  • Palit Gefore GTX 1060 DUAL 6GB
  • Crucial M4 128 GB SATA SSD
  • Corsair RM550 Power supply

I have tried disabling all power management settings in bios and windows, tried different bioses, set powers to max, installed 5-6 different Nvidia drivers, tried the 2 latest AMD chipsets drivers, disabled audio/lan in bios, reverted windows 10 back to 1709, installed windows 7. Everything is running at stock, no OC on CPU or GPU. The RAM is running at 3200 MHz, same issues occur with 2133 MHz.

TL;DR

Expericing dpc latency, according to latencymon -> Nvidia drivers. Tried swapping MB = still problems, tried different drivers for gfx, chipsets etc., and 2 different windows = still problems, tried 2 AMD gfx cards in my system = no problems, tried my nvidia gfx in 2 other systems = no problems.

I seriously do not know what to do next. Changing the PCIe BUS speed to Gen 1 works (using regedit for ASUS, doesn't have BIOS Setting in contrast to Asrock).

The only reason I am suspecting the 2600X is due to the PCIe lanes going through the CPU..

0 Likes
4 Replies
siz
Journeyman III

Ran memtest86 for 3 hours while I was away, no errors.

Idk if the CPU just doesn't like the GPU or vice versa, maybe a chipset pci driver problem?

0 Likes
siz
Journeyman III

Well got an update.

Tried a friend's 1060 3GB, that works fine with my 2600X. I also lent a R3 1200, that also stutters as posted here. I am though still baffled that my 1060 works fine with a i7 4770k...

Well, nothing else to do than do RMA my graphics card and hope they are running ryzen?

0 Likes

check for a BIOS update for your B350 board, I am aware there are still problems stabilizing the platform

stutter is well known with NVIDIA cards but not do not post what CPU/motherboard is use so i cannot pin it down better

your PSU may be slightly overloaded too, I usually go for 650W to have a cousin but the 550W should be ok with the hardware disclosed

1. Don't have the B350 motherboard as I replaced it with a ASUS X470 Strix as mentioned in the OP, and it's on latest BIOS.
  2. Yes, I have read A LOT about Nvidia and dpc latency/stutter, but usually those problems are specific to a driver iteration, and people have resolved by going back to a older driver or a newer driver. I have testet god knows how many, both on Windows 10 and 7, without any luck.
  3. My PSU is a Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold efficiency, and it should be more than capable, as I am not running an OC or SLI/Crossfire. Even with an OC 4.3 GHz and a 1080ti at full load it shouldn't go past 480W.

AFAIK All I can do is RMA the graphics card, say it doesn't work with a AMD Ryzen system.

0 Likes