cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

white_rogue
Journeyman III

2400g solid green screen crash with no text.

Built a budget desktop for my kids:

2400g w/ stock cooling

8gb G Skill Aegis single stick

Gigabyte B350 gaming 3

WD Blue 1tb

Corsair VS 500

Windows 10 Pro

17.7 AMD drivers

Bios is F22 (most recent and supports Raven Ridge)

When they try and play Minecraft after about 15 minutes the screen turns solid green and the computer freezes. The highest temp I've seen on CPU or GPU is around 40c. Tried it on multiple monitors but all the same. uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers and updated everything related. looking for hopefully a quick fix, kind of hard to explain to them why it doesn't just work when in my opinion it should. Havent tried any other games yet because I'm trying to keep it offline and I don't want steam on there.

0 Likes
104 Replies
powerarmour
Journeyman III

I've also had the green screen issue, but I have a reproducible black screen issue also.

Hardware:

Ryzen 5 2400G

Noctua NH-L9A-AM4

ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I mITX motherboard (BIOS 0601)

16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)

(Various 150W-650W PSU's tested, initially thought it was a power issue, but it isn't)

System is completely CPU (Prime95) and Memtest86 stable, turbo/core performance boost off, RAM @ 3200Mhz/DOCP.

Issue only presents when the GPU is under load, and then only certain games/benchmarks, what happens is that the screen will go black (monitor will lose connection, and yes, I've tried two different monitors...) and the system will freeze in the 'on' state, and I'm unable to shut the machine down by holding the power button, I have to manually disconnect the power cord, or shut off the PSU. Seems like a BIOS issue for me IMHO as it happens on both Win10 (both Q2 2018 & 18.5.1 drivers) and Linux, but can't prove it at the moment, though a driver alone 'shouldn't' hard lock a system like this.

These games/benchmarks cause the issue at the moment:

Tomb Raider (2013, Win10 and Linux (though Solus w/new Kernel/Mesa updates now seems okay))

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Win10 and Linux (Solus w/new Kernel/Mesa updates now seems okay also))

Bioshock Remastered

3DMark Cloud Gate

3DMark IceStorm Unlimited

3DMark Sky Diver (will occasionally run through fine, but usually crashes half way in Test 2)

Dark Souls Remastered

These games/benchmarks work perfectly fine without issue:

Doom (2016)

3DMark Firestrike

3DMark API Overhead Feature Test

SOMA (Win10 and Solus)

Dark Souls III

Trine 2 (Win10 and Solus)

0 Likes

I have also updated to the new ASUS X470-I bios 0804 and I still have the same issue unfortunately, black screens under graphics load.

0 Likes

i'm f*ck*ng sure that the main reason of this problem is the Graphics Driver. Because every time i got a Black screen display all i have to do is

press the WinKey+CTRL+Shift+B  and my display is back to normal.

AMDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD....    PLEASE UPDATE THE Graphics Driver  ASAP.

0 Likes

But before this drive I have the same problem.

Enviado do Email para Windows 10

De: onjingbonjing

Enviado:quinta-feira, 21 de junho de 2018 21:47

Para: João Victor Oliveira Pereira

Assunto: Re: 2400g solid green screen crash with no text. | AMD DeveloperForums

Community

Re: 2400g solid green screen crash with no text.

in Processors

i'm fckng sure that the main reason of this problem is the Graphics Driver. Because every time i got a Black screen display all i have to do is

press the WinKeyCTRLShift+B  and my display is back to normal.

AMDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD....    PLEASE UPDATE THE Graphics Driver  ASAP.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

1. Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

2. Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

3. Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

---

Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.

https://www.avast.com/antivirus

0 Likes
kbizzle
Adept I

I just want to add my input in hopes we come to a resolution. I personally built a 2200g system recently. After days of headaches just trying to figure out why things weren't working, all the way around, I finally got all hardware and software working properly. When I first built the system, I installed a set of Patriot Viper RAM, 2 x 4gb (8gb total). While playing modded Minecraft, I would get the Green Screen. It was always randomly with not particular triggers. It quickly became apparent that 8gb was not gonna be enough to support the GPU and the system while allocating 6gb to Minecraft. So I immediately went out and dropped nearly $200 on a 16gb kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM. Installed this kit with absolutely no changes to drivers, BIOS, etc..... Same symptoms. Randomly Green Screens. After reading and seeing all the other comments, there is really only a couple things it could be. Drivers or Motherboard/CPU/GPU compatibility. Below are my currents specs. Hopefully we can come to a conclusion. I have been very happy with the system since upgrading the RAM, other than this stupid Green Screen.

Side note: When this happens to me, I can literally hit the Windows key and bring the desktop back up. Then I immediately click the Minecraft icon and it goes right back to the game with no Green Screen. Absolutely silly IMO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 2 x 8gb (16gb)

PS: EVGA 450BT

HDD: Samsung SSD 160gb

MoBo: MSI B350M Gaming Pro BIOS 7A33v4B

0 Likes

After reinstalling chipset drivers and downgrading my radeon drivers to 17.7 im no longer experiencing green screens when playing games BUT when i try to play minecraft it green screens in 15 mins maximum.Did you try any other game?It might be something related to java

0 Likes

I wondered the same thing but if you read previous comments in this thread, others are saying they have the problem in other games.

0 Likes
zachmdful
Journeyman III

No longer having my very similar issue immediately after updating to 18.7.1

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8oijzn/june_tech_support_megathread/e0x0454/?context=3

0 Likes

Thanks. Will try it and see.

0 Likes
kbizzle
Adept I

I played a solid 2 hours this morning after installing the 18.7.1 driver. No green screen. Again, only a couple of hours of play but previously I was getting green screen 5-10 times in that span. Hopefully good news.

m12lrpv
Journeyman III

Installed 18.7.1 and it's been working 2 days of solid minecraft without issue.

0 Likes

I am guessing its still hit or miss. I haven't had one since the day I responded and said it had been fixed. I hope you get resolution on future driver updates.

0 Likes
layman13
Journeyman III

after the 18.7 drivers installed i had no bsod or any other error while playing games.But occasionaly i will startup without audio needing to restart and very rarely i experience sudden power cuts.If anyone knows something about it reply here so i can fix these probs.

Edit: about the power cuts it seems UPS is up to blame because it happened again and i also lost monitor signal which would not happen if just he pc shut down.It's also strange that it did not happen when i was playing games and it happened while reaing an article -_-.

0 Likes

I have not personally run into any audio issues. I am still going strong with no Green Screen. I do get a message from Fortnite telling me the driver version isn't supported. LOL. I can just ignore it and it works fine.

I did have audio issues whenever I used an old Windows 10 disc and didn't update Windows fully. Make sure your Windows is completely up to date.

0 Likes

I have fully updated my windows and all the audio drivers i'll see if the problem still exists.

Thx for your help anyway tho.

0 Likes

Now the system will freeze randomly while browsing...Mostly youtube.The audio keeps working normally but just a frozen display.Turning on and off the monitor does nothing but a blackscreen.It's weird that does not happen in games...

Any idea what to do?

0 Likes

The Black/Green screen issue was very specific and the drivers have seem to have fixed it.

Your issues seem different though. Power issues, audio issues and hanging while browsing??? They're stability issues which is either a bad component or bad power.

It's unlikely the bad component is ram because you would be guarunteed to hit while gaming.

Bad disk is unlikely.

Have you tried bypassing your UPS as it may be limiting the flow of current to the machine?

0 Likes

Thx for your reply i'll check out if the ups is the issue. How can i check if i have a bad compoment?

0 Likes

Identifying bad components usually involves swapping it out and seeing if the problem goes away. Not always practical.

To be honest your issue could be anything and unfortunately with so much being on the mobo these days it could be the mobo.

0 Likes

I find it weird that it does not happen with intensive tasks like games and it happens while browsing.

0 Likes

With browsers like chrome being memory hogs and youtube video doing a lot of processing it's potentially resource intensive.

On the other hand you might have windows trying to download updates in the background and that causes the problem

0 Likes
bursz06
Journeyman III

how can i fix the Green screen?

if i play minecraft and LoL

please help me.. thank you so much!

0 Likes

for me it helped to bring the system to the latest version of BIOS every time a new version was launched:

ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac -- > P5.30

and graphics drivers:

radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-19.1.1-win10-64bit-jan20

month by month

since over 1/2 year there was no problem with the system. It's running completly smooth.

0 Likes
dc010
Journeyman III

Ok, so I think I have a proper solution and a guess as to why it happened. I'll start from the beginning and do a TL:DR at the end.

So I built a customer their computer, ran great for a bit, but then started getting random crashes, checked the logs and updated the graphics driver. The crashes stopped for a bit, then the green screens started... I fixed it so that windows couldn't update the graphics card driver and updated again, no change. Installed a graphics card, but still was having the same problem. Swapped out the processor, fresh windows, same problem. Put their hard drive into a new computer I had just built, ran for 4 days while was setting up the RMA on the potentially bad motherboard. Luckily this was over a weekend and on Monday they called and said it happened again. I bring it back to my shop and put a new hard drive in the original computer, it's the only part I moved over, must be the problem right? NOPE!!! So I started updating the BIOS, went to v31 like they said, then up to the newest v42a. Negative, immediate green screen on the windows installer, not even in the OS. I started really poking around in the BIOS to see what I could do. I don't have it in front of me anymore to say the exact menus, but I changed the default graphics from PCI-e to IGD and changed that from "auto" to 1gb. I'm pretty sure you could allocate more, but it's just an office computer. Suddenly I'm able to do a fresh install without any green, installed all our software, no green, installed newest windows updates, no green.

TL/DR  Guess: The motherboard is just really bad at trying to auto regulate the CPU, or at least it's allocated memory for the integrated graphics, so set it yourself.

0 Likes

Agreed. Worked for me too. I set it to 4gb and now all the kids’ games run and they are off my computer!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes